Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

W209 Sunroof issue... help please

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-13-2021, 09:18 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2003 CLK55 AMG
W209 Sunroof issue... help please

I have a 2003 CLK55 and the sunroof is giving me fits. To start, the roof is working perfectly in the tilt up/down mode and moves to close with no problems.
When opening the roof rewards the glass shifts with the driver side pulling back further maybe a 1/4 to 1/2 inch than the passenger side about halfway back. When I stop it I can pull the roof on the right side back to even it out.
Past the halfway position continuing backwards the cables begin to push out of the rail where they are housed. The top seems to begin to cease movement.
NOW I HAVE DONE the following things with the instructions on WIS and have viewed many youtube videos as well for ideas:
1) cleaned and greased the rails and checked for obstructions and none were found.
2) removed the sunroof motor inspected the gear and the teeth in the cable housing and everything looks good. I also used some metal washers to ensure there was no excessive movement with the motor.
3) removed the cable and inspected for kinks. I found some slight bends and straightened them and that some of the black sheathing was fraying just a tiny bit but not enough to cause binding. BTW the sheath was black and fuzzy and was wound in between the coils is this normal/ok?
4) reinstalled cable and motor, aligned the top and synced the roof and same s**t again!!!
ALL to the WIS guidelines. I am at a loss....nothing has broken or bent, nothing out of place. I found that the white Teflon guides for the rail need to be replaced but are still functional. BTW where do I get those white guides? No part number in EPC and can not find them on the internet. I hope I don't have to order a guide strut just to get the Teflon guides.
ANY ideas would be appreciated and yes I have spent 2 days scouring the forums and have yet to find an answer. I just keep having nickel and dime BS with this car, I need to fix this I am tired of being teased by my buddies for buying a used Benz. I am beginning to think I should have listened. I don't mind a few projects, that's fun but this thing is a nightmare. Tail light issues coming soon! It does run great with a tune and airbox from Renntech fun to drive which is why I haven't used it for target practice yet lol! Thank you in advance!

Last edited by glockkrieg1; 12-13-2021 at 09:35 PM.
The following users liked this post:
CaliBenzDriver (12-14-2021)
Old 12-15-2021, 12:15 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2003 CLK55 AMG
UPDATE...I went to LKQ and stripped all the parts out of a 06 CLK. I checked the function on the junk car and I worked as it should. I used the cables which were in as new shape, the tilt arms assembly with perfect Teflon guides all parts cost $67. I disassembled my roof, compared parts and the only things in better shape were the guides and cables. I believe that the cables ultimately were the cause of the problem due to the slight bend. I used all the parts I bought because they were newer in any case. I reassembled the roof and it worked perfectly! If you need new Teflon guides let me know I grabbed a few extra sets. I hope this helps somebody else and don't be afraid to tackle this issue it is not that hard.

Last edited by glockkrieg1; 12-15-2021 at 12:27 PM.
The following users liked this post:
CaliBenzDriver (12-15-2021)