Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

need help with custom kompressor

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-30-2004, 03:41 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by zofsak
I plan on putting the TB before the charger and hopefully will be able to add an intercooler at a later date. Since the air in a supercharger setup is not as superheated as that in a turbo setup the intercooler is not as effective at reducing intake air temp. I know how the system works and what goes where, but what I need is to see if I can use the stock intake and outlet piping in my setup to save on fabrication time and cost. Do you have any pics that you could email me or post? Thanks, Paul.
Please send us a photo and the cost of the final unit ...... that includes your time at say $5 per hour. My estimate is that your cost saving idea will end up around the $5000 mark + engine damage a few months after that.

And to think that someone who really wanted the unit was denied.
Old 09-30-2004, 06:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C230K Coupe/Orion/C4/C5/CD/AMG Spoiler/V60/TeleAid, 2 MGB's
I'll bet a donut and cup of coffee he toasts his engine before he "adds the intercooler at a later date".....

By the way....forum moderators.....he was not only rude, offensive and problematic....but WAY off topic!

Last edited by Rick; 09-30-2004 at 06:59 AM.
Old 09-30-2004, 06:58 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Rick
I'll bet a donut and cup of coffee he toasts his engine before he "adds the intercooler at a later date".....
Which flavour do you like. I like those jelly filled ones from Dunkin'

Didnt you know VW engines dont pre-detonate like MB ones do. Did someone say water injection kit ?

Dang ..... it would have been more fun getting the guy all the info he needed and watching to see what happens after that.
Old 09-30-2004, 09:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 C230K Sport Coupe, 1986 190E 2.3
Originally Posted by miroj
M45 from a W202 is a high compression SC for a low compression engine. These generalities are exciting tidbits but generally tangential to the problems being faced.

I did not say it was a good idea or not, just how to get it in there. Now myself I would love to do a 7 psi Turbo or SC on my 190E. But that is a 1986 with an 8:1 compression ratio. Now on a side note, most engines running at 9:1 or 10:1 should be able to handle a low boost SC or Turbo. The M45 in the SLK230 and C230K sedan of old was only running 7 psi or boost anyhow, and that is not high for an SC. At 7 psi you most likely will never really need an IC or to lower compression. But if he does want to lower compression he can always get a thicker head gasket to lower it a little and run like 5-6 lbs and be pretty safe. Then again he may just toast the engine!
Old 09-30-2004, 10:20 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by mctwin2kman
I did not say it was a good idea or not, just how to get it in there. Now myself I would love to do a 7 psi Turbo or SC on my 190E. But that is a 1986 with an 8:1 compression ratio. Now on a side note, most engines running at 9:1 or 10:1 should be able to handle a low boost SC or Turbo. The M45 in the SLK230 and C230K sedan of old was only running 7 psi or boost anyhow, and that is not high for an SC. At 7 psi you most likely will never really need an IC or to lower compression. But if he does want to lower compression he can always get a thicker head gasket to lower it a little and run like 5-6 lbs and be pretty safe. Then again he may just toast the engine!
It is a function of RPM .... there is no such thing as 7psi at 2000 RPM (engine RPM).
Old 10-01-2004, 11:48 PM

It is a function of RPM .... there is no such thing as 7psi at 2000 RPM (engine RPM).
Where does he mention anything about RPM?
Old 10-02-2004, 01:23 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by zofsak
Where does he mention anything about RPM?
Ah yes I forgot, you are the expert in this field. You and the Google workshop. Just do us all a favour and pump 18,000 SC RPM into your engine from the M45 and show us what happens.
Old 10-03-2004, 10:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 C230K Sport Coupe, 1986 190E 2.3
No ****, the max boost is at or near redline! Pulley size determines what the charger spins at max engine RPM! Just like in the stock C230K Cars!

Edit: You need to determine what RPM you want the charger to spin at and thus max boost based on what pulley you select! You do not need to spin the charger at its max you can spin it slower than its design limit. Just like how the people with a 2002 M111 motor due by increasing the crank pulley size to spin the charger faster and thus create more boost. Same as installing a smaller Pulley on the charger on a Ford Lightning!

Last edited by mctwin2kman; 10-03-2004 at 10:50 AM.
Old 10-03-2004, 06:37 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by mctwin2kman
No ****, the max boost is at or near redline! Pulley size determines what the charger spins at max engine RPM! Just like in the stock C230K Cars!

Edit: You need to determine what RPM you want the charger to spin at and thus max boost based on what pulley you select! You do not need to spin the charger at its max you can spin it slower than its design limit. Just like how the people with a 2002 M111 motor due by increasing the crank pulley size to spin the charger faster and thus create more boost. Same as installing a smaller Pulley on the charger on a Ford Lightning!
Make no difference how fast it spins if the cylinder pre-detonates.
Old 10-03-2004, 08:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C230K Coupe/Orion/C4/C5/CD/AMG Spoiler/V60/TeleAid, 2 MGB's
I do believe this is so far OFF TOPIC....that it needs to be moved. I wonder if the moderators can move it to a BOLTSWAGEN forum?
Old 10-04-2004, 11:46 PM

Originally Posted by Rick
I do believe this is so far OFF TOPIC....that it needs to be moved. I wonder if the moderators can move it to a BOLTSWAGEN forum?
... and this little piggy cried all the way home
Old 10-08-2004, 05:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Enzo, my Benzo
Wow....to the a$$h0l3s that had nothing productive to say, do you actually think you are witty and cool? Highschool was quite a few years ago for me, but I don't remember it being as ghey as this thread. STFU if you have no relevant info.
Old 10-08-2004, 06:36 PM

Received 14 Likes on 3 Posts
Anybody mentioned fuel yet??? What are ya gonna do about ensuring a proper air fuel ratio??? If you think the fuel injection will "take care of itself" then you better have a few spare engines available. BTW a turbo would probably be a far better route to go.... The supercharger doesn't care what motor its bolted to, so it WILL work, it just seems like a lot of hassle. Are there any aftermarket kits available to fulfill your need for boost instead?
Old 10-08-2004, 07:29 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by ZorroAMG
Wow....to the a$$h0l3s that had nothing productive to say, do you actually think you are witty and cool? Highschool was quite a few years ago for me, but I don't remember it being as ghey as this thread. STFU if you have no relevant info.
Keep telling him not to do it ..... but hey im looking forward to the seeing how the engine performs with 300-400 new moving parts.
Old 05-01-2010, 07:48 AM

smart Brabus, bmw e21 gruppe 2 touring car
im doing the same conversion on my bmw
i got the supercharger free so might aswell bolt it on
and just to really upset you im turbo charging it aswell.
times are good right