Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

If vehicles engine shuts off while moving - is there lights on dash?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-17-2022, 10:44 PM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
2012 ML350 Gas
If vehicles engine shuts off while moving - is there lights on dash?

I am trying to figure out why my car died while driving the other day. Was driving, all of sudden get a stutter, CEL turns on for 1 second, I try to give it gas and not accelerating forward. Seems like the car was off while still moving OR the accelerator pedal wasn't responsive.

I didn't get any lights on the dash, and I am starting to think maybe my accelerator pedal is having issues and is not responsive. I scanned for codes and nothing current but got an old stored code,

P2137 - Throttle/Pedal Position Sensor/Switch B/C Voltage Correlation
P2135 - Throttle/Pedal Position Sensor/Switch A/B Voltage Correlation

So I am wondering, if the engine dies while car is moving, does the CEL and other lights stay on the dash just like you put it in ON mode with keys before starting it? Because I didn't get any lights at all.
The following users liked this post:
biker349 (02-18-2022)
Old 02-18-2022, 12:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,490 Likes on 2,326 Posts
MY'14 W212 M276 3.5NA @60kMi
serious limp-mode...

A limp-mode without CEL sounds a bit like the twilight zone. Easy may not do it here!

Your stored codes call to... replace accelerator pedal sensor. MB had a bunch of bad Pedal Sensors for a while. I had it early on MY'14-350, CEL was ON for sure around 10kMi!

On the flip side, this could also be dealing with low voltage glitches or poor wiring issues.

Check your driving voltage and see if this comes back when wiggling pedal wiring/connector.

There are a few published TSB dealing with this particular issue. Some point to a bad sensor, some point to poor wiring, some point to ECU connector.

The ECU uses two position sensing inside the pedal sensor and compares one with the other for validation purpose. When mismatched: CEL!
(Throttle body actuator feedback works the same way).

Last edited by CaliBenzDriver; 02-18-2022 at 02:23 PM.
biker349 (02-18-2022)
Old 02-18-2022, 04:19 PM

2012 ML350 Gas
Originally Posted by CaliBenzDriver
A limp-mode without CEL sounds a bit like the twilight zone. Easy may not do it here!

Your stored codes call to... replace accelerator pedal sensor. MB had a bunch of bad Pedal Sensors for a while. I had it early on MY'14-350, CEL was ON for sure around 10kMi!

On the flip side, this could also be dealing with low voltage glitches or poor wiring issues.

Check your driving voltage and see if this comes back when wiggling pedal wiring/connector.

There are a few published TSB dealing with this particular issue. Some point to a bad sensor, some point to poor wiring, some point to ECU connector.

The ECU uses two position sensing inside the pedal sensor and compares one with the other for validation purpose. When mismatched: CEL!
(Throttle body actuator feedback works the same way).
Wow. Finally a response that makes sense.

Can you please post a link to this TSB or what to search for. I tried googling it but got nothing, even when googling those error codes.
Old 02-18-2022, 04:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,490 Likes on 2,326 Posts
MY'14 W212 M276 3.5NA @60kMi
TSB knowledge base...

I dealt with that issue couple years ago now.

Have a look directly at "TSBSearch dot com" -or through AllData/Mitchell's web portals.

Self-service will provide you with tons of specific knowledge to meet all your concerns.

Share your discoveries with us

biker349 (02-18-2022)
Old 02-18-2022, 05:53 PM

2012 ML350 Gas
Originally Posted by CaliBenzDriver
I dealt with that issue couple years ago now.

Have a look directly at "TSBSearch dot com" -or through AllData/Mitchell's web portals.

Self-service will provide you with tons of specific knowledge to meet all your concerns.

Share your discoveries with us
Is this it?

https://www.tsbsearch.com/Mercedes-B...54-18-P-058597

Got nothing searching for "pedal".

They mention in that article the codes instead of P2135 and P2137 they list P213500 P213700 which I am assuming is the Mercedes code compared from my generic scanner.

EDIT: This seems to be the throttle body and not accelerator pedal. I can’t find anything for accelerator pedal.

Last edited by W203fanatic; 02-18-2022 at 06:04 PM.
biker349 (02-18-2022)