Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for an OBD2 scanner, down to these two!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-20-2022, 01:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ML350
Looking for an OBD2 scanner, down to these two!

Sup MBWorld,

I will be using these for maintenance issues, as Germans have interoperability issues. My current issue is the ESP inoperative indication comes on time to time.

I am not technically incline when it comes to these gadgets, looking for an honest answer. Couldn't find the answers on any MB forums on the web to help me choose between these two. The two in particularly are the iCarsoft MB v3.0 and the Topdon ArtiDiag 800BT. I chose these two because they came out about the same time cost/size/unlimited updates/mid-tier.

I see a lot of advertisement of the iCarsoft but not much on the TopDon, but doing some research on that company they make top notch products. It would also be nice to have a scanner that I can numerously use on different manufacturers and vehicles. However the iCarsoft seem to specialized in Europeans and Mercedes. So my question is, can the TopDon do the same functions if not more what is advertised on iCarsoft MBv3?

Additionally, I read that the MBv3 is bidirectional/actuation test? but is limited and not enough to substantiate? like if I wanted that feature might spend the $1k+ ones for full capabilities.

Anyway any info would be appreciated,

Thanks,
PM
Old 06-21-2022, 08:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 173 Likes on 124 Posts
2018 GLC300 4Matic; 2005 C55; 2003 360 Modena
Unless you need to diagnose non-MB makes, your best investment is with benzninja ... https://benzninja.com
Old 06-21-2022, 01:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 972 Likes on 747 Posts
G550
I've suggested a new forum category for OBD scanners and MB proprietary error codes, but nobody's been paying attention. So info on this topic gets scattered all over the forum and finding info is a PITA.

I spent many hours looking a different brands and price ranges, and it's all very confusing. As far as I can tell, what you get for $1200 over what you get for $300 is a bigger credit card bill. I finally bought a Topdon ArtiDiag600, which seems to be the same hardware platform as the Launch 129x (and probably several others). The ArtiDiag600 covers a wide spectrum of vehicle makes -- I have a MB G550, a Lexus LX and a Jeep Rubicon, and it covers them all, and has free lifetime updates. It connects via wi-fi for software updates and for emailing scan reports (nice because you don't need a Windows PC to accomplish these tasks). I've run scans, and it correctly ID's each of my vehicles and their VINs, and sends a printed report via email. It's simple to setup and use, although I haven't had any CELs on which to put it to task. I wanted to have some OBD scanner in hand before I needed one, and this one seems fine for now. It reads and clears codes, but is limited in functions. I don't use it daily, so a more powerful scanner with more functions would make me re-learn everything each time I used it. It's reasonably compact -- I packed it for a recent 5000 mile road trip just in case I needed it.

I've read about some problems with Bluetooth connectivity, not specifically with Topdon, but mostly with the OBD dongles that connect to smartphones for diagnostics. The ArtiDiag800bt is a Bluetooth connected scanner, so check the reviews on this feature. The cable connection on my ArtiDiag600 isn't a big inconvenience, and probably less hassle that trying to pair dongle and scanner each time it's used.

What's most annoying is all these scanners are made in China, and comparison shopping is really difficult. The only non-China Brand I found is Bosch (a.k.a Actron) -- they're made in Mexico, but are way out of date. I have a Bosch OBD1150, but after I installed a software update, I discovered it was actually a software downgrade that removed functions so that Bosch could put them in the 1350 model and charge more for it. So I'm done with Bosch.

It's also annoying that despite the sophistication of the on-board computers and the infotainment systems contained in automobiles, that the only indication provided for a problem is a stupid "check engine" light, and if you happen to have an OBD scanner, you get a diagnostic code and sometimes a cryptic message indicative of the malfunction. The on-board computers could easily present a detailed diagnostic message on-screen with resolution information (such as "tighten your gas cap, stupid"). Instead, we're handing the Chinese a huge business in OBD scanners.
The following users liked this post:
Axe Murder (07-30-2022)
Old 07-30-2022, 02:06 PM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
E55
Yes, it would be HUGELY beneficial to have somewhere to chatter about the pros and cons of different ODB tools.

I think I need one, and all I find are 159 hits on Amazon with wildly different devices.

That Benzninja is everything wrong with this situation. "Sign up for a membership and then we'll discuss pricing and what you can do." No thanks, not interested in joining opaque schemes with accounts, chat functions, cloud logging of sparkplug performance and whatever. I just want a gizmo that tells me what's ailing my car and allows me to reset fixed errors. It doesn't even have to be generic - if it costs $50 I can afford to get one special for every car I might buy in the future.