Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Impact wrench useage on small fasteners?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-07-2004, 09:42 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
99 ML 320, 97 Porsche 993 C2S, 92 300E
Impact wrench useage on small fasteners?

Is it advisable to use an impact wrench on small fasteners, for removal only. When say a 13 mm bolt will not budge will the impact wrench just break it off? I know to start with the lowest power setting and work up from there.

I've always used just a regular ratchet for removing small fasteners but I'm thinking using a regular ratchet may be worse for breaking a stuck fasten since it just twists it. Whereas an impact wrench strikes it with lots of little hammer type strokes to remove it. Which method is best? Of course some penetrating oil would be used in either instance.

I bought a real nice Snap on 1/2" impact wrench several months ago and I can say for sure I should have bought a high quality impact wrench about twenty years ago. My old 1/2 impact was made in Taiwan or China and it was a piece of junk, very little power next to the Snap on. A powerful impact wrench is unbelievably useful, and makes removing large fasteners, especially on a vehicle's suspension a breeze to remove.
Old 10-08-2004, 12:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
06' W164
Originally Posted by Ron in SC
Is it advisable to use an impact wrench on small fasteners, for removal only. When say a 13 mm bolt will not budge will the impact wrench just break it off? I know to start with the lowest power setting and work up from there.

I've always used just a regular ratchet for removing small fasteners but I'm thinking using a regular ratchet may be worse for breaking a stuck fasten since it just twists it. Whereas an impact wrench strikes it with lots of little hammer type strokes to remove it. Which method is best? Of course some penetrating oil would be used in either instance.

I bought a real nice Snap on 1/2" impact wrench several months ago and I can say for sure I should have bought a high quality impact wrench about twenty years ago. My old 1/2 impact was made in Taiwan or China and it was a piece of junk, very little power next to the Snap on. A powerful impact wrench is unbelievably useful, and makes removing large fasteners, especially on a vehicle's suspension a breeze to remove.
You might try a cordless impact gun before you break out the big guns...I have a 3/8 makita cordless impact gun I use for all kinds of stuff and it works great, not to mention you don't have an air hose following you around.
Old 10-08-2004, 02:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Tesla Model S
Why don't you just have a length of pipe to fit over the ratchet handle and use as a breaker bar?
Old 10-08-2004, 07:51 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Debadged 6-Speed '05 C320 Sports Coupe
An impact wrench is a handy tool, when other wrenches fail to free a stuck fastener. It is possible that the fastener will fail with this tool, as with others.

One trick I have found is that it pays to use either LocTite or Anti-Sieze when replacing fasteners. The LocTite seals out moisture and fasteners taken apart many years later look like new.
Old 10-08-2004, 04:12 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
95 E320 Cabriolet, 108K
I prefer to wrench with hand tools, not with impact wrenches, for a number of reasons.

One, on a tough job I like to feel the bolts. After decades of practise I can sometimes tell when a bolt is moving or if I'm about to snap the head off.

Two, I live in an quiet old suburb where neighbors are nearby. I would want to fill the neighborhood with the sound of power tools when I'm working in the evening.

Three, it's just a pain for me to fire up the air compressor and hook it up to a tool.