Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

W204 OEM Battery Type - AGM/Gel/Flooded?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-04-2022, 07:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C300
W204 OEM Battery Type - AGM/Gel/Flooded?

*Also posted in the C-Class (W204) section as I am not sure which location is best:

After having issues with the 2nd aftermarket battery and tired of the auto parts shop people not wanting to replace their faulty battery, I decided to replace my wife's 2010 C300 W204 battery with an MB OEM battery. Fromwhat I read on the net, they seem to last long and at a reasonable price compared to equivalent non-OEM .

I looked and searched, but cant seem to find what type of battery this is. Is it an AGM, gel or flooded? I would like to know this in case I have to charge it in the future and need to select the correct charge type. MB is closed and I cant find anything clear on the net.

Can anybody tell me with certainty what type battery this is please?

After having issues with the 2nd aftermarket battery and tired of the auto parts shop people not wanting to replace their faulty battery, I decided to replace my wife's 2010 C300 W204 battery with an MB OEM battery. Fromwhat I read on the net, they seem to last long and at a reasonable price compared to equivalent non-OEM .

I looked and searched, but cant seem to find what type of battery this is. Is it an AGM, gel or flooded? I would like to know this in case I have to charge it in the future and need to select the correct charge type. MB is closed and I cant find anything clear on the net.

Can anybody tell me with certainty what type battery this is please?
Old 09-05-2022, 08:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 879 Likes on 453 Posts
Bentley Continental GT; AMG GT
I do not know specifically about this MY, but if the battery is an AGM it will be marked somewhere on the battery shell, however, a flood acid battery usually does not have any designation.

Another "sign" - Flood acid batteries need access to the cells to rejuvenate the liquid, however an AGM battery is definitely sealed with no access to the cells.

Looking at your pic it appears there are two "lids" that can be flipped open at the upper edge of the battery. Also, all the warnings about sulfuric acid and injuries suggest this is a flood acid. An AGM does not have liquid that can be spilled.

EDIT - One last telltale sign (It's early here and my brain is just getting engaged) A vent tube! The vent tube shown in your pic off the left side of the battery is flood acid. AGMs do not have vents.

Last edited by Acta_Non_Verba; 09-05-2022 at 08:27 AM.