Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

03 W211 Gas Fumes

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-10-2004, 06:23 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,415 Likes on 3,145 Posts
'71 Pinto
03 W211 Gas Fumes

Lately every time I fill up there is lingering gas fumes from my car. I do top off. It only lasts for a couple of days which seems to tell me that it disappears as the gas is used and the amount is reduced in the tank. Will be visiting the dealer soon for another issue and rather not go in blind. Could it be the gas (Costco premium)? Or do you think it’s the gas cap allowing fumes to escape?
Old 10-10-2004, 06:43 PM

Received 14 Likes on 3 Posts
If there were any sort of leak then the check engine light would be on.
Old 10-11-2004, 02:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 CLK320
Sounds like by topping off (and most all mfgr's say not to) is that liquid fuel is probably getting into the evaporative cannister lines and overwhelming what the charcoal cannister is designed for...liquid fuel is getting into the lines - they are designed to only handle vapor.

In warmer temperatures, gasoline will expand in volume, so if the tank is topped off, the fuel will expand when the ambient temperature warms up, as you experience in AZ. The underground storage tanks tend to stay ~ 55* most of the time, whereas fuel in a cars's tank will warm up above that temp.
Old 10-11-2004, 05:39 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,415 Likes on 3,145 Posts
'71 Pinto
Thanks for the replies.

Saturnstyl
You know that I come to think of it, a dashboard warning did warn me about the gas tank cap for some reason or another. I didn’t remember this till you mentioned it. It turned out that I had to open and close the cap and it cleared.

Hal H
I kind of thought that it was something like this.