Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OM642 water turbocharger upgrade cooling set up

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-08-2022, 12:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OM642 JWK
OM642 water turbocharger upgrade cooling set up

Folks, my OM642 cooling system doesen't have an electric water pump and since I've changed the base turbocharger with the upgraded water cooled version now i want to add one in order to set up a proper turbo cooling, those ceramic ball bering units beeing very vulnerable to the “heat soakback” which occure after the hot shutdowns.

The turbocharger input and output water holes were connected to the EGR cooling line and the valve was removed.
Under those circumstances I can t figure if it s better to put the electric pump on the rear engine left bank to cabin heater line as in photo 1 or in the front lower radiator to engine line, pointed in my second photo (main engine input - kind of an small Y pipe)

I can t find an internal cooling diagram of the engine but i assume that if i go with the engine front line,the flow will be more direct to the turbo but on the other hand apparentlly on the rear engine line the pump come installed from factory.

I m looking to get the pump work automatically for every -let s say 30 sec after the key is switched off, but as i am installing the Bosch genuine used pump i need to stick with a certain hose size and those are the only 2 options i ve pointed.

Any thoughts and inputs more than welcomed, cheers to all