Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

110 km Sign Recognition

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-08-2022, 06:55 AM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Formally: 2002 ML 270cdi, 2012 GL 350 cdi. Current: 2020 GLS 400d
110 km Sign Recognition

We have a couple of motorways which have now been given 110 km/hr speed limits. Even though the signs are crystal clear, our sign recognition still reads them as 100 only.

Does anyone else have 110 zones and does your sign recognition read them ? Does this need an update from Mercedes perhaps ?

I have NTG6/081 running already.
Old 09-14-2022, 11:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 972 Likes on 747 Posts
G550
Sign recognition still seems to be a developing and incomplete technology. Here in the U.S., it is common to encounter speed limit signs posted on the periphery of small towns and municipalities that state speed limits on the streets within (thus avoiding having to place signs where they can be lost among the plethora of other signage). These signs appear within speed zones where a higher speed limit is posted. So you're driving along at 40 mph, your car sees one of these 25mph signs that apply a mile up the street, and you immediately receive a warning on your instrument panel that you're speeding. An easily remedied error such as this makes me somewhat skeptical of all the ADAS functions and their reliability.
Old 09-14-2022, 12:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,844 Likes on 2,570 Posts
2019 C63CS
I don't think this is actually the recognition reading them wrong, but rather a situation where it thinks the sign was misread. The speed limit recognition works in conjunction with the map data for context and to interpret the correct signs depending on the road you are actually driving on. It's very rare for speed limits to be increased. Most of the time they get decreased. So you probably have to wait for a map update with the new speed limits. My guess is that it's falling back to what the map data says, because the logic is likely programmed to discard the 110 kph reading as an error, because it's higher than the speed limit for the road in the map database and deemed infeasible. For example it could be that one is driving on a frontage road and the camera could accidently pick up the speed limit of the adjacent highway, so you wouldn't want the car to speed up to highway speed on the frontage road since DISTRONIC has the ability to automatically adopt the recognized speed limit. To avoid this it probably ignores any speed limit that's higher than what the map data says for the current road as a precaution.

Last edited by superswiss; 09-14-2022 at 12:37 PM.
The following users liked this post:
PhilipHanser (09-15-2022)
Old 09-16-2022, 05:15 PM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Formally: 2002 ML 270cdi, 2012 GL 350 cdi. Current: 2020 GLS 400d
Interesting comments, Mercedes loaded the new maps for our region just this week (which I have installed) so will be interesting to watch this next time I’m in that area (likely 3 months away). Certainly the road I am talking about has been updated in some way as part of it was incomplete, but I can see it is in the map as complete and open now.
Old 09-16-2022, 05:56 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 3,940 Likes on 3,103 Posts
2017 GLE350 4MATIC
BMW’s iDrive system is flawless. I am in the middle of a week long 530d Touring rental in Europe and in four countries there have been zero false speed limit sign reads. This includes temporary construction zone signs, which are not part of any navigation map data.

It doesn’t surprise me that something from MB doesn’t work.
Old 09-16-2022, 06:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,844 Likes on 2,570 Posts
2019 C63CS
Originally Posted by chassis
BMW’s iDrive system is flawless. I am in the middle of a week long 530d Touring rental in Europe and in four countries there have been zero false speed limit sign reads. This includes temporary construction zone signs, which are not part of any navigation map data.

It doesn’t surprise me that something from MB doesn’t work.
Again, temporarily lowered speed limits due to construction are not an issue, even with MB. That's specifically what these systems are about instead of relying on speed limits from the map data exclusively. I did a 2 months European Delivery trip with my C63 and it also worked flawlessly in Europe. It still does here, but we don't have any roads that recently had their speed limits increased.
The following users liked this post:
chassis (09-18-2022)