Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Torque converter replacement when repairing rear main seal?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-14-2022, 05:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 ML320 Bluetec
Torque converter replacement when repairing rear main seal?

I have a 2009 ML320 Bluetec with what appears to be a leak from the rear main seal. I have it going into an Indy shop shortly to get that confirmed and repaired, but have a couple related questions I was hoping to get some independent insight on before I get there.

First, assuming that's the actual problem, what other work should I have done at the same time? From what I've read, seems like:
  1. Replace motor mounts
  2. Replace transmission mounts
  3. Replace shifter linkage bushings and clips
  4. Replace hardware/brackets that attach the exhaust to the transmission body
Anything else that should be on that list?

Second, while they're in there, should I get the torque converter replaced? Wondering about this on two fronts:
  1. It seems like another "not if, but when" part, and much more cost effective to get it done at the same time
  2. I've been experiencing what feels like throttle pulsing under medium throttle, almost as if someone is constantly feathering the throttle every second and a half or so. This happens on cruise control as well as normal driving, so I'm sure it's not just my foot. I've read in a couple of places that this may be a symptom of the torque converter failing.
Thanks!
Darryl