Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tuning (used) MB's?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-03-2022, 04:12 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
GS 430
Tuning (used) MB's?

Hi all,

I'm looking for a new ride. This will be my daily driver so my priorities are; reliability and fun to drive (acceleration, tail happy and a nice exhaust note).

I've been out of the car scene for longer than I care to admit but life (wife&kids) have put a serious damper on my motorcycle tracking/racing hobby.

I was flirting with an S-class but I really don't need anything that big for travel; we have a 22 Sienna and it's great for travel or camping duties.

I started considering an E55 with the M113k, but that quickly evolved to an E63 and now the C65.

I like the size of a 4dr C63; I would like to occasionally take the wife and kids (I want a usable back seat, so no 911 or SL's for me) for a blast down the freeway, but 95% of the time I will be riding solo.

Now to the Tuning Q. I was pleasantly surprised to find out that with a simple tune (from Weistec etc...) you can get significantly more power from MB engines. I feel a 500hp/tq car is plenty fast, but for about $2k I can up that to 600hp/700tq ~ish. This is very appealing, but the pretend engineer in me calls BS. It seems unnatural that adding this much power will not compromise reliability. Is this true or what? I'm not looking to go further than a simple tune; so no transmission/cooling upgrade etc... If true, then why wouldn't MB include that from the factory? Seems weird to me.

What I really want is a car with a lot of power and an unrestricted speed limit. While 155 is fun, 190+ is funner!

My budget is 15-25k. Maybe 30k for a really special car. I'm flexible on price.

What do you all recommend?

No convertibles or SUV's plz.

Thx in advance
The following users liked this post:
biker349 (11-04-2022)