Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

something busted...all oil leaked out...electronics completely off...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-05-2022, 05:54 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2011 C63 AMG
something busted...all oil leaked out...electronics completely off...

So, it happened early this morning just as I got off the interstate.

Under the hood was smoking...and I was giving the 2011 c63 AMG gas but it was barely working. At this time the check engine light was trying to come on...but seemed to be turning on and then going out every few seconds.

I pulled over into a side road and turned car off immediately...all oil leaked out and looks like it got all over the place under the hood.

Electronics are totally off at this point. Nothing lights up on the dash, key fob doesnt work....etc.

The question I have is........whats going on w/the electrics? I know I need to something replaced for the oil.......but what does electronics have to do w/that!? Maybe the oil burned something? Bruh...this ish crazy.

I can probably provide pics if anyone is interested. Car wont be able to be fixed until Thursday or so...and even at that point...Im pretty sure it will take a few days.
The following users liked this post:
biker349 (01-04-2023)
Old 12-05-2022, 11:02 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 3,940 Likes on 3,103 Posts
2017 GLE350 4MATIC
Originally Posted by tasteofpower
So, it happened early this morning just as I got off the interstate.

Under the hood was smoking...and I was giving the 2011 c63 AMG gas but it was barely working. At this time the check engine light was trying to come on...but seemed to be turning on and then going out every few seconds.

I pulled over into a side road and turned car off immediately...all oil leaked out and looks like it got all over the place under the hood.

Electronics are totally off at this point. Nothing lights up on the dash, key fob doesnt work....etc.

The question I have is........whats going on w/the electrics? I know I need to something replaced for the oil.......but what does electronics have to do w/that!? Maybe the oil burned something? Bruh...this ish crazy.

I can probably provide pics if anyone is interested. Car wont be able to be fixed until Thursday or so...and even at that point...Im pretty sure it will take a few days.
Keep us updated.
tasteofpower (12-06-2022)
Old 12-12-2022, 06:02 AM

Received 294 Likes on 233 Posts
2010 ML550 VIN WDC1641722A564750, 2010 B180
Some V8 models leak oil at the camshaft sensors and the oil travels along the wiring loom back to the ECU. It reported on the M273 and M278 engines and it then fries all of that. I'm not saying thats your issue, but depending upon the location of the ECU, you might have one soaked in oil.
biker349 (01-04-2023)
Old 01-03-2023, 05:05 PM

2011 C63 AMG
Originally Posted by chassis
Keep us updated.
So, what it looks like is....timing chain tensioner needs to be replaced. They said mine was totally backed out. Said mine is completely destroyed just to make sure my chain and everything is fine. They quoted me $1000 or so just to do the tensioner...just to crank up vehicle and make sure everything else is good. They wont know anything else until they do that. They said something couldve jumped time and timing gets off.....and then my engine is gone.

I called MB to ask them what they think the quote would be fore that part replacement w/parts and labor. They told me $700-800.........which has got me thinking....wtf? I usually take it to this place b/c they are cheaper. Sometime they are the same as MB..but Ive never had them quote me higher than MB. Either way..........lets hope I dont have any other issues after they replace the part. If I have engine damage, Im gonna get a honda accord.

https://www.google.com/search?q=timi...+tensioner+c63

As far as the electronics is concerned....sounds like I just need a new battery. They said they changed the battery and now Im good. But thing is.....why did my batter go out at that same exact point? That was odd.
biker349 (01-04-2023)
Old 01-10-2023, 01:15 PM

2011 C63 AMG
UPDATE:

Mechanic said the c63 jumped timing, and now referring time to another mechanic.

He said I dont wanna take it to MB b/c they will tell me to get a new engine.

I think if this gets fixed, I might keep it until 100K miles, then sell it.....Im tired of these doctor bills.
Old 01-11-2023, 03:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,392 Likes on 2,261 Posts
MY'14 W212 M276 3.5NA @60kMi
High maintenance or else...

For 50 years the timing chain tensioners were the ratcheting type to prevent them from ever backing down.

Unfortunately that was extremely reliable so now we have chain tension that relies soly on oil pressure.

Even that was almost too good so the tiny tensioner seal was formulated to be sensitive to oil acidity.

Killer seal... an engineered problem:
  1. Oil pressure leaks through the tensioner seal
  2. Managed oil pump supplies low pressure below 2500Rpm
  3. Timing chains are sloppy loose
  4. Low pressure is available for camshafts lubrication
  5. Timing chains jump then valves meet pistons: total loss!

To be fair this doesn't develop overnight...
Sloppy bank timings makes the engine sound unstable.

These cars have their ways...
Learn not to ignore how each system acts up to request attention.

>> Try to swap tensioners between 60 and 80kMi and engine oil every 5 to 7k... not 10 to 15kMi.

Last edited by CaliBenzDriver; 01-11-2023 at 03:46 PM. Reason: formating
tasteofpower (01-11-2023)