Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best diagnostic tool for MB

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-01-2023, 04:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
R500, GLA250, 560SL
Best diagnostic tool for MB

I'm the designated shade-tree mechanic for a half-dozen different Benzes, from my 560SL to my wife's GLA250 to my daughter's GLK... I'm at my wit's end, and I'm convinced I've purchased my LAST Mercedes; they've just become too damn difficult for someone like me, with a decent set of tools and respectable mechanical skills, to maintain and repair.

Specifically, the requirement for a scanner / diagnostic computer to perform the most basic of tasks / repairs / replacements. I've got a couple of generic OBD scanners to pull codes and do things like Oil Change resets, but anything remotely sophisticated requires a scan tool.

I've seen references to "Star Diagnostic" and "Xentry" and the like, but what I want to find is a good, all-around, bi-directional scan tool that will let me do things (like these that I've got on my project backlog):
1) Disable the "Active Headlight" warning on my dash on my R500
2) Marry (for lack of a better word) a new (refurbished and virginized) ISM (A80) to my transmission.

When I replaced the clockspring in the GLK I had to pay the dealer to perform the calibration, and it irked me that such as simple calibration cost me a couple-hundred dollars. Now, my local dealer will only sell me a NEW, OE, ISM and calibration; they refuse to calibrate / marry a remanufactured unit (that's around $1,000 less). (In fact, the price they've quoted me for replacing my faulty ISM is greater than the book value of the car, for heaven's sake! This for a module that one can buy rebuilt or reman'ed all day long for less than $500.)

So here's the TL/DR: I'm looking for a serviceable MB Scan Tool that will let me do what the Xentry / Star tools will do, in terms of calibrating, enabling, disabling, coding replacement parts, etc... And I'm completely lost as to what to look for and purchase. All advice (first-hand experiences are especially valued!) will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

PS: I'm not afraid to spend money on this; as I say -- being the designated "Family Mechanic" for a small fleet of M-B's, I consider this more of an investment (and future cost avoidance) than a one-time expense.
The following users liked this post:
biker349 (01-02-2023)
Old 01-02-2023, 08:04 AM

Received 294 Likes on 233 Posts
2010 ML550 VIN WDC1641722A564750, 2010 B180
Search for Benz Ninja in these forums. He provides a system that does what youre looking for. Many satisfied customers from the sounds of it. Certainly seen his posts in the W164 forum and from all reports a very helpful fellow.
The following 2 users liked this post by BlackML550:
biker349 (01-02-2023), vich3 (01-03-2023)