Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A warning to all M278/M176 owners...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-05-2024, 11:51 AM

Received 147 Likes on 122 Posts
2016 E400 Coupe (C207)
My car has the V6 twin-turbo (M276) engine. While facing the engine from the front bumper and moving from left to right, I was able to unplug the second, third and fourth Camshaft Adjuster Magnet connectors and all were dry, but I cannot get to the first one on the left, which is hidden behind a white plastic fluid reservoir. Can anyone explain what's required to access this first Camshaft Adjuster Magnet? Do I have to unbolt and remove that fluid reservoir?

Also, I noticed that the plugs that connect the Camshaft Adjuster Magnets on the front of the engine are different from those that connect the Camshaft Position Sensors. The plugs on the Camshaft Position Sensors don't have the same white plastic part that can be pushed down to unlock the connector. Can anyone explain how to unplug the Camshaft Position Sensors?

Finally, if I understand correctly from FCP Euro, the so-called "sacrificial pigtail" (i.e., MB Part # A2711500156) is not officially applicable to my car, but will fit the Camshaft Adjuster Magnets on my engine. However, as the connectors are different for the Camshaft Position Sensors, does anyone know the part number of the pigtail that will fit them?
Old 08-05-2024, 12:21 PM

Received 82 Likes on 64 Posts
2015 C400 4MATIC Palladium Silver Metallic
Originally Posted by Mr. Toad
My car has the V6 twin-turbo (M276) engine. While facing the engine from the front bumper and moving from left to right, I was able to unplug the second, third and fourth Camshaft Adjuster Magnet connectors and all were dry, but I cannot get to the first one on the left, which is hidden behind a white plastic fluid reservoir. Can anyone explain what's required to access this first Camshaft Adjuster Magnet? Do I have to unbolt and remove that fluid reservoir?

Also, I noticed that the plugs that connect the Camshaft Adjuster Magnets on the front of the engine are different from those that connect the Camshaft Position Sensors. The plugs on the Camshaft Position Sensors don't have the same white plastic part that can be pushed down to unlock the connector. Can anyone explain how to unplug the Camshaft Position Sensors?

Finally, if I understand correctly from FCP Euro, the so-called "sacrificial pigtail" (i.e., MB Part # A2711500156) is not officially applicable to my car, but will fit the Camshaft Adjuster Magnets on my engine. However, as the connectors are different for the Camshaft Position Sensors, does anyone know the part number of the pigtail that will fit them?
Yes, you'll need to be able to move the IC reservoir around. There are 2 E10 etorx bolts and one t40? 35? Screw that hold it in place. Once those are out you can push it out of the way.

I am also curious about the camshaft position sensor harnesses. The 3.0L position sensors are pn: 2769050900.

Not sure if anyone makes an aftermarket pig tail for them yet.
The following users liked this post:
Mr. Toad (08-05-2024)
Old 08-05-2024, 07:05 PM

Received 82 Likes on 64 Posts
2015 C400 4MATIC Palladium Silver Metallic
Originally Posted by TwoC400s
Yes, you'll need to be able to move the IC reservoir around. There are 2 E10 etorx bolts and one t40? 35? Screw that hold it in place. Once those are out you can push it out of the way.

I am also curious about the camshaft position sensor harnesses. The 3.0L position sensors are pn: 2769050900.

Not sure if anyone makes an aftermarket pig tail for them yet.
​​​​​​
​​​​Maybe @S-Prihadi knows?

Last edited by TwoC400s; 08-05-2024 at 07:06 PM.