Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

M157 thermostat how to

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-29-2023, 12:55 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2011 S63 , 1997 SL500 La costa edition (sold) 1987 560SEC (sold)
M157 thermostat how to

I posted in the car specific forum with no luck (zero replies), so I hope it's ok to copy and paste and post it here hoping to get some responses:

Anyone with access to WIS , I would appreciate a write up on how to replace thermostat, I got the P0128 code and yes it is the thermostat stuck open, it takes forever to reach operating temp, and I think today it run a bit too rich for a while on the freeway it also triggered the O2 sensor code (P0054) but that went away on it's own. it looks a bit challenging to replace it , a write up would help me do it properly appreciate the help in advance, if you can also include a write up on the fan removal, gives me room I think to work there. if you need VIN will be happy to provide it's a 2011 S63 (W221) and M157 engine, it's much much easier on the M156 , thanks again.
vin : WDDNG7EBXBA372226
Old 04-01-2023, 04:32 AM
SPONSOR

Received 375 Likes on 226 Posts
11 E550, 16 AMG GTS, 13 S550
It's a stupid part, I'm not a huge fan of the new cars. It's essentially a coolant hose removal and replacement, you don't need to remove the fan but I like the additional space. If you wanna drive up to San Jose, I got you lol

Old 04-01-2023, 10:34 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2011 S63 , 1997 SL500 La costa edition (sold) 1987 560SEC (sold)
Originally Posted by ChrisHimself
It's a stupid part, I'm not a huge fan of the new cars. It's essentially a coolant hose removal and replacement, you don't need to remove the fan but I like the additional space. If you wanna drive up to San Jose, I got you lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OuMNAqgjQYM
I do know know essentially how to do it, but I needed the WIS write to do it properly by the book (torques specs and such) , I have seen this video above it's probably the only video on youtube showing that , but, one he does not show a "how to" just a brief of what he's done, and two his engine structure is different then mine , ie pipes routing , space to work etc, ....., one example to take off my fan I have to take off the crossmember of the front, pretty much drop the whole front end short of bumper, but luckily that's not needed, I did get a WIS write up on a different post I asked one of the members thankfully, my parts will be here today and I may dive into it tomorrow, thanks for your offer of driving to San Jose lol, by the time I get to you I will propbably lose my O2 sensors or my cats hehe.