Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CLS55 Weird Electronic Issue Causing Vehicle to Go into Limp Mode

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-09-2023, 01:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2004 CLK 320, 2006 CLS 55 AMG (In Progress)
CLS55 Weird Electronic Issue Causing Vehicle to Go into Limp Mode

I recently had the tranny rebuilt by Mercedes after popping the seal. Vehicle ran fine for a while then a very weird electrical problem arose. I will attach a video to this post detailing what’s going on. I have already taken the car back to the dealer and even after a week they could not pinpoint what’s happening. The brakes work fine as long as I don’t pass this small threshold and use them very lightly. If I do pass the threshold, the vehicle basically goes limp under power and begins to idle really roughly at a stop. Turning the vehicle off and back on resets the mode, but it immediately happens again, once I press the brake to shift into gear.
Attached Files
File Type: mov
1762721986113400.MOV (14.60 MB, 14 views)
Old 04-10-2023, 03:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,392 Likes on 2,261 Posts
MY'14 W212 M276 3.5NA @60kMi
rebuilt tranny troubles...

Originally Posted by KingBeezy
I recently had the tranny rebuilt by Mercedes after popping the seal. Vehicle ran fine for a while then a very weird electrical problem arose. I will attach a video to this post detailing what’s going on. I have already taken the car back to the dealer and even after a week they could not pinpoint what’s happening. The brakes work fine as long as I don’t pass this small threshold and use them very lightly. If I do pass the threshold, the vehicle basically goes limp under power and begins to idle really roughly at a stop. Turning the vehicle off and back on resets the mode, but it immediately happens again, once I press the brake to shift into gear.
You did the right thing by taking your car back to where it was worked on.

It may be possible... the cause of the current limp mode was already present before the tranny was worked on.

Getting the list of faults may help diagnose it. What was the original issue ??

Last edited by CaliBenzDriver; 04-10-2023 at 03:44 AM.
Old 04-10-2023, 09:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2004 CLK 320, 2006 CLS 55 AMG (In Progress)
Originally Posted by CaliBenzDriver
You did the right thing by taking your car back to where it was worked on.

It may be possible... the cause of the current limp mode was already present before the tranny was worked on.

Getting the list of faults may help diagnose it. What was the original issue ??
It is throwing codes to which I believe are unrelated to the current issue. Throttle position Sensor fault is one. Secondary Air Injection is another. The original issue was the transmission leak, after popping the pump seal due to the torque converter overheating.

I spoke with someone else who believes the current issue is linked to the SBC, which was replaced under warranty about a year ago when I got my alternator replaced by the same dealer. Given that it’s an issue that arises when I press the brake too hard, I think it’s safe to start there then work in other directions.
Old 04-10-2023, 03:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,392 Likes on 2,261 Posts
MY'14 W212 M276 3.5NA @60kMi
unbundle issues...

Originally Posted by KingBeezy
It is throwing codes to which I believe are unrelated to the current issue. Throttle position Sensor fault is one. Secondary Air Injection is another. The original issue was the transmission leak, after popping the pump seal due to the torque converter overheating.

I spoke with someone else who believes the current issue is linked to the SBC, which was replaced under warranty about a year ago when I got my alternator replaced by the same dealer. Given that it’s an issue that arises when I press the brake too hard, I think it’s safe to start there then work in other directions.
To focuss on solving problems do don't want to bundle unrelated issues: TPS with SBC with tranny with...

> Bad THROTTLE POSITION SENSOR earns immediate limp mode at the slitest discrepancy. Fix that then deal with SBC next.