Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car reving itself in park.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-28-2023, 10:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GL450
Post Car reving itself in park.

I have a 2009 GL 450 (X164) automatic and have been having some problems with RPM's rising up to 2000 while in park and stays there for a while. You can bring down the rpms by pressing the accelerator, but after some time it will still want to rise into the 20's. Been to many garages, many things have been replaced like spark plugs, ignition coils, but it's still acting up. The car has been diagnosed a few times without any success of finding the cause. Starting to lose hope here my recent thoughts would be that it could be the idle control valve? Also should mention that the car can sometimes stutters while driving and pressing the accelerator fixes that.

No clue where to go from here, maybe someone has dealt with this, because I'm running out of garages arround my town.

Old 04-29-2023, 08:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,653 Likes on 2,430 Posts
MY'14 W212 M276 3.5NA @60kMi
Originally Posted by MantasLT
I have a 2009 GL 450 (X164) automatic and have been having some problems with RPM's rising up to 2000 while in park and stays there for a while. You can bring down the rpms by pressing the accelerator, but after some time it will still want to rise into the 20's. Been to many garages, many things have been replaced like spark plugs, ignition coils, but it's still acting up. The car has been diagnosed a few times without any success of finding the cause. Starting to lose hope here my recent thoughts would be that it could be the idle control valve? Also should mention that the car can sometimes stutters while driving and pressing the accelerator fixes that.

No clue where to go from here, maybe someone has dealt with this, because I'm running out of garages arround my town.
This 2,000.RPM high idle sounds like a large air volume is bypassing throttle.

I am thinking about... :
  • loose camshaft rear plug covers or
  • a bad PCV valve or
  • a dirty MAF issue
  • intake plenum seals
  • Compromised vacuum hose

1-- Scan you car and hope to find related faults.

2-- Next look at fuel trims to find them largely positive, an indication of bypass air.

🤞

Last edited by CaliBenzDriver; 04-30-2023 at 10:40 AM.