Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Worried if my oil was really/correctly changed

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-27-2004 | 09:22 AM
Almost a Member!

Worried if my oil was really/correctly changed

I took the my 92 300D Diesel to a mechanic who has been working on all kinds of cars and mercedes for about 8-10 years. He checked all the fluids and changed the oil and filter for 35 dollars. Is that good, I always thought the oil change and filter were more expensive?
This is what was on my reciept - He changed the filter (part #1289) and put 7 Quarts of 10W-50 oil (not sure what brand)... all the parts price came out to $4.20 is that about right? Always thoguht they were more expensive and then was charged 29.50 for labor.
Just want to make sure they did a good job because I just bought the car and need to find a good mechanic

-- Also about how long does an oil and filter change take, it took them a total of 50 minutes... is that about right?

Thanks
Lee

PS> Is there a bettwer type of oil I should request next time, my car is a 92 300D Diesel.
Old 10-27-2004 | 10:39 AM

95 E320 Cabriolet, 108K
The filter for your car costs at least $9. If parts were $4.20, then it looks like short cuts were taken.

Perhaps the $4.20 was over and above what a normal oil change (parts and labor) would cost, such as for a new oil plug gasket and o-ring.
Old 10-27-2004 | 12:13 PM
Almost a Member!

I dont know

They did not change the oil plug gasket, I dont think, are they suppose too?

Also it says labor 29.50 and parts 4.20... the total was 35.90

Do you know if I can take it to the dealer and just have them look and see if the oil filter needs to be changed without doing a complete oil change??
-- or should I just havet he dealer do an oil change and filter change to make sure I have it done properly?

Also is there a better type of oil I should use in my 300 D than 10W-50

Last edited by lokobreed; 10-27-2004 at 12:19 PM.
Old 10-27-2004 | 05:26 PM

95 E320 Cabriolet, 108K
I doubt the dealer would do an oil filter change only.

The 10W-50 oil should be okay. Are you sure it's not 10W-40 or 10W-30 on the receipt? 10W-50 is simply not a common grade of oil. There's also a chance whoever wrote up the receipt doesn't know a thing about oil and what you're reading is a transcription error. Like I mentioned in the other thread, Rotella 15W-40 is what diesel owners use in their MBs.
Old 10-27-2004 | 08:14 PM
Almost a Member!

They did not tell me anything

They did not say what type of oil, but all I see on the receiept is that grade of oil used.

-- I am wondering and thinking about just taking it up to this other mechanic and have him do a full oil change with the right oil, a oil filter change, an antifreeze change, and brake fluid change.

You recommend me also doing a power sterring fluid change?

Could I buy the oil and antifreeze and bring it to the mechanic and tell him thats what I want put in it or should I just let them buy it but tell them what I want in it?

-- Also what type of antirfreeze and oil is best for a 92 300 D Diesel?
Old 10-28-2004 | 02:10 PM

1998 E300
For anitfreeze, use the mercedes brand, its specific for mercedes engines and has additives to prevent corrosion. It runs about 10-11 bucks a gallon. Use a 50/50 mix. Also for your diesel, use a diesel specific oil, like mobil 1 5W-40, it's the yellow cap, sold as truck and SUV at walmart. It is Mobil 1, delvac, the tractor trailers use it. It disapates the soot diesels build up better than most others. And as a side benefit, you dont have to change it as often. As for power steering, i'd change it if you dont know the last time it was changed, or if it was changed more than 3 years ago.
Old 10-28-2004 | 10:22 PM
Almost a Member!

Thanks

CAn I buyt the anti-freeze for the place to change or should I let them do that?

- What about the oil change, if I dont think they used the correct filter or changed it all, would you recommend me getting a whole new oil change or just trusting it for the next 2 - 3 K miles?

Also what type of ps fluid and brake fluid?
Old 10-30-2004 | 09:32 AM

Very basic to change your own oil filter

Open the hood to your car and look towards the back drivers side in front of firewall their you will see your oil filter housing. Their will be 2- 13 mm nuts, one on each end on top. Turn counterclockwise and remove both nuts. Lift off top of housing being careful that your rubber O ring remains with the top and doesnt drop down inside. Their will be a long rod connected to the top of the cover, it's all one piece, set to side. Now look inside and their you will see your oil filter, pull straight out being careful not to drip oil everywhere and dispose. Your new oil filter should come with a new rubber O ring, if it doesnt you can use your old one most of the time. Take off the old O ring from the top cover and position the new O ring inside the channel, very simple. Place your new oil filter inside the oil filter housing and take your one piece top with rod and direct it through the middle hole of the oil filter. Make sure the top is place back over the 2 bolt and take your 2- 13 mm nuts and tighten. Start your car and check for leaks, you should be fine.
Old 11-04-2004 | 11:54 PM
Almost a Member!

Question

I looked at the oil filter with my uncle today and he said it looks like its not changed.

We did not take off the nuts or anything we just looked at it from the outside, he said it was the same one and not changed because its the same outer part (the circle metal/aluminum thing) or is that always stay the same and you just put a new filter in and keep the same silver circle thing?

Please help thanks
Old 11-05-2004 | 07:17 AM

Oil Filter

The outside housing stays in place always. Your oil filter is inside. To be honest with you even if the filter was changed at this point i dont think you would be able to tell. I could give you a list of aftermarket oil filters that are equal to what you might find from the dealer. Let me know
Old 11-05-2004 | 09:40 AM
Almost a Member!

k

So your saying that outisde housing will always look old and is never replaced. The filter is just put inside, correct?

So you are pretty sure they changed it as well?
Old 11-05-2004 | 01:03 PM

95 E320 Cabriolet, 108K
That's right. I believe it's called a 'cartridge' filter design. The outer housing is always reused. The other kind is the more traditional spin-on canister design where the can is integral with the filter and is thrown out each filter change.

Whether the filter was changed in your car is a judgement call. If it looks clean, it was probably changed.
Old 11-05-2004 | 04:06 PM
Almost a Member!

k

If what looks clean?

The oil filter? If that is what you mean, I dont feel confident enough about unscrewing everything myself yet.

Seems this oil filter to change is harder than most but the out side housing is dirty like it was before.
Old 11-05-2004 | 09:16 PM

Oil Filter

I have changed oil many of times on your make and model mercedes. My suggestion to you is go and have another oil change performed or do it yourself. Lets just say your filter was not changed the last time, that's not a good thing. Being as suspicious about this whole ordeal as you appear to be i would have the oil changed again even if you only have driven a few hundred miles. Any good mechanic would know to change the filter and i bet you they probably did. I recommend these brands of aftermarket filters if you decide to do it yourself. My first choice would be a brand called MANN, they make great filters and also HENGST brand filters are good. You could also buy Bosch. I would never buy a house brand filter like from an Auto Zone or someplace simliar. Here where i live in Houston Texas i put 20/50 castrol oil in my cars.