Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"ting ting" sound in engine and squeaking brakes

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-28-2004, 10:20 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"ting ting" sound in engine and squeaking brakes

Hello,

I guess as many of you know from all my posts I am a newbie but really car about my car.

I just started to notice this ping ping/ting ting sound (kind of sounds like something is popping or a dripping of some kind, but more like a light poppping). I hear this when I, after driving the car, I pull in and park the car and get out and pop the hood and then I can hear it... I am wondering if this is a problem of anykind or something that can lead to a more sever problem?

Also sometimes, not many, but since yesterday and today a few times when I have stopped, usually going low speeds, the brakes squeek... what can cause that? How often should the brake pads be changeD?
Old 10-28-2004, 11:14 PM
TCM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 BMW M5
The pinging noise is completely normal and is the catalytic converter/s cooling downa dn the metal honeycomb inside them contracting as it cools. This happens on every car. The brakes most likely have some glazing on them from some prolonged slow stops. A coupld hard braking manuevers should cut through the glaze and allow the brake pad to touch the rotor surface again. Hope this helps.