Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spark Plugs and Brakes on c230

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-10-2004, 03:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Spark Plugs and Brakes on c230

I opened the hood to change the spark plugs on a 1997 C230 and .....WHERE ARE THEY?

How do you change them? Is there any online manual or other service manual I can buy for it? I found a guy selling CD's a repair manuals on ebay and was going to buy one from him but I'm not sure. Sometimes, they just say, "Take your vehicle to a qualified Mercedes mechanic.."

Also, I want to do the brakes too....any material on that that is accessible to me?

Thank you..

Tom
Old 11-10-2004, 06:13 PM

Received 14 Likes on 3 Posts
Ya know that metal plate in the center of the valve cover with the 3 allen head bolts holding it on? They are under that.
Old 11-10-2004, 06:19 PM

Hi,

Thank you. I thought so but I wanted to ask first.

Is there a gasket or that I would need after I take it off? Or should just buy the plugs? Any recommendation on the plugs? Buy them from the dealer right? Or is there one brand that's better on a c230 with 100K miles?

Tom
Old 11-10-2004, 08:50 PM

Gasket

Their is no gasket under the cover. Once you remove and are ready to reinstall the cover just screw it back down. I think Bosch plugs are what you should use. Your brakes are pretty basic to change. I mean doing it at home might be a bit difficult if you dont have the proper tools and jacks. When i perform a brake job on a mercedes, i never turn the rotors, i always have them replaced. Sometimes you can get away with not replacing your rotors if their not to dished out, but if you can afford to then i think your best off.
Old 11-10-2004, 09:09 PM

Received 14 Likes on 3 Posts
I agree with everything he said....
Old 11-11-2004, 10:17 AM

Thanks for the advice. I agree that I should change the rotors and not turn them and I plan to do that. And I will replace the brake pad sensors too.

And I'm told to stay away from those 'lifetime' pads and metal pads and stick with high quality regular ones.

When I do the plugs, I'll change the air filter, fuel filter, oxygen sensor too.

Tom