Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

08 CS 550 Loose rack and pinion

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-09-2024, 01:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
08 Cls 550
08 CS 550 Loose rack and pinion

Hello, Im hearing a noise when I turn my steering wheel back and forth an inch one way an inch one way maybe and it has a thumb or clicking noise I got my son to do it and I can trace the sound down to the rack and pinion what's the recommended repair there, thx
Old 02-09-2024, 03:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,434 Likes on 2,289 Posts
MY'14 W212 M276 3.5NA @60kMi
loose front end

Originally Posted by Erp13
Hello, Im hearing a noise when I turn my steering wheel back and forth an inch one way an inch one way maybe and it has a thumb or clicking noise
I got my son to do it and I can trace the sound down to the rack and pinion what's the recommended repair there, thx
"Rack and pinion" units are seldom worked on. Instead they are replaced with remanufactured units. However parts connected to the steering rack are replaceable as follow.

The steering rack is connected to the wheel hub with ball joints that are called TIE RODS.
  • Two inner tie rods
  • Two outer tie rods

Replacing these steering parts guarantees you'll need a front wheel alignment....

So while you are at it, replace the front control arms and ball joints as well to have a good steering control.
Struts and bearings: as tested.

Complete Kits are made available because these parts are interactive. Once you remove the free-play from control arm, it stresses rear ball joint...

I almost forgot stabilizer rods, they are the first suspension part to register wear.

Old 02-09-2024, 06:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 108 Likes on 101 Posts
2005 w203 C230
I was going to say stabilizer link usually goes first…but if when turning at a stand-still…upper strut mounts/bearings/hats?

I also know that some in the w203 community have reported “loose/shot” rack mounts/bushings and thus clicking and unwanted noises/play…