Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

M102.961 coolant pump & fan clutch questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-27-2024, 12:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
190E 84' EU Spec
Question M102.961 coolant pump & fan clutch questions

Hello guys! I'm new here
I own a 190E 84' EU Spec which I bough over a year ago. It works and runs well, but it's in relative bad condition. I thought I could get it and make all the relevant repairs and I've progressed quite a bit. Right now the engine is being overhauled and now that I have some of the parts removed from the engine I noticed the mechanical radiator fan was a little bit modified by some previous owner. In fact, what they did was taking away the fan clutch and making a poorly made coupling to the engine (maybe because the fan clutch stopped working sometime), so now it's always spinning when the engine is on. I really want to get a new fan and also the fan clutch and leave it working as intended originally.
Now... searching on the internet, I see that there are two types of fan clutches for the 190E M102. The first one looks like this and the second one looks like this. So I guess the only difference is that the first one has those legs to screw it somewhere and the second one doesn't. Now looking for water pumps (since I need to get a new one), there are also two types, the one with a triangle shaped plate in the shaft and the on without it (you can see the difference in the attached first two images).
Looking at a diagram, the system goes mounted like it shows in the third image attached. I found the fan clutch in Pelican Parts but as you can see, that one is the one without the legs, the one that couples to the water pump in the triangle shaped plate. The problem is, that water pump is for the M102 built from 06/1984 and my engine is built on 05/1984. So, my question is, can I buy the water pump that comes with the triangle shaped plate and will it work well, and attach the fan clutch that Pelican Parts sells, or will I find trouble if I use that one?
If you know some other information about this topic that could help me to get that fan clutch system working again, I will really appreciate it. Thank you very much in advance!

Without triangle shaped plate in the shaft (this is the one that my 190E uses)

With triangle shaped plate in the shaft (this is the one that my 190E doesn't use, but I would like to know if it would work)