Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Smart Fortwo - Not Charging

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-15-2024 | 11:24 PM

I own a 2021 Mazda CX9 and also a 2018 Smart Fortwo Passion. I drive the Passion.
Question Smart Fortwo - Not Charging

Hello,
Has anyone ever experience the issue what I am facing with my 2018 Smart Fortwo?

Four weeks ago I tried charging up the vehicle at a public fast charger and not realizing the charging cable was already plugged into the vehicle. Then I went to activate the charger and I herd a "POP". Since this pop. I m unable to charge the high voltage battery.. I tried using a different charger at another location and it is doing the same thing, unable to charge. On the instrument panel the error message says, "Charging Not Possible Visit Workshop".
I had it towed to the local MB dealership and it is still there, unable to find or diagnose the problem. The dealership said they send the information to MB Technical Support in Germany, and they are waiting for a reply from them, that was four weeks ago.

If anyone has ever experience this with their vehicle please send me your feed back.

This is a 2018 SMART Fortwo Passion

Thank you,
AH

Old 10-16-2024 | 12:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MY'14 W212 M276 3.5NA @60kMi
UNLIKELY CATASTROPHIC....

I don't think the Dealer is going to exactly care about the technical insight you can provide them.

Rest assured this power circuit is protected!
The German industry designs some of the most advanced electronic worldwide.

The pop you heard is hopefully just a thermal protection switch. At least you know it did not self reset.

switched off pwr

Still it might cost you a bundle to learn how to reset the protection or service a few modules for good measure.

Last edited by CaliBenzDriver; 10-16-2024 at 02:04 AM.
Old 10-16-2024 | 10:32 PM

I own a 2021 Mazda CX9 and also a 2018 Smart Fortwo Passion. I drive the Passion.
Question

Thank you for your feed back.....What is the "Charge Monitor Control Unit" and would this control unit have any connection with the High Voltage Control Box?

This is the fault code provided by the Mercedes Benz service technician: P074321

Last edited by milanakio; 10-16-2024 at 11:57 PM.
Old 10-17-2024 | 12:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MY'14 W212 M276 3.5NA @60kMi
nice of him... now what's in the cards?
The charge module used to be called battery control module, read switch and fuses

Last edited by CaliBenzDriver; 10-17-2024 at 02:46 AM.
Old Today | 04:35 AM

Hello Guys and Gals,

Can anyone tell me how to locate the "Charge Monitor Control Unit" on my 2018 Smart Fortwo? Is it difficult to get to?

Also, can I purchase this unit on line?

Thanks