Mercedes Tech Talk Discuss general technical questions and issues about your Mercedes-Benz. Moderated by a certified MB Tech.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MY03 W203 seatbelt setting question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-25-2004, 10:15 AM
Administrator

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts
MPG+ ROLFCOPTER
MY03 W203 seatbelt setting question

Got my seatbelt settings changed per sunman's instructions and am confused.

First hook up DAS
Then do Short Tests
Then Click on IC (instrument cluster)
Then Click Version Coding
Then Change Seat belt settings, there are 3 options.

Continuous (UK SETTING)
Single Beep (USA SETTINGS)
OFF

Take your pick.

The seat belt option you are referring to is in IC, then go to bottom selection, which is Options. There are a total of 3 selections if I remember correctly. My cluster is set to USA with the seat belt warning active in the display so you do not need to set it to another country setting.

1. Version Coding
2. Optional Equipment
3. Options.

In the options menu, the bottom most feature is the one for seat belt picture in the menu. Enable it and it will show you a picture and writing "Drivers Seat, Wear Seat belt" and "Passenger Seat, Wear Seatbelt" If there is no passenger sitting on the seat, the passenger warning will NOT show.

The settings had to be slightly modified as we did not get the exact displays as described in the instructions.
We changed the settings and got the seatbelt warning display for both passengers in the MFD. We also managed to get rid of the red seatbelt warning in the lower RH of the MFD. We stopped and tested it before proceding. Now I wanted the continuous tone setting. We had to go to the all world setting (ENCP I believe but not 100% sure) since the UK wasn't shown. This we couldn't seem to get; it would still give the single warning tone. The tech then brought the car around. Now I still had the MFD display but the RH red light appeared again. I also lost the warning tone by this time. I believe that the tech forgot to store the settings. My SA thought that the car's software rejected some of the changes.

Has anyone else tried this? Can someone shed some more light on this?

Thanx
Old 12-25-2004, 09:04 PM

Received 14 Likes on 3 Posts
Sometimes when a setting is set to a certain country, usually USA, it won't completely change to anything else. I believe there are legal reasons for this.
Old 12-25-2004, 09:38 PM
Administrator

MPG+ ROLFCOPTER
Are you referring to the USA setting overall or just in conjunction with the IC? That one I watched him set to "all world".
Old 12-26-2004, 02:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
GL320CDI / C63 Edition 507 Coupe (EDP) / E63 S (on order) / G500 / Smart Brabus
Originally Posted by amdeutsch
Got my seatbelt settings changed per sunman's instructions and am confused.

[...]

The settings had to be slightly modified as we did not get the exact displays as described in the instructions.
We changed the settings and got the seatbelt warning display for both passengers in the MFD. We also managed to get rid of the red seatbelt warning in the lower RH of the MFD. We stopped and tested it before proceding. Now I wanted the continuous tone setting. We had to go to the all world setting (ENCP I believe but not 100% sure) since the UK wasn't shown. This we couldn't seem to get; it would still give the single warning tone. The tech then brought the car around. Now I still had the MFD display but the RH red light appeared again. I also lost the warning tone by this time. I believe that the tech forgot to store the settings. My SA thought that the car's software rejected some of the changes.

Has anyone else tried this? Can someone shed some more light on this?

Thanx
Beware that menus change based on the car's capabilities, not to mention the software version of DAS, as well as the type of DAS you're using.

Also, the car's software doesn't generally reject changes. The menu choices shown by DAS are pretty much only the ones that you can chance. For instance, you won't get a choice of "Airmatic" on a car that doesn't have it. There are a few instances where this isn't the case, but generally not.

More likely, it is as you suggested... the tech did not store the changes after completing. The common thing to do is go back up out of the menu structure after making changes, but some types of changes require a specific action for the changes to be saved in the car.

Also, you don't need to do a short test before starting... you can jump right into the control module and start making changes. You may want to look at the stored errors in the control module you're working on, to make sure you don't introduce anything.

-s-
Old 12-26-2004, 03:18 PM
Administrator

MPG+ ROLFCOPTER
Originally Posted by scorchie
Beware that menus change based on the car's capabilities, not to mention the software version of DAS, as well as the type of DAS you're using.

More likely, it is as you suggested... the tech did not store the changes after completing.

-s-
Thanx for the "semi" confirmation. Just a hunch I had.

....the car's software doesn't generally reject changes. The menu choices shown by DAS are pretty much only the ones that you can chance. ... The common thing to do is go back up out of the menu structure after making changes, but some types of changes require a specific action for the changes to be saved in the car.

-s-
Anything for the specific actions required, besides the hint you just listed, available for my next visit.

.....Also, you don't need to do a short test before starting... you can jump right into the control module and start making changes. You may want to look at the stored errors in the control module you're working on, to make sure you don't introduce anything.

-s-
I will try to bribe them with donuts, pizza, etc based on your suggestions. Afterall its cheaper, and much better received by the techs, than a service charge is by me.