Mercedes Vehicles The archived section for Mercedes vehicles on sale by members.
Mark this thread as Unsold

1991 500E - Euro Import Model - Very Rare

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-01-2008, 03:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1991 Euro 500E
1991 500E - Euro Import Model - Very Rare

Hi everyone,
In preparing to move to the mainland I decided I can't take my 500E with me. It KILLS me to sell it, really, I've wanted one of these for years and I was lucky to find such a rare model.

I'm asking $15,500 for MBWorld Members (and their friends), I'm selling at a loss considering all the work I've done to it in the past six months.
The car is located in Honolulu, Hawaii, shipping to California is about $800 (not included in the price) and I'll help arrange shipping if needed.

I'm going to wash and wax it up again today and I should have some new pics up this weekend.

Contact me at seangirvan@gmail.com (preferred) or call me at 808-220-0011 (days only - Hawaii time - please)

Details:

1993 Mercedes-Benz 500E (October 1991 build, registered in the US as a 1993 model)
- Brilliant Silver Metallic
- Black Recaro Leather Interior
- 116,000 Miles (less than 8k per year)
- 322hp 5.0 Liter V8
- 4 Speed Automatic
- 16" x 8" Forged Aluminum Wheels - Nearly new Goodyear Eagle GS-H tires
- Slide and Tilt Sunroof

Work done to the car:
- Complete transmission rebuild, replaced the K2 drum and valve body
- Replaced original headliner with an new OEM one (not a cheap option) interior looks brand new with it.
- Starter wiring harness replaced with a new one
- Engine wiring harnesses replaced as well
- Alpine CDA-9885 CD Player with iPod hookup and remote ( http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Produ...5&i=500CDA9885 )
- Viper Alarm with Keyless Entry, Silent Arming and Panic Button
- Tinted Windows (20%)
- Modified the fan switch to click on at 86F
- Replaced Euro head light switch with new OEM part
- Got new premium OEM Mercedes floor mats
- Got an OEM Mercedes NOAH fitted car cover (ALWAYS kept under cover)
- Replaced the deteriorated air intake tubes with new SL500 ones
- I also just scored an OEM Warning Triangle that fits into the factory mount in the Euro Bootlid

This also being a European market model it comes with the manual HVAC climate controls, but was fitted with US Spec 500E headlights for federalization. It was not optioned with headlight washers or heated seats when ordered in Europe. The car was originally sent to Belgium but was purchased by G&K Automotive for import (http://www.gnkauto.com/) and conversion and was sold in 1993 and registered as a 1993 model.

I have kept this car as close to stock as possible, maintaining it's heritage and rarity has been a priority for me. I've used this as my daily driver for my short three-mile commute to work and fun weekend drives, I've done everything I can to it to make it a reliable daily driver as it is now, and only now do I feel secure selling it knowing it's in great running shape. The paint is a little tired in spots but still shines when waxed up, a serious detailing/buffing would solve most, if not all of the scuffs. The only other issues are strictly cosmetic, the expected black-chrome trim has faded a into that bronze color and the rubber gaskets around the side-view mirrors are a little cracked but still seal to the car just fine. There is a small nickel-size ding on the front drivers side fender that could be pulled out with the right gear and another nickel-size ding below the rear license plate, both have been there since I purchased the car so I'm not sure of their origin but both are very minor flaws on an otherwise outstanding car.

Exterior:

Interior:

TELL YOUR FRIENDS!
Old 08-02-2008, 02:37 AM

1991 Euro 500E
Some New Pics!

In ze dark

And Undercover
Old 08-04-2008, 04:06 PM

1991 Euro 500E
Couple of more pics as requested by a few people:
Engine Bay:

Conversion Tag:

VIN Badge:

The New Headliner:
Old 08-08-2008, 12:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 84 Likes on 63 Posts
'14 E63s Estate, '21 RR P525, '22 GMC 2500, '23 G63
HOT HOT HOT!!!!!!!

was the driver side repainted or is that just the picture?

whoever gets this car is getting a beauty!

why don't you wan to bring it to the mainland?
Old 08-08-2008, 02:05 PM

1991 Euro 500E
Thanks!
It was never repainted it's just how the pictures look, it's how the sun hits the wide body fenders on the metallic silver paint.

And the short answer is I just can't afford it, I have to sell her to pay for school now.
Old 08-08-2008, 08:46 PM
pas

2007 S65, 2005 Nissan Armada
Originally Posted by Brodie
Thanks!
It was never repainted it's just how the pictures look, it's how the sun hits the wide body fenders on the metallic silver paint.
There is no question that the drivers side doors have been painted, every picture you have shows it. The passenger side seems fine. It is usually pretty easy to check for paintwork, but it is more important that the doors are the originals. Do they have VIN tags that match the car?
Old 08-11-2008, 12:54 AM

'04 E55; '03 E500 Sport
I brought in a few P-cars in the late 80's and early 90's for resale, it was pretty common to do a door swap rather than adding the DOT-mandated side intrusion bars to the originals. So it is not completely impossible that the doors were repainted, or swapped for a color-matching US E-clas of the same or similar years.

On an unrelated note - I will be in Hawaii for a week in mid-October, if it is not sold by then, I may be interested in taking a look and possibly bring it back to CA with me.

Have you done a recent leak-down and/or compression test? Or have a reputable local dealer or shop that can do a pre-purchase inspection?

cheers -
Old 08-12-2008, 04:22 AM

1991 Euro 500E
Originally Posted by pas
There is no question that the drivers side doors have been painted, every picture you have shows it. The passenger side seems fine. It is usually pretty easy to check for paintwork, but it is more important that the doors are the originals. Do they have VIN tags that match the car?
Well I would say there is a question about it being painted, I know the entire car history and the single tech that has worked on the car the entire time it's been in the US knows it's never been an accident or vandalized to the point where a respray would be needed. So don't jump to conclusions please.

Originally Posted by dbarrym
I brought in a few P-cars in the late 80's and early 90's for resale, it was pretty common to do a door swap rather than adding the DOT-mandated side intrusion bars to the originals. So it is not completely impossible that the doors were repainted, or swapped for a color-matching US E-clas of the same or similar years.

On an unrelated note - I will be in Hawaii for a week in mid-October, if it is not sold by then, I may be interested in taking a look and possibly bring it back to CA with me.

Have you done a recent leak-down and/or compression test? Or have a reputable local dealer or shop that can do a pre-purchase inspection?

cheers -
I emailed the import company (it's still in business) last week asking if they did indeed replace the doors to meet DOT side impact standards but I have yet to hear anything back, but the same was done to my BMW E21 323i so it wouldn't surprise me too much.

And holy crap I hope it's not still for sale then, I REALLY need to sell it soon so please pass the word on MBWorld Members, you'd be doing a serious petrol head a solid.

And yes it was given a compression test two months ago when the wiring harnesses were replaced and the transmission was overhauled, everything checked out fine.

The shop here that's done all the work on it since it's been in the US can do a PPI for anyone interested, it's MB Euromotors and their owner has been a MBZ tech for 30 years, he knows this car very intimately and can give a very comprehensive report. When I told him I was going to be selling it he looked at his wife and she just nodded a big "no" because he just bought a euro spec 500SEC here and he's out of car space at the house and the shop. When he replaced the head gaskets a little over a year ago he noticed that the pistons were dished with valve reliefs, something he said he hadn't seen on M119's, which -he says- explains why he feels like this car has more power than the other E500E's he's driven (at least a couple dozen by now) except for a 6.0 RENNtech example he used to work on.

Still for sale, still need to sell soon!
Old 08-13-2008, 01:06 PM

1991 Euro 500E
I'm dropping the price here to $14,000
Really REALLY need to sell soon!
Old 08-16-2008, 02:31 AM

1991 Euro 500E
Nobody? Really?
Old 08-17-2008, 10:09 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
1991 300sl 5 speed manual
Red face

Nobody? Really?
Well for one. You went a little over board with the photo shop. 2. you have some issues with the bumper on the rear of the car looks like its deformed. If you want top dollar get that fixed.... 3. Just because its the euro doesnt bring more value maybe put it up on ebay and see how it does.. Just my .02
Old 08-18-2008, 08:16 PM

1991 Euro 500E
Originally Posted by jjay911
Well for one. You went a little over board with the photo shop. 2. you have some issues with the bumper on the rear of the car looks like its deformed. If you want top dollar get that fixed.... 3. Just because its the euro doesnt bring more value maybe put it up on ebay and see how it does.. Just my .02
Well for one I didn't do a whole lot in pchop, just enhanced the contrast because my point n' shoot always washes out the shots in the light here in Hawaii.
And secondly the rear bumper is fine, there's just this one clip missing from the bottom center that I've had on order for a month and should be here shortly the dealer here doesn't usually stock the parts for the car and I've had to special order everything with the "Hawaii delay" in full effect, once that comes in the bottom edge will sit nice and flat across the bottom.
But to your third point I would say that being euro does add some value, albeit not much but it does make the car rare among an already rare model, and even then $14k isn't out of the question for a nice early 500E.
And I would like to put it on eBay but since it doesn't have a US VIN they won't let me.

I know the biggest problem for me is my location, so I've complied a few common shipping location costs with ship dates for the first week of September (shipping rates do change depending on date).
Long Beach/Oakland/Seattle - $1072.00
Dallas - $1934
Detroit - $2001
Atlanta - $1990
Boston - $2074

Last edited by Brodie; 08-18-2008 at 08:38 PM.
Old 08-20-2008, 06:54 PM

1991 Euro 500E
bump to the top
Old 08-21-2008, 06:52 AM

Well for one I didn't do a whole lot in pchop, just enhanced the contrast because my point n' shoot always washes out the shots in the light here in Hawaii.
And secondly the rear bumper is fine, there's just this one clip missing from the bottom center that I've had on order for a month and should be here shortly the dealer here doesn't usually stock the parts for the car and I've had to special order everything with the "Hawaii delay" in full effect, once that comes in the bottom edge will sit nice and flat across the bottom.
But to your third point I would say that being euro does add some value, albeit not much but it does make the car rare among an already rare model, and even then $14k isn't out of the question for a nice early 500E.
And I would like to put it on eBay but since it doesn't have a US VIN they won't let me.

I know the biggest problem for me is my location, so I've complied a few common shipping location costs with ship dates for the first week of September (shipping rates do change depending on date).
Long Beach/Oakland/Seattle - $1072.00
Dallas - $1934
Detroit - $2001
Atlanta - $1990
Boston - $2074
Thanks for explaining the bumper problem, I was also assuming it had been redone by some accident. Your biggest problem is location. If this thing was within 500 miles of me and could be inspected by me I'd be over there immediately. Good luck, it's a real nice car.
Old 08-24-2008, 02:22 AM

1991 Euro 500E
Originally Posted by slk55lvr
Thanks for explaining the bumper problem, I was also assuming it had been redone by some accident. Your biggest problem is location. If this thing was within 500 miles of me and could be inspected by me I'd be over there immediately. Good luck, it's a real nice car.
Thanks for the compliments man.

Bump it up!
Old 08-25-2008, 02:25 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2005 E500 with 'some' BRABUS upgrades
WOW! That thing is immac! Hope she finds a good home..
Old 08-27-2008, 02:21 PM

1991 Euro 500E
Originally Posted by BRABUS_E500
WOW! That thing is immac! Hope she finds a good home..

Thank you, and I hope she does too, but right now a "good home" will belong to the first person who actually can get the money together (I've had three buyers who couldn't get a loan from their banks, damn this credit crunch!)
Old 09-02-2008, 10:56 PM

1991 Euro 500E
Bumpin it up
Tell your friends guys
Old 09-03-2008, 03:13 AM

1991 Euro 500E
Oh, a few more because there was some questions in other forums:
Behind Gas Lid

Under Gas Cap

Cruise Control Stalk

Gear Change Gate (my personal favorite)

Oh, and since I had some questions via email, yes, the AC has been converted, its a state law here

And in the box
Old 09-03-2008, 06:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'04 Silverado Z71 - sold all my Benzes and need another!
Wow, beautiful car just bad timing for me or I would've considered. GL on the sale man!
Old 09-15-2008, 06:34 PM

1991 Euro 500E
Open to offers guys
Old 10-01-2008, 03:39 PM

1991 Euro 500E
Man, I always forget how fast this forum moves, already on page 3, jeez, bumpin time
Old 10-31-2008, 03:12 PM

1991 Euro 500E
To The Top
Old 12-08-2008, 06:06 PM

1991 Euro 500E
Bump!

I'll include shipping to any port on the West Coast in the full asking price!
Old 12-08-2008, 07:30 PM

wow. super clean!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 1991 500E - Euro Import Model - Very Rare