Mercedes Vehicles The archived section for Mercedes vehicles on sale by members.
Mark this thread as Unsold

1984 MB 300SD in Cincinnati, OH

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-14-2009, 09:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'14 E550
1984 MB 300SD in Cincinnati, OH

Asking $5000(edit): negotiable...

I bought this car two years ago from the original owner's daughter. Overall, it is in very good condition. The body is in excellent shape, especially for a 1984 with 185,xxx miles. Of course it has the occasional paint chip, but it looks like MB just sprayed the undercoat. Since I bought it, I have replaced the shocks, rear springs, rear sub frame mounts, tie rods, drag link, timing chain, drive shaft flex joints, glow plugs, motor mounts/shocks, EGR delete, and did a valve adjustment and diesel purge (along with the normal oil/transmission fluid changes and filter replacements). I also went through and cleaned the ALDA banjo bolt/tube and pulled the manifolds and removed the soot buildup from over 20+ years of use. She runs well and starts right up in -5 degree weather, though I admit, the block heater helps.

In the interest of full disclosure...

What needs work... It could use a set of new springs. It has the heavy duty versions in them now, which is messing with the camber a bit. The correct springs should bring the ride height down to the normal level. What happened is that the previous owner put the HD's up front when she had the front end rebuilt back in 2001. This jacked up the front, and after I bought it, I figured replacing the rears with HD's would level it out back to the proper ride height. WRONG!!! The car leveled out, but at about 1 inch over the correct ride height. Oh well...

AC is broke. I fixed it for a total of two weeks last summer. I went through and put in a new compressor, expansion valve, desiccant dryer, and put in a new green seals wherever I broke a connection. After flushing the system, pulling a vacuum, and recharging the system with R12, I had 38 degree air. It was glorious!!! The next thing you know, I start hearing a clanking sound and the compressor seizes. I suppose I messed up with the lubricant, but I am not really sure what exactly happened.

Could use a new steering gearbox. There is the typical slop in the steering that gets on my nerves, though it is not bad enough for me to have replaced it.

Mystery drive train vibration. Could be the tires, could be a drive shaft. I know the half shafts and bearings are good, but beyond that, I have not dug too deep. The car is smooth up until roughly 70 mph, then the vibration starts.

The aux cooling fan does not work. I have a new one still in the box, along with a nice handful of spare parts. I will post a list when I get to inventory them tomorrow.

Why am I selling? Well, my wife drives the 06 Magnum R/T AWD (our minivan compromise :-) ), and I am now driving an 06 E320 CDI I picked up two days ago. I do not have the time to work on the 300SD anymore . I love the car, but I am working 50+ hours per week, am attending night classes to further my education, and have baby #2 on the way. Here are the pics...

Old 06-14-2009, 09:35 PM

'14 E550
More pics...

Here are some better pics with the car actually in the daylight.

One other note... The drivers side window regulator just crapped out on me. I took off the door panel and checked the voltage to the motor and had -8.5 and 8.5 VDC, respectively. I am thinking the regulator motor is siezed. So, I am going to throw in the new radio I bought for the car. It is a Kenwood KDC-HD942U, which is still in the box. I only opened it to drool over it for a bit, but other than that, it is brand new. I just never got the chance to install it. Here is a link:

http://www.amazon.com/Kenwood-KDC-HD...5027747&sr=8-1

And here are the pics of the car...

Old 06-24-2009, 08:37 PM

'14 E550
Price drop. $4k.
Old 07-02-2009, 01:08 PM

'14 E550
Another price drop: $3,500

I really need to sell soon...

Please...
Old 07-10-2009, 03:47 PM

'14 E550
Friday bump. I really need to sell...
Old 07-11-2009, 07:41 PM

'14 E550
I went through and finally inventoried my spare parts...

5 MANN oil filters
1 MANN air filter
1 BOSCH aux cooling fan I never got around to installing.
2 of the big BOSCH fuel filters
1 of the big MAHLE fuel filters
4 of the little white inline fuel filters (the ones with the metal ends)
2 window regulator plastic sliders
1 transmission filter kit (includes pan gasket)
1 new valve cover gasket
4 new rubber spring shims (rubber, for the suspension springs)
1 new center driveshaft bearing
1 new center driveshaft bearing carrier
4 new rear trailing arm bushings
5 used injector assemblies (I was going to put new Bosios in them)
5 new injector heat shields (sorry no new Bosio nozzles)
1 new (red) center dashpot ("vacuum element")
1 steering shaft flex joint (I was going to replace it when I did the gearbox)

That about all folks...

Last edited by yavorssj; 07-11-2009 at 08:06 PM.