Mercedes Vehicles The archived section for Mercedes vehicles on sale by members.
Mark this thread as Sold

FS: 1985 190e 2.3L 16v Cosworth Eurospec 5spd Getrag - Long Island, NY

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-19-2011, 11:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Classic Mini Turbo
Smile FS: 1985 190e 2.3L 16v Cosworth Eurospec 5spd Getrag - Long Island, NY

Hi Everyone,

Long time extreme lurker, but it has come time for me to sell the w201. Apologies for being redundant, but for those who dont know, this is the european spec 190e which has a host of different "upgrades", most important being the higher compression engine (10.5:1 instead of 9.7:1) along with the higher redline (7,000 instead of 6,800). This is the 185hp version as opposed to the 167hp US version. Other "extras" include (but please correct me if I'm wrong):
-Factory oil cooler
-Single piece headlights
-Vacuum operated headlight dip switches
-Power adjustable front seats with heater
-factory lap timer
-No 3rd brake light
-Smaller driver's side mirror

Also standard to both the US and EU 190e 2.3l Cosworths, the car has a Getrag dog leg 5 speed transmission (first gear is down and to the left) and was factory equipped with a rear LSD.

The car currently has approximately 166k miles. I do not know the number of previous owners. The car was repainted probably in the last 10 years. There are imperfections on some of the pannels. The paint is otherwise washed and waxed RELIGIOUSLY. I personally have a notoriously rigorous detailing schedule. There is no rust on the body. The interior is clean and tidy. The dash, like many others is cracked from the sun/heat. The car does not have AC (the compressor was removed), but the heat definitely works.

The engine was recently professionally rebuilt approximately 3,000 miles ago by a classic mercedes specialty shop. New pistons, rings, timing chain, valve shims and other misc. parts. I have all receipts for the parts and labor. The euro-spec pistons were impossible to find, but after a long wait, we got them. If you are serious about this car, I am more than happy to put you in touch with the owner of the shop that was responsible for the rebuild. The motor does not burn or drip any oil. It does not blow black smoke, it does not blow white smoke, the car runs very well. I broke in the motor meticulously (Varying RPMs and engine braking below 4,000 RPM for the first 1,000 miles, increase RPM by 500 every 200 miles thereafter.). The transmission was sent out to be rebuilt professionally by the previous owner, I do not have reciepts, but the transmission shifts smoothly without grinds or notchyness even in the winter (the car does not see snow).

The car has a fair amount of tasteful mods which include:
-S500 AMG Front brake calipers with cross drilled rotors
-H&R front and rear suspension. Despite the aggressive lowering, the car has a very plush ride
-"Personal" branded aftermarket steering wheel and hub (with working horn)
-painted to match rear calipers with cross drilled rotors
-painted front valence with flat black front grill, rain channels and window trim
-debadged trunk, clear turn signals, black emblems
-Aftermarket radio, amplifier and rear speakers (no subwoofer)

As to make reading easier, the following is the "Bad":
-ABS light comes on: Should be an easy fix and may be remediated by the time you see the car. Likely a dirty wheel sensor it comes on once I start rolling a few feet. Worst case scenario is being related to the AMG calipers. The car stops on a dime either way.
-Central door locks can only be activated on the passenger side. Should be an easy fix as well.
-Hunting idle between 800rpm and 1000rpm if the closed throttle solenoid is activated. Bypassing the solenoid idles the car at 1000rpm consistently.
-Cracked dashboard from heat
-No AC, but heater works

I am asking $9500. I am located on Long Island in NY. The car is garaged and washed frequently and has been driven seldom. The car performs beautifully and has been incredibly reliable. After the rebuild, I was commuting with it 140mi round trip 5 days a week between March and May. I am available to show the car weeknights after 8 and anytime on the weekends. I have the clean title on hand. I am most responsive via email. I am negotiable, but please do not bother doing this over the phone or via email. Cash in hand will take the car, I can work with you for delivery or storage if needed. Definitely be serious and test drive the car, bring a mechanic if you'd like, I am even open to taking the car to a mechanic of your choice at your expense.

I can be reached at lenwong@gmail.com or at 5I6-S22-O2O8. I respond in the most detail via email, most quickly via text and most friendly over the phone. Please feel free to shoot me any questions!

The pictures:

Last edited by lenn; 07-19-2011 at 11:20 AM. Reason: Forgot the asking price!
Old 07-19-2011, 07:43 PM

Classic Mini Turbo
Adding parts of conversations/PMs that I've had with other people:

The body is in excellent shape, there is one ding on the driver's side door approximtely 2 inches long. It is not a gash, the paint is not damaged. It would be a good candidate for paintless dent removal. The impact strip on the front bumper (the black portion) has a little bit of spider-web cracking, I assume someone backed into the previous owner. The plastic is not scratched or gashed, it is very minor. All of the pannels fit very well, there are no excess gaps or misaligned pannels. All things considered (including the car's age), the body is pretty close to pristine.

When claying the car, I noticed that the paint along the driver's side of the hood and a small portion of the driver's side hood is starting to show small bubbles, almost like goose bumps. I believe that this is an adhesion problem. Based on what the paint looks like and the location of these bumps (along horizontal pannels and not near edges) It is definitely not rust. I will take pictures for you. There are a small number of rock chips on the painted front facia that surrounds the grill, the grill itself should receive another pass of black paint. You can see the paint on the grill faded and chipped, the grill itself is in excellent shape. I could probably cound the number of rock chips across the front of the car. It would probably be less than 12. The paint behind the tires are in excellent shape as well (no rock chips or scratches.)

The paint is otherwise smooth as glass with no fading or swirling and no scratches or blemishes other than what I had mentioned above. I am extremely meticulous when it comes to detailing the paint. If you were curious, I clay, used the porter cable and griots polish, Klasse All-in-one, 2 coats of Klasse Sealant Glaze (waiting 24 hours between coats) and 2 coats of Collinite 476s (waiting between coats).

Forgot to add, there is a picture of the rear wing. The shop that repainted the car failed to add enough "Flex" in the paint before spraying it. The paint is cracked here, and I hate looking at it. It may not be obvious in the picture, but please zoom into it and you'll see the extent of the cracks.
Old 06-09-2012, 10:53 AM

Classic Mini Turbo
Another year has gone by and I've only put 200 miles on the car. This screams to me that we need the car gone!

Price reduced: $5,000
Old 06-09-2012, 11:21 AM

W210
is this for real or did someone hack your account ?
if so i assume this sold within the hour of the price drop ????
Old 06-09-2012, 11:40 AM

Classic Mini Turbo
Darth Vader, this if for real. The car is still available.
It starts and drives fine and I am confident you can even drive it home.

Email or call me. This car is a steal at this price... trust me.
Old 06-10-2012, 05:36 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Stg3 B5S4-C55 AMG
PM'd you.
Old 06-10-2012, 09:35 PM

Classic Mini Turbo
I've uploaded a ton of pictures of the car and included pictures of the front passenger and back seats. As I had mentioned to some who are emailing and PMing me, the seats are in exceptionally good condition. It is obvious that the car was not used as a grocery getter or a people mover:

https://picasaweb.google.com/1015366...eat=directlink

Folks, this honestly a great car.
For anyone that is following this, the ABS light is on because the caliper swap did not include the ABS sensors and hardware (typically a magnetic sensor and a large crown/castle ring for the axle). The OEM ABS wiring harness is still in tact and zip tied against the body. Once again, although the ABS dash light is on but the brakes work extremely well.

Also, considering the car is 1985, it is now NYS emissions inspection exempt. NYS will only do a visual safety inspection (lights, seat belt, horn etc.) that this car will pass with flying colors.

Hope to have this gone by next weekend, not looking to sell for $2,500 (.....yes, people are asking)

Trending Topics

Old 06-13-2012, 12:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
14'G63 AMG ,1994 Mercedes E500, 2020 Range Rover HST
Did you ever find out how much is it to replace the dash and if it's still possable to have it done at the dealer? Any rust on the car?
Thanx

Last edited by hubert; 06-13-2012 at 12:27 AM. Reason: Word correction
Old 06-13-2012, 09:11 AM

Classic Mini Turbo
I haven't priced out a dash replacement. I would assume that a dealer would not have the parts readily available or the parts would be incredibly expensive. I believe all 190e dashboards from this period should fit and would likely be the best approach to salvage a suitable replacement.

There is no rust on the car. I've checked the trunk, engine bay and underbody.
Old 06-15-2012, 07:57 AM

87 190e 2.3l-16v
SMH, wow only $5k. Have you advertised it elsewhere?

Usually you get a running but a fairly beat up US version cossie for the price your asking. Anyways, good luck.
Old 06-15-2012, 09:55 AM

Classic Mini Turbo
Gorillabeast, the original asking price is really just about where the market price should be, but honestly, demand is quite low for this car and the people who are looking for european cars in this era usually look for the E30.

I've been seeing a TON of craigslist US cossies listing in the $4k range that are very beat up. The nicer US cossies that list in the $6k range never seem to sell. Quite a shame really.

This Cossie is going up on ebay this weekend if it does not sell. I was able to find a few completed listings in the range of my original asking price in similar condition as mine.
Old 06-15-2012, 07:03 PM

C36 AMG 1996 black on black
do you take trades ? I have a clean C36 1996 from Canada. 160k Km Black.

In Any cases, as soon as my C36 is sold, I'm going to buy yours if it's still available.

Last edited by cassard; 06-15-2012 at 07:06 PM.
Old 06-19-2012, 10:51 AM

Classic Mini Turbo
Cassard, sorry, not really interested in trades right now, just looking to sell.

The car has been listed on eBay instead. The auction is scheduled to end 6/30 in the evening.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=160827409035

I would honestly be happier to see it go to an enthusiast here on this forum, but the car must go!
Old 08-07-2013, 08:13 PM

Classic Mini Turbo
Thanks for the interest, the car had sold a while ago