Mercedes Vehicles The archived section for Mercedes vehicles on sale by members.
Mark this thread as Unsold

FS: '92 500E

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-23-2011, 01:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'92 500E
FS: '92 500E

Fate is taking me in another direction and I regretfully must put up for sale my dream car. As a youth I fantasized about owning one of the famous Mercedes "Hammers" and then decades later learned about our lovely 500E models. A few years ago I bought one and have enjoyed it tremendously.

I suggest you look up yourself on the internet the amazing provenance of these cars. For those of you not familiar with the '92 to '93 500E, I give you some insight . . . here is what one internet site says about them:

"Mercedes included a sport version of the W124, the 500E, created in close cooperation with Porsche. Each 500E was hand-built by Porsche, being transported back and forth between the Mercedes plant and Porsche's Rossle-Bau plant in Zuffenhausen during assembly---taking a full 18 days to complete each model. Between 1991 and 1995, Mercedes/Porsche built a total of 10479 500E's. Of these, 1505 of the "super" sports sedans were imported into the USA between 1992-1994, or roughly 500 cars per year of importation. Called the 500E through model year 1993, in 1994 the 500E was face-lifted and re-badged the E500.

"The 500E had a 32-valve V8 engine delivering 322 hp (240 kW) and 354 ft·lbf (480 N·m), with the engine being derived from the R129 500SL roadster. Sports car braking performance also came SL components: Front SL500 300mm disks with 4-piston calipers came installed on the 1992 and early 1993 cars. The later 1993, and all 1994 cars came with the upgraded 320mm set taken from the 600SL. Rear brakes on all years were 277mm brakes from the 500SL. In the USA, the 500E came fully-loaded, with the only options available to the buyer being a dealer-installed CD changer and an integrated telephone. The 500E was only available as a four-seater, with the four leather seats supplied by Recaro (the fronts heated).

"Called the "Velvet Hammer" by Mercedes, and a "Wolf in Sheep's Clothing" by the press, performance tests of the day yielded impressive results: 0-60 mph (97 km/h) times of 5.5 seconds and accelerateration through the quarter-mile (0.4 km) in 14.1 seconds at 101 mph (163 km/h). Top speed was electronically limited to 155 mph (251 km/h). It was rated at 14 mpg (16.8 L/100 km) in the city and 17 mpg (13.8 L/100 km) on the highway.

"With its aggressive stance: 1.5 inches wider track, 0.9 inch lower profile, flared fenders, side skirts, front air-dam and wide tires, the 500E is easily distinguished from its lesser brethren. Because of its look, limited numbers, hand-built construction, and unique pedigree, the 500E is already considered a "classic," even within Mercedes-Benz."

There is extensive information on the net about these truly exceptional 124.036 vehicles. Many MB lovers know of the robust construction and engineering of the W124 chassis, combine that with the development work Porsche did to shoehorn in the M119 engine into that bay, and you have quite a car on your hands!

Some history on this car: I bought this car several years ago from the well-known northern California Mercedes mechanic Robert Fenton who was well acquainted with the car having maintained it for a very wealthy "open checkbook" owner. About 6 years ago the previous owner had the car thoroughly gone over, spending well over $30,000 to have just about everything under the hood and throughout the chassis refurbished as needed for all wear components. So all the electrical issues, wiring looms, gaskets, hoses, etc. that need attention on this car was replaced.

Unfortunately, just months after this extensive work was completed the car was in a fender bender (right rear quarter only) in 2006. No doubt, the owner was enjoying the drive and flexed its muscle a bit too much and spun out.

Incredibly when it came time to do the insurance claim the adjuster credited the value of the chassis as a common 6 cylinder 300E, not the mighty 500E V8 that it is. Incredibly, the owner accepted the pay off on his car at the lower value and walked away from the miss-adjustment.

Upon learning this, Fenton gladly paid the insurance company the low value 300E write off price to acquire the Salvage Title for what was largely cosmetically injured car. He then repaired the few rear suspension components that needed attention with all NOS MB parts and had the body attended to at the highest professional standards.

I in-turn bought the car sight unseen, and had it delivered to me in Missouri. The car was everything I expected, a mid-mileage near perfect 500e that has been my pride and joy these recent years. Garage kept, I continued to maintain this beauty at no-cost-concerned, driving it only about 5,000 miles a year. Currently with 182,800+ miles, as you can see by the photos, a very well kept example of a nearly 20-year old car.

Here we go . . . the Good, the Bad ...

Good
* Correct replacement Hella Euro Headlights (man are they nice and bright!)
* Custom European front plate "93 500E with Stuttgart & Porsche stickers
* Upgraded grill
* Weather Tech Rubber Trunk Liner
* European look no-color front turn signals
* Later model style grill (all metal)
* An OMG! $8,000 everything-under-the-sun Kenwood sound/video system including: AM/FM/Sirius/DVD/TV/Motorola Hands Free Blue Tooth/GPS Navigation/AudioDVD/Aux Audio & Video Input/5.1 Surround Digital Signal Processing with all high end speakers in the standard positions and a very discrete sub-woofer (installed on back deck where First Aid kit would reside)/Split channel audio (front passengers can listen to music while rear seat guests watch DVD with wireless headphones), headphones, remote controller. This is the type of head unit that you can use either as a traditional dashboard type of radio, or push a button and a large screen motors out with a wonderful touch screen video display.
* Additional 12 volt accessory outlets - For Radar Detector, Cell phones, Laptop.
* Near-New Standard 500E wheels with
* Near new Pirelli P600 225/65 ZR16 tires.
* All body electrical functions perfectly including rear headrests, sunshade, all dashboard switches, all seat movements, all gauges, AC/Heat, heated seats, power seats & headrests, sun roof, door locks, lights, etc. etc.
* Nice door-mounted drink cup holders.
* Trick hiding motorized front license plate. Yes, the custom European plate stays with car, and a small key-fob remotely controls the position of the state plate.
* No rust.
* Leather seats are perfect. (Check out in photos!)
* Carpets perfect. (Including floor mats)
* All wood perfect.
* COLD AC! (air conditioning and heat works in all functions)
* Tracks straight, no weird noises, no weird vibrations no drips!
* Comprehensive maintenance records for everything done on car since 1999 years. (Most recent work: New battery, new starter (Bosch), new rotors & caps (dual, Bosch) at Elite Mercedes, Springfield.)
Bad
* Salvage Title (Something this car honestly does not deserve).
* Clearcoat thin in small spots on rear trunk
* Small ding in front left fender.
* Small ding in left passenger's door.
* Some of the anodized exterior trim fading.
* A bit of normal road rash on front hood edge (you have to look closely to see) and grill.
* Few stone divits (minor minor... can you see them in the photos?) here and there, including teeny tiny new one on brand new windshield. (Arrgh!)
MORE PHOTOS AVAILABLE - All documents in hand (back to '99) travel with the car.

PRICE: $12,000

(I am retired and can deliver pre-paid car to just about anywhere in America for expenses (hotel/food/gas) + $250 + round-trip plane ticket).
Attached Thumbnails FS: '92 500E-p1070280.jpg   FS: '92 500E-p1070284.jpg   FS: '92 500E-p1070309.jpg   FS: '92 500E-p1070314.jpg   FS: '92 500E-p1070335.jpg  

FS: '92 500E-p1070339.jpg  
Old 07-23-2011, 11:24 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
n/a
Very nice car but it's gonna be difficult to get anywhere close to your asking price because of the salvage title.

GLWS!
Old 07-24-2011, 10:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2011 GL550, 2004 Audi S4 v8
Agreed. Too much with salvage title, but it does look amazing though...GL