Mercedes Vehicles The archived section for Mercedes vehicles on sale by members.
Mark this thread as Unsold

FS: Mercedes Benz SL55 AMG (Modded - FF build)

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 3.40 average.

Old 10-19-2012, 04:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL55 AMG
Will let go for $44K

if I don't get any offers at $45K.
Old 10-19-2012, 04:44 PM
SPONSOR

Received 62 Likes on 61 Posts
Mercedes-Benz, Porsche, BMW, MINI and more!
Great looking car!
Old 10-19-2012, 04:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL55 AMG
^^^Thank you
Old 10-26-2012, 07:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL55 AMG
bump
Old 11-04-2012, 02:13 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
AMG
Modding is never a waste of money... it's the journey that counts

GLWS
Old 11-05-2012, 06:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL55 AMG
^^^ I wish that were true
Old 11-09-2012, 08:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL55 AMG
Price reduced to $43K
Old 11-11-2012, 10:01 AM

'09 GT-R and '12 EVO MR
Originally Posted by IngenereAMG
Sunir:

I'm sorry to see that you are selling your 55. They are great cars, and your car in particular is brilliant.

The problem with modded cars is the more one mods, the narrower the potential market becomes. You have to find the guy that wants exactly what you have done.

Most guys look at year-miles-price, which is foolish. A 70K mi car that has been loved and cared for, can be way better than a 30K mi car that has been neglected

Allot of people say they don't want the mods. The reality is that they don't want to pay for them. I put Veloce Performance together to supply 'bang for the buck' mods, as I figure we never (at least I), ever saw my money back from mods on my cars.

Your best bet would be to return the car to stock configuration and sell it that way. Assuming you saved the OEM stuff. Then sell the mods off.

I get allot of requests for SL55s. I'll ask a few of my clients. Maybe I can help.
I agree with Dino, as I'm trying to sell my '09 GT-R and had to remove all after market parts. Most people just want to buy something stock, unless the vehicle is modded a specific way. Otherwise, people simply don't care how much money you spent on it. For me, I took all the bolt ons off and will be selling those separately, so I'll be getting some of that money back. I see you're also in the DC area, and I'm looking for a high performance AMG. The problem is, I need something I can drive year round. And I suspect your vehicle has never seen snow, although I could be wrong. I'm selling both my GT-R and and '12 EVO MR to go with one vehicle that I can drive every day, year round. No more garage queens!
Old 11-13-2012, 07:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL55 AMG
^^ I would do that but the car has custom bits on it and most of the stock stuff isn't even here in my State...If somebody had an SL55 AMG and wanted all the mods for their stock stuff I could do that I suppose and go back to stock and sell it that way...?

What do you guys think of that maybe put up a post in the SL55 forums, and get some swapping of parts done so somebody else can modify their car and I can go back to stock, at least on the some of the mods...
Old 11-21-2012, 05:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL55 AMG
Thanksgiving day bump!
Old 04-17-2013, 07:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL55 AMG
PRICE REDUCED - $41K o.b.o

Spring is here! This is the right car for it, perfect inside/out...tastefully moded drives perfect, comes with warranty. Just gas and go!

With over $25K invested it would take over a year to do this build and re-create this car, not to mention a bunch of cash. I am only selling because I took delivery of my Aston Martin DB9 while having this car and can't keep both, space, free up funds, not have to keep paying insuranancs on multiple, just don't drive my cars as much as I would like so this one is up for sale. I'm a motivated seller looking for the right buyer who will appreciate this car and all I've done it it.
Old 04-26-2013, 06:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL55 AMG
PRICE DROP TO $40K

...the weather is getting nice and we are heading into summer soon! The perfect time of year for an awesome SL55 AMG!
Old 05-02-2013, 10:27 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W210 E320 4MATIC
OP learned his lesson. Nuff said
Old 05-02-2013, 12:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL55 AMG
Bump....for a great car...you couldn't build this car if you bought a stock SL55 for the money I am asking.
Old 05-02-2013, 04:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
SL55AMG, Ferrari 348, Ferrari Testarossa, Ferrari F40, Ferrari Mondial t, Ducati 916, Indycar
It's good to see you on here. Sorry to hear that your SL55's 'adoption' is taking longer than you would like.

As for me, I have decided that after spending $130K for a new SL55 back in '03, I would rather set it on fire than sell it for what I could get for it. It's such a great car, that it is basically not replaceable.

I was on the AMG Private Lounge the other night, when they were having a 'chat session' between AMG and the members. I decided to pose a dreaded question that has burned me since upon placing my SL55 order, back in '02, when I was assured that this car would be extremely limited production. I didn't realize 'limited' meant...... limited to as many as they can possibly make.

My question was simply, "When is MB/AMG going to do something about production volume on the AMG and special cars, in order to preserve the value and investment that their customers make"? AMG's answer ....... crickets. They ignored the question. As much as I love my SL55, it will be the last new MB/AMG car that I buy. But, man it is a good one!

I hope you get 'er sold!
Old 05-02-2013, 04:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL55 AMG
^^^ Thanks Dino Yeah I am thru with AMG and Merc...great cars but too hard on the depreciation. Plus I modded mine and dumped 25K on top of it...ugh STUPID me! The car is great, but Merc second hand buyers seem to be tirekickers...for what I am asking for this car it should be picked up quick. Can you do me a favor and see if you can sell it on AMG private lounge for me. Like put a link to my ad or something.

I am only selling because I took deliver on my Aston Martin DB and don't want to keep both...I am down to 5 cars and would like to be down to 4. My SL55 AMG is perfect inside/out and is incredibly fast plus comes with CSC Warranty thru end of April 2014.
Old 05-02-2013, 08:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 58 Likes on 46 Posts
E55 2006 / CLS55 / S450 / Jag XKR2011
The original selling price and modification are irrelevant to the current selling price. Unfortunately the market price is just low for AMG. A stock 03 at 70K miles worth around $30K. That's why I am going to keep my car for at least 5 more years.
Old 05-02-2013, 08:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL55 AMG
Originally Posted by CharlyE500
The original selling price and modification are irrelevant to the current selling price. Unfortunately the market price is just low for AMG. A stock 03 at 70K miles worth around $30K. That's why I am going to keep my car for at least 5 more years.
I hear what you are saying...I am taking the market price and adding 30 cents on the dollar or there abouts for the mods...that's like 70% off for a lot of great mods....looking for a buyer who wants an SL55 AMG and was going to do some mods, this would save that byer a ton of $$$.
Old 05-03-2013, 01:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
SL55AMG, Ferrari 348, Ferrari Testarossa, Ferrari F40, Ferrari Mondial t, Ducati 916, Indycar
I logged on and guess what........ no for sale area
Old 05-03-2013, 06:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
1967 Pro Touring turbo LSX Camaro
You didnt get a response perhaps because others thought that you were either retarted, or trolling. WTF are you talking about "value and investment" you have a ten year old luxury sports car that is mechanically complex and therefore problematic and expensive to repair. This is a main factor in the steep depreciation curve. You buy the car because you like owning it, not in any mutation of the word is it an investment. True that some cars depreciate faster than others but is that a reason to drive a Corvette over a Ferrari or AMG? F**k no, one depreciates like its rolling down a hill and the others like they're dropped off a cliff. You're going to lose a small fortune buying anything new so drive what you want.
Originally Posted by IngenereAMG
My question was simply, "When is MB/AMG going to do something about production volume on the AMG and special cars, in order to preserve the value and investment that their customers make"? AMG's answer ....... crickets. They ignored the question. As much as I love my SL55, it will be the last new MB/AMG car that I buy.

Your car is no white elephant, there is a huge enthusiast following of this platform, and still even as the cars are ten years old now, you still see folks pouring money into them in the form of custom engine and body modifications. That should tell you that the only reason yours hasn't sold yet after over a year on the market is that you are not realistic about your price.

Lots of people including me, think you have a beautiful car and would like to own it. So price it right and sell it. Your SL with no mods is realistically worth about 28k give or take a little. People that say mods don't add value are incorrect, they add value to the right buyer, but not very much with rare exception. For the most part, spending your money on car mods is entertainment value for you not unlike buying expensive tickets to the Super Bowl or going on a vacation. With car mods you do have some residual value, but not much because the labor cost to remove the parts and then resupply new stock parts is part of the equation and what you really have is a car with some parts that are improved over the OE in some ways and usually a compromise in another.

Regardless of what you came out of pocket, quoting 25,000 in mods on this car and then applying a 30% price to them is completely unrealistic. Not as nonsensical as trying to get 60,000 for this car when you first wrote the ad, but I get it, you can always go down. It just shouldn't take a year. What you really have that an enthusiast will find appealing is a set of headers/midpipe, a pulley, trunk IC tank and a cold air intake. The rest is "whatever" stuff that really will not add .25c to the value. The aforementioned parts will add a few thousand in appeal value to an enthusiast being that they're installed and working correctly so price this car at 32k and it'll find a new home.

Get rid of those CCW wheels, theyre ancient and make the car look dated, most would rather have the stocks. Someone out there likes those, but it's probably not the same guy with cashin hand for a modded 03SL.

GLWS, I honestly hope that someone calls you this afternoon and hands you 400 Benjamins for the SL and you get to give me a big " I told you so"

Originally Posted by Sunir
I hear what you are saying...I am taking the market price and adding 30 cents on the dollar or there abouts for the mods...that's like 70% off for a lot of great mods....looking for a buyer who wants an SL55 AMG and was going to do some mods, this would save that byer a ton of $$$.
Old 05-04-2013, 04:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL55 AMG
^^^ good points...I'll keep gradually lowering the price until it sells. So maybe somewhere in the $35K - $40K range stands a better chance of it selling.
Old 05-06-2013, 01:02 AM

06 cls 55 amg
Ask what you want for your car in your thread....it will probabally sell for what it is worth anyway...fet an aftermarket warranty...these cars arnt expensive with a warranty...
Old 05-06-2013, 02:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL55 AMG
Originally Posted by meinersk
Ask what you want for your car in your thread....it will probabally sell for what it is worth anyway...fet an aftermarket warranty...these cars arnt expensive with a warranty...

Bump....I am asking for what I want, $40K or as close to that as possible... I will like to hear from anyone who would like to put in an offer, as a serious buyer. I will work on the price for the right buyer...
Old 06-14-2013, 07:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SL55 AMG
Price REDUCED to $37K
Old 06-18-2013, 08:48 PM

2003 Porsche Cayman S
SL55

I have been reading your threads, nice car and nice pics, but I have to agree with the rest of the group....the 2003 SL55 AMG is only worth about $25k for retail pricing in NADA. Ok....I'll go a little higher for the mods, but I don't see how those mods can really make this car a 10.xx car?

The other concern I have is that the car must be sitting somewhere in a warehouse...don't you drive it? Do you have a time slip for 10.xx runs? Why not run it once or twice down the track and prove what it can do...

I might be interested if I know you can really get a car that goes that fast...but I am skeptical...those mods are not that special....but yes I am sure you paid a nice sum for labor, especially custom one off pieces.

It might be worth $30k for the right buyer....show me the times...and I'll come out and look the car over...

Last edited by devinbrowne250; 06-18-2013 at 08:50 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 3.40 average.

Quick Reply: FS: Mercedes Benz SL55 AMG (Modded - FF build)