Notices

Clear bra installer Chicago area recommendations

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-07-2018, 08:58 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 GL450 1995 BMW 325IS
Clear bra installer Chicago area recommendations

I would like to get a clear bra installed on my GL450. I have received a price of $1595 to do the front bumper, full hood and mirrors. They would do the install in my garage as it is difficult for me to get to the city as I live in the south suburbs. The place is called Midwest Autobahnd. Anyone use them before? Any other recommendations for an installer? Can the install be successful if done at my house? Thanks for any advice!!
Old 04-08-2018, 09:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 678 Likes on 643 Posts
2014 E350 also restored: 1969 Camaro convertible SS 1957 Chevy Belair 2dr hardtop
I personally would not get it done. The Chicago area gets a a lot of stuff thrown up on car from road. I have had my car now for 4 years. Every once in a while I have to touch up a ding but it is not that often. If I had the coating I could not touch it up. and after a while you will see where the coating is coming off. But then again I do not have the $1600 and if I did I would not spend it on a coating.
Old 04-08-2018, 10:23 AM

Received 184 Likes on 141 Posts
/////PRO
OP-i believe the person that responded to you is confused, you are asking about clear bra/paint protection film, the person who responded sounds like they are talking about coatings.....and their comments of how much stuff gets kicked up off the road completely justifies getting PPF installed.

Sorry I can’t help you in Chicago, but if you are willing to drive north to Milwaukee area, have a shop that can crank out for you in short order.
Old 04-08-2018, 11:21 AM

Thanks for both responses! I did not do the clear bra protection on my BMW, and I am constantly touching up small marks. Granted, I added a modified bumper so I’m sure the paint shop did not apply as many coats of paint as the factory. The area where I work has numerous gravel trucks, so I am hoping that the film would protect against small stones, salt and gravel dust. I’m the type of person that keys in on the imperfections like paint chips on the hood that would bother me immensely; though a bad install of the film or a rock thru it would as well and would have to be replaced or removed.
Old 05-08-2018, 03:05 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2019 S560 Sedan
The best guy in the midwest is in Palatine, IL - Ivan Rajic, Lustr Auto Detail. His work is impeccable. He's done every new car I've purchased in years, and touches them up when they need it. He does detailing and paint protection film. I'd recommend both in Chicago's climate. I just dropped my S550 off with him today. Let me know if you need more info.
Old 05-09-2018, 09:23 AM

Thanks for the info Mike! I ended up doing the XPEL install with Midwest Autobahn in Chicago. Dealt with Ross the owner. Javier did a great job with the full front install, plus added film behind the door handles and on the door edges. Edges were tucked under where possible. Looks great!
The following users liked this post:
MichaelinChicag (05-10-2018)
Old 06-19-2019, 03:14 PM

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
C63S, 2004 S4, 2001 S4 Avant
We used MW Autobahnd for my XC90, but I think when they were on Lake downtown. I have had paint protection film on almost all of my cars. I have one currently without it, but my wife does not charge down roads like I do, so it is not as necessary.

I have done half hood before, but would recommend full hood for regular coupes and sedans - it is not significantly more but makes a significant difference over time. For an SUV, it is not as necessary (like the XC90).

Because I am in the burbs, I plan to go to Chicago Auto Pros for replacement of clear bra in a few weeks. They have done a fantastic job on vinyl and tint on my cars.