ML55 AMG, ML63 AMG (W163, W164) 1999 - 2011 Two Generations

Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8 420HP Hemi 6.1

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-19-2005, 04:12 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
I just thought about it..

Drive dynamic seats. I can't think of another car that has them (Although I prefer the RS4's... mmmm)
Old 12-19-2005, 05:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ricky.agrawal
I bet you could get a Ferrari branded wheel chair for a few thousand dollars...

Actually I'd think that with the profit margins slimming down and what not, companies like Toyota and BMW (the ones expanding..) are the ones making massive new innovations.

Maybe it's just me.. (and I really think it is) but I can't think of a single technology which Mercedes has introduced that another company doesn't have, but I can think of many other technologies that Mercedes' has yet to introduce.. yet.

You know what would rock? The sporty-ability of a BMW + The class / heritage of a Mercedes + the reliability of a Lexus / engineering of a Lexus + the ergonomics (sp?) of an Audi + the exhaust tone of a Ferrari..
PRE-SAFE....The most powerfull naturaly aspirated V8( 6.3 V8 AMG)...7 speed automatic tranny...do other companies have these?..do you want me to count more?

the sporty ability of a bmw..thats not a plus or minus..thats a style /characteristics..some enjoy mbz ride some bimmers. depends on ones taste.
engineering of a lexus...i dont agree with you here...german engineering is far better than japanese.

ergonomics...again, I believe its the taste. some are taller some shorter. some like the buttons on the steering wheel , some on dash board.

exhaust tone...again..the taste...some like it quiet , some like it aggressive.

the decision is yours....MB leads on technology, safety, reliability, class

If you dont want top of there and the sound is more important to you, go for a ferrari.
if you want more sport ability go for a bmw.
but if you care for overall, you will end up buying an MB.
Old 12-19-2005, 05:08 PM

ohh well , my taste for example

I love the handling of the BMW. In my opinion non-M bmw sounds better than a non-amg mb. but amg mbs sounds better than all bmws. ferrari is a very cool car. great look great sound. but I dont think I can handle that sound all the time. too loud for me.
audi is a beautifull machine too. it just doesnt have the class of the MB.

so all my votes goes to MB except the handling. I dont think thats enough reason to go for a bmw for me.
Old 12-19-2005, 05:22 PM
ON PROBATION

BMW has been designing-in the handling for quite awhile (lighter V8's, bracing in the engine compartment, aluminum front end, etc.). What really kills me with a Bimmer is what happens after a front-end collision: all that aluminum up there means that more likely than not, your car is totalled.... Worth it for the handling? Maybe....
Old 12-21-2005, 09:45 PM

Unfortunatly Not A Silver Star
Oh Yea !

Would have to say that looks a bit more appealing than the avrage everyday jeep, nice performance figures too !
Old 12-22-2005, 12:31 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
00 MB ML55, 91 Toyota Supra Turbo(sold), 06 E500(gone), 03 BMW M3
Originally Posted by Militant-Grunt
I test drove a mid range Jeep Cherokee, an 05, and it doesnt compare at all to my ML55 ( and Im not talking performance wise ). Even though they were similarly equipped, when you sit in my ML, it is like a whole another car. Same will be true with this SRT8 and the ML63, the ML completely outclasses the Cherokee.
thats why the midrange Jeep has digital controls for temp and what not and an $80k ML55 has knobs? All we got for our money was a big engine and some special leather.

What most people are talking about when comparing the new SRT8 to the ML63... They are comparable, I have seen an SRT8 in person, and its nothing to stick your nose up at... As an ENTHUSIAST you have to be pretty excited about this car, I would take an SRT8 over my ML55

Last edited by 55fanatic; 12-22-2005 at 12:33 PM.
Old 12-22-2005, 12:36 PM
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by ricky.agrawal
Heh, replace MB with Toyota in all your points except the only one that doesn't make the car move.. class.

But of course class is dependent on the owner, not the car.
Touche!!!
Old 12-22-2005, 12:46 PM
ON PROBATION

Not to be harsh, and this is just my opinion - No. The new ML (and GL and R) have incredible new technology built into them. How they are built, apart from the features, safety, comfort, performance, etc alone justifies the/a price differential.....
I have found that in cars and electronics (among other things) "you generally get what you pay for". Yes, the Jeep (or a Mustang or Corvette) is a heckuva bargain -- but it is that, a bargain. I am not one to spend $30K because it's a "bargain". And I don't buy things just because they were on sale (and therefore a "bargain").

Last edited by ClayJ; 12-22-2005 at 12:53 PM.
Old 12-22-2005, 01:14 PM
Out Of Control!!

do we have a final price yet on the 63?

say its $100k Is it 60 or 70k nicer in build quality and the extra options? I bet not
Old 12-22-2005, 01:18 PM
ON PROBATION

I don't know anything about a final price - and may be partially determined by what happens to the dollar over the next 6 months - but I am guessing $80-something K here in the US, loaded-up.
Old 03-03-2006, 01:08 PM

gl450
Saw this thing today

Was on GCP heading west in Queens NY. Menacing in black. Looked very cool. Very agressive and FAST!!! Had open road from LGA to BQE. Raced with it in my C55. It kept up. For the $$$, excellent buy IMHO.
Old 03-03-2006, 04:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'10 Porsche Turbo PDK, 500e, GL450
BMW totalling

"BMW has been designing-in the handling for quite awhile (lighter V8's, bracing in the engine compartment, aluminum front end, etc.). What really kills me with a Bimmer is what happens after a front-end collision: all that aluminum up there means that more likely than not, your car is totalled.... Worth it for the handling? Maybe...."

I actually like that ...
Old 03-03-2006, 04:27 PM

Received 79 Likes on 55 Posts
S63 COUPE M157
Originally Posted by Substance
Anyone who has had a MB will never buy a Jeep no matter how it is good on numbers.
I would go for a ML350..40 000 usd than a JeepGC 6.1hemi.

I would never feel confortable doing speed on a jeep anyways.
Actually I've got my 06 ML320 CDI and I would take a JeepGC SRT-8 anyday over my ML. And I still have and love my old 2000 GC, felt quite comfortable while doing over 125mph...
Old 03-03-2006, 04:42 PM

2005 e55
Originally Posted by ClayJ
Ted-
There ya go...I agree with you completely about admiring good engineering, mechanicals, and build in a car -- whatever the make.
The problem I find continually with American carmakers is that (I suppose) to keep the price down they throw a great engine into an arguably POS car, and then brag about its performance. What about safety? What about comfort? What about functionality? What about reliability? To me, paying 'only' 30 grand for a POS is not a 'deal'! I'd rather pay another 30 grand and get my money's worth.... Chrysler, Ford, and Dodge have gotten into this kick lately of dropping an arguably hot motor into a car of which the rest of it is a POS --and I as a car enthusiast resent that...they could do SO much better. Now that they've lost 40 to 50% of their sales on their truck-chassis high-profit vehicles they're going to have to ....
well said!
Old 03-03-2006, 07:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
300ce
Originally Posted by rbc55
well said!

.............well, if American cars had the same fancy interiors, they will cost as much as the German ones. I am not a fan of cheap interiors, but consider the CLK 320 with a fancy interior but an engine that takes you 0-60 in 20 secs and handling like that of a belly dancer. Car costs over $50K. This does not make sense either. With that much cash, you can get a very fast, excellent handling American car.........perhaps with cheap looking interior. I don't think there are any big secrets in car manufacturing..........each companies simply choosses what areas to cut cost. If the Grand Cherokee SRT8 had as fancy an interior as the ML63, you will be paying the same price for both cars. I don't think the Grand Cherokee or the Corvette have cheapp looking interiors because American car makers lack the knowledge to make the interiors nicer. Talking about that........The ML63 is made in Alabama and the Grand Cherokee is made in Austria.........now go figure. LINK

Ted
Old 03-04-2006, 10:09 AM

MBs
M Class/Jeep sharing

Hey guys. Looks like there's more ML Jeep sharing in the future...

Mercedes and Chrysler will share more; next-gen SUVs likely an option

By JENS MEINERS AND HARALD HAMPRECHT | AUTOMOTIVE NEWS

AutoWeek | Published 01/26/06, 9:00 am et

Dieter Zetsche is getting serious with plans to make Daimler- Chrysler’s Mercedes and Chrysler divisions work more closely together.

The new chairman, who took over January 1, sees engines and transmissions, assembly processes and purchasing as areas where cooperation can be improved.

“We think the biggest opportunity lies in sharing all know-how and technological processes. There is opportunity in sharing parts as well,” Zetsche said at the Detroit auto show.

Asked about the possibility that Chrysler vehicles could be built in Mercedes’ plants and vice versa, Zetsche said: “Plant sharing is not an objective in itself. It would be interesting to have flexibility ‘in case of.’ ”

Zetsche, 52, also is CEO of Mercedes Car Group, a position he took over temporarily September 1 but now intends to hold for the foreseeable future. Until September, Zetsche was CEO of Chrysler.

M Class/Jeep sharing

One option for sharing is in the development of next-generation Mercedes and Chrysler SUVs.

Frank Klegon, Chrysler’s vice president of product development, said: “The successors to the Jeep Cherokee and the M class won’t necessarily have identical platforms, but they will surely have many more common modules and systems,”

Thomas Weber, D/C board member for research and development, said: “We don’t want any common platforms, but we are discussing an intelligent module strategy. This isn’t putting a new hat on an old floor pan.”

Technology sharing between Mercedes and Chrysler likely will go in just one direction – from Mercedes to Chrysler.

“I don’t really see a transfer from Chrysler to Mercedes, but we will have integrated committees and common standards,” Weber said.

That makes sense, analysts say.

“On the technological side, clearly the expertise is at Mercedes-Benz,” said Georg Stürzer, an automotive analyst with HypoVereinsbank in Munich.

Stürzer said: “But in terms of production efficiency, Chrysler is ahead of Mercedes in some respects.”

Thanks to Doug Hetrick who forwarded the article to me.
http://www.autoweek.com/apps/pbcs.dl.../60123016/1041

Last edited by Wolfgang; 03-04-2006 at 10:11 AM.