ML55 AMG, ML63 AMG (W163, W164) 1999 - 2011 Two Generations

Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8 420HP Hemi 6.1

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-12-2005, 11:21 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2005 Carlsson CD32 E320 CDI Inline-6
Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8 420HP Hemi 6.1

Was reading Nov 28th AutoWeek today about this new car from DCX on-sale now.

Starting price only $39,900 and 0-60 in 4.9 seconds (Cayenne Turbo = 5.16) and top speed limited at 155 mph.

AutoWeek testers averaged about 13.39 mpg in hard-on driving of this 4800 lb all-wheel drive monster.

14.2" front rotors with Brembo 4-pots. 60-0 in 125ft.

Not bad looking, either. 20" Wheels.

This thing looks like some really nice equipment for the money. Probably bound to be a collectors item, eventually, depending on # built.

http://www.autoweek.com/article.cms?articleId=103621

I love Mercedes, will always have one. But you need a big vehicle too for utility reasons. This Jeep looks like a great way to get the Christmas Tree home, fast.
Old 12-15-2005, 08:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is the ML forum, further more its the ML " AMG " forum.
Are you comparing Jeep to MB?
Jeep Grandcherokee is nowhere a collection item.
Anyone who has had a MB will never buy a Jeep no matter how it is good on numbers. Its the image, its the elite name...the name itself is enough to advertise a mercedes....jeep needs those figures such as 420hp blah blah to get attention.

I would go for a ML350..40 000 usd than a JeepGC 6.1hemi.

I would never feel confortable doing speed on a jeep anyways.
Old 12-16-2005, 11:02 AM
ON PROBATION

I don't think that you're going to get much (positive) response to a thread on the new hemi Jeep from a bunch of AMG'ers....
Old 12-16-2005, 12:25 PM

2003 CLK430 Cabriolet
wow this is a *****ly bunch.
he was just making conversation. isn't that what the board is for?
relax.
Old 12-16-2005, 03:27 PM

2005 Porsche Cayenne Turbo
I'd say its pretty relevant especially b/c anyone who buys a ML55, should expect to be beaten by the new GrandCherokee SRT8....and as someone who has been driving both MB vehicles and Jeep vehicles from the early 80's on too the 2005's i can tell you from first hand experience they are both quality, stylish and reliable vehicles and to be quite honest the Jeep name does carry status especially when its sitting next to the MB in the driveway.....You do also realize MB is directly involved in development of the SRT8. Im not trying to put you on the spot.....substance....but you drive a C280.....i wouldnt call that the elite of MB.....in fact i would consider the 05 SRT8 much higher on the "status food chain" than your C-class.......
Old 12-16-2005, 03:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
300ce
..........this is one of those things that makes me wonder how one can call himself/herself an automobile enthusiast, yet is unable to appreciate other cars. If you are a car guy and you tell me that somewhere inside of you, you don't think that what DC is doing in their SRT8 devision merits no credit, then you need to turn in your credentials. It is one thing to be arrogant but another thing to be totally blind. For the first time Chrysler devision of Dc is turning out some hot cars, the Dodge Grand Cherokee SRT* being one of them.

Ted
Old 12-16-2005, 06:52 PM

I am going to college in the US on a temporary student visa. Which means , no financing , no lease for me. I bought my C 280 brandnew all cash. I am sure if I had those privileages such as financing or leasing, I would go for a S600 or a CL 600. well in suv catagory , I would only consider G class. But after paying 40k tuition everyyear to my school. It wasnt easy paying another 35k on a car in cash.

if you wonder what I drive in my home country..Its a black/grey 05 CLK 200 Kompressor. I know you are gonna say thats not very elite either but if you compare prices (my clk was 70000 euro=100000usd)you can imagine what I could buy here in the US.
Old 12-17-2005, 12:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
a toy
I have a 98 Grand Cherokee, which has been a very reliable car considering I drive it like a sports car. It's very practicle and actually fun, and this new Jeep is all that plus more engineering and power. Now on the other hand, this car will be worth 1/2 its value in the first 2 years
Old 12-17-2005, 01:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2003 CLK55
I saw an add for this Jeep in the recent Car and Driver. Did anyone else notice how much the rims on this jeep look like the CLS55 rims?

I also don't really car for the behind on this jeep. I think the front end looks great.
Old 12-17-2005, 04:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

300ce
Originally Posted by Roupin
I have a 98 Grand Cherokee, which has been a very reliable car considering I drive it like a sports car. It's very practicle and actually fun, and this new Jeep is all that plus more engineering and power. Now on the other hand, this car will be worth 1/2 its value in the first 2 years

............you are probably right, but have you looked into the drop in value of AMG cars? There are SL65's selling for $129K already. I bought a W210E55 this year for $27K out the door. Car was about $80K when new. The truth is that whatever car you buy, you are going to get raped when you try to sell it later. But your comment brings up an interesting idea.......one can simply wait a bit and buy the Grand Cherokee SRT8 in one year for half price. That will be $19K for an SUV that does 0-60 in 4.9 secs. Now that is a bargain! If you spend another couple of thousand to mod it, you will have your self an ML63 beater for 1/4 the price.

Ted
Old 12-17-2005, 06:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

95 Audi urS6 Quattro
Originally Posted by Ted Baldwin
............you are probably right, but have you looked into the drop in value of AMG cars? There are SL65's selling for $129K already. I bought a W210E55 this year for $27K out the door. Car was about $80K when new. The truth is that whatever car you buy, you are going to get raped when you try to sell it later. But your comment brings up an interesting idea.......one can simply wait a bit and buy the Grand Cherokee SRT8 in one year for half price. That will be $19K for an SUV that does 0-60 in 4.9 secs. Now that is a bargain! If you spend another couple of thousand to mod it, you will have your self an ML63 beater for 1/4 the price.

Ted
Thats what I am hoping that will happen to the ML63, only way we're buying one..
Old 12-17-2005, 07:32 PM
ON PROBATION

Originally Posted by Ted Baldwin

Ted
Ted, don't take this the wrong way -- but 0-60 times (and price) are not all that a car is. There is no way in hell that one could favorably compare a Jeep to an ML63! Any Mercedes, and certainly a 2006 ML, is one heck of alot more car than a Jeep! If all we cared about was price and acceleration, we'd all be ricers with hopped-up Japanese cars...and not members of an AMG forum!
Old 12-18-2005, 01:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

95 Audi urS6 Quattro
Originally Posted by ClayJ
Ted, don't take this the wrong way -- but 0-60 times (and price) are not all that a car is. There is no way in hell that one could favorably compare a Jeep to an ML63! Any Mercedes, and certainly a 2006 ML, is one heck of alot more car than a Jeep! If all we cared about was price and acceleration, we'd all be ricers with hopped-up Japanese cars...and not members of an AMG forum!
I test drove a mid range Jeep Cherokee, an 05, and it doesnt compare at all to my ML55 ( and Im not talking performance wise ). Even though they were similarly equipped, when you sit in my ML, it is like a whole another car. Same will be true with this SRT8 and the ML63, the ML completely outclasses the Cherokee.
Old 12-18-2005, 09:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

300ce
Originally Posted by ClayJ
.........not all suggesting that the Grand Cherokee is a better car. My point is that the disadvantages used to condemn these other cars also apply to pour AMG cars. But we don't acknowledge it. Our inability to admit anything good about other cars makes us look, not just arrogant but uninformed. Other car companies are building some really nice machines and at half the price, you can get something a true car guy will appreciate. Its like a guy that says he loves movies and when you ask him what movies does he like he names just one. Anyone on this forum that claims he/she loves cars should sit down and ask himself/herself what other cars they like. If you can't name another car, then you are not a car guy. Gospel! I don't own a Jeep and don't plan to buy one but as I read the press reports of the new Jeep, I am impressed. I love cars.........Including Toyota Supra's with engines so strong that they can withstand mods over 1000HP. They STI's are another group of cars I admire. Heck, even the old 1960's Chevy's with big block engines. I guess I don't understand how these cars don't juice you guys up. Talking about Japanes cars, when the NSX came out in the early 90's I remember I used to purposely walk few additional blocks from my house to wait for the bus at this intersection next to which an NSX was always parked.

Ted
Old 12-18-2005, 11:26 AM

I dont love cars..I only love Mercedes Benz'

Now feeling any better?

just joking :P
Old 12-18-2005, 12:07 PM
ON PROBATION

Ted-
There ya go...I agree with you completely about admiring good engineering, mechanicals, and build in a car -- whatever the make.
The problem I find continually with American carmakers is that (I suppose) to keep the price down they throw a great engine into an arguably POS car, and then brag about its performance. What about safety? What about comfort? What about functionality? What about reliability? To me, paying 'only' 30 grand for a POS is not a 'deal'! I'd rather pay another 30 grand and get my money's worth.... Chrysler, Ford, and Dodge have gotten into this kick lately of dropping an arguably hot motor into a car of which the rest of it is a POS --and I as a car enthusiast resent that...they could do SO much better. Now that they've lost 40 to 50% of their sales on their truck-chassis high-profit vehicles they're going to have to ....
Old 12-18-2005, 12:47 PM

14 'E550
The new WK Grand Cherokee is far from a POS, the model was introduced in 2005 and has had very moderate launch issues compared to other makes (at the worst a few reported lemon law vehicles).

I've driven them plenty and its a fine SUV, the car rags really like it as well (has received more or less high marks across the board).

Also, the ML63 will be just about double the price of the SRT8.......I would hope to think its a better vehicle.

Have you read The Car Connection review on the SRT8 GC? They loved it.

You have to give credit, where credit is due.

CC Review
Old 12-18-2005, 02:04 PM

2005 Porsche Cayenne Turbo
Ted is DEAD-ON here.....you ML guys seem like your pretty lost.....personally my family has owned a 84 Jeep Cherokee Chief (lasted until 1996 with 170K miles) a 99 Jeep Grand Cherokee (my 1st car) a 02 GC Overland and an 05 GC 5.7L Hemi.....All vehicles NEVER had 1 problem mechanical or electrical........All GC's before 05 had ride issues with "bounceyness" and minor wheel corrections constantly being needed.....but for 20-30K its not sopposed to drive like the ML (which the older ones dont) However the 05 is a whole new story.....this truck drives 10000X better than the prevous models....and far from a POS.....not to mention the looks seem to be improving along with the interiors.....why you ask ...B/C of Mercedes.....they are turning the Jeep line around with rugged trucks (wranlger rubicon) and refined SUV's (05GC) and now faster SUV's (SRT8). Now you guys call yourself true AMG'ers......dont you think its of your concern when this POS jeep is FASTER than your ML's ....i would think soo.....especially when you pull up to one at a stoplight and get smoked!! Now.....i must say the design of the ML is getting better but far from tolerable.....the older ML's really look like minivans....especially from the back!! and mostly driven by soccer moms.......the newer models definatly have a better look....but really only on the higher end models with the aluminum trim on the bumpers and AMG products.....the regular 350 still looks like a minivan.....Dont get me wrong....i was planning on buying an ML55.....until they dropped the Cayenne Turbo.....but the ML class still have a long way to go.....especially in price with all the other alternatives......
Old 12-18-2005, 02:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
03 C32 AMG
Wow this is interesting, ML guys getting defensive about a post about a Jeep. Im as much a german car fan as the next guy, but come on, get a grip. The W163 ML has been an embarassment for MB as a company - the poster child for the decline in quality that occurred in the late 90s. Why do you think they went to such great lengths to market the new ML as completely redesigned? This isnt so much true for the AMG line as it was for the ML 320/430s, but to some extent i think it remains the case.
My mother has a 2000 ML430, its not a horrible car, but its not up to MB standards if you ask me (i begged them to buy an X5 or Range Rover). Honestly, im not trying to offend anyone, but i think the ML is not anywhere near where i needs to be to match up with the rest of the MB line. The new one is an improvement but its still not quite there.
Old 12-19-2005, 01:36 PM
ON PROBATION

Got this same thing going on in the E55 forum with the new Chrysler/Dodge SRT8 wagon (vs.E55T)! I'll make the same comment: this is the MBWorld AMG ML Forum---that's why we're all here....
New technology, new cars? Good for a brief discussion....but WE want to talk about MBZ. and AMG products! Please!
MBZ Unimog is still the king of all four-wheelers. The G55 has been the crown prince (except for a brief affair by the Hummer H1). 4-Matic does a decent job of turning RWD sedans into AWD pavement pacers.
The old ML came out in what, 1998? MBZ has now come out with a new platform, new technologies, new mechanicals, new features, new interior space with the ML, R, and GL. I am sure that they will all be great. Let's talk about the ML and NOT a friggin' Jeep! If I wanted to discuss the new Jeep ad naseum, I would go to a differrent forum to do so.....
Old 12-19-2005, 02:56 PM

How on earth can one compare MBz to Jeeps?

If you can afford more than 40k(this applies to all sort of cars), MB is the way to GO. you dont have to think any further.

Technology? any of you seen last years MB brochure? All cars on roads are MB. meaning in all cars there is at least one or more MB invention in them such as airbags, abs, srs, esp etc...

Class? whats more classy than a MB? I have seen half of the world. wherever you go, MB is the symbol of prestigie, elite.

Reliability? an MB can easly make 500k kilometers, a well taken cared MB can do 1M kilometers. I have seen many 20-30 years old benz over 500k miles. they are still working perfectly.

Luxuary? what other car massages your back while driving? lol

Performance? How many car makers have cars racing in F1?
DO you guys think one can achieve a great performance car without ever competing in a major league? Mb is competing in number of catagory of races including F1 (Mclaren -MB) years of experience, I am sure Mb can reflect this on its cars.

OFF-road performance? Mb differentials and engines are used on many other brands, mostly asian brands. G class has been the bencmark of the off roaders. Better than Hummer or anyother in most aspects. Hummer beats G class in only side-incline surface angel(because of its width)

I am not trying to offend anyone or make one believe they are all true for all.
just my facts and I believe good reasons to belive MB is the way to go for all types. No other car maker have all of them together.
Old 12-19-2005, 03:02 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Heh, replace MB with Toyota in all your points except the only one that doesn't make the car move.. class.

But of course class is dependent on the owner, not the car.
Old 12-19-2005, 03:22 PM
ON PROBATION

Ricky - for the most part. But safety is a big deal for those of us who are happily retired and want to remain happily retired (does Ferrari make a wheel chair?) -- and I think that MB cars across-the-board are heads above most other makes...including Toyota.
It is the whole package.... Perhaps because MB makes and sells so many vehicles all over the world they have the money to keep investing in, and producing cars with, the latest technology in so many different areas -- I don't think any other current manufacturer can even begin to compare to MB's innovation and use of technology in their cars.....
Old 12-19-2005, 03:39 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
I bet you could get a Ferrari branded wheel chair for a few thousand dollars...

Actually I'd think that with the profit margins slimming down and what not, companies like Toyota and BMW (the ones expanding..) are the ones making massive new innovations.

Maybe it's just me.. (and I really think it is) but I can't think of a single technology which Mercedes has introduced that another company doesn't have, but I can think of many other technologies that Mercedes' has yet to introduce.. yet.

You know what would rock? The sporty-ability of a BMW + The class / heritage of a Mercedes + the reliability of a Lexus / engineering of a Lexus + the ergonomics (sp?) of an Audi + the exhaust tone of a Ferrari..
Old 12-19-2005, 03:59 PM
ON PROBATION

You know, they're all sharing so much technology (and actual parts, motors, and even chassis) these days that to some degree we are heading there. I do think that this is one of the best times for enthusiasts (and really just regular 'consumers' too) in the history of automaking. Can you believe how many supercar makers there are out there now?!!!!!
Globalization has hurt the consumer and the worker in some cases...but I think globalization is doing wonders for the current state of the automobile -- they're all nicer, safer, more featured -- they even all last longer! Remember when it was a rare car that wouldn't be a POS, or junked, at 100K miles? Look at what Honda (and now Toyota?) has done for the Koreans! Amazing times we live in (if you've lived long enough to have some perspective on the industry)!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8 420HP Hemi 6.1