ML55 AMG, ML63 AMG (W163, W164) 1999 - 2011 Two Generations

Swapping out running boards...ML63

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-10-2006, 08:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ML63
Swapping out running boards...ML63

Mercedes wants you to bring the car in to dealer inbetween 1000 and 3000 miles....Just turned 1000 on mine....IMO the running boards are pure tack on, not needed at all, a hinderance if anything....Anyone know of an aftermarket rocker that will bolt in place or can they just be removed and look like ml500/350...bringing the car in within 10 days and want those rockers away!!!
Old 10-10-2006, 05:12 PM

'08 CL63
Originally Posted by MSDLTD
Mercedes wants you to bring the car in to dealer inbetween 1000 and 3000 miles....Just turned 1000 on mine....IMO the running boards are pure tack on, not needed at all, a hinderance if anything....Anyone know of an aftermarket rocker that will bolt in place or can they just be removed and look like ml500/350...bringing the car in within 10 days and want those rockers away!!!

I absolutely agree about the running boards! I'm waiting for my dealer to add running boards to a stock ML 350 or 500 and they will give me the rocker panels they take off and then install them on my ML63. Of course, I will keep the running boards in my garage for when I eventually sell the vehicle.

I also had the "ML63" and "AMG" emblems removed from the back but left the 6.3 emblems on the front fenders. Looks much better in my opinion. Don't need to advertise (atleast on the back anyways).

Still REALLY enjoying my ML63!! I have almost 2,000 miles on it and have not had any problems. Had the 1,000 mile checkup done by the dealer and no faults were found. It drives much better than the CTT's I used to own. Porsche could learn a thing or two on the synchronization of the automatic transmission and the engine electronics from Mercedes

More updates soon.....
Old 10-11-2006, 10:43 PM

SL500 /Porsche 997S/Porsche Cayenne Turbo
Will there be any problem with new rocker panels and the tack on fender flares? ML350's and ML500's don't have the fender flares.

Phil
Old 10-11-2006, 10:53 PM

'08 CL63
Originally Posted by PhilS
Will there be any problem with new rocker panels and the tack on fender flares? ML350's and ML500's don't have the fender flares.

Phil

Phil, the dealer told me that the stock rocker panel will be about 1/4" in from the fender flare. My plan is to have them remove one of the running boards and install the stock rocker panel and see how it looks. I think it'll be okay and I'll post photos once the swap is complete. I'm awaiting a take off set of rocker panels from a stock ML to save the $$ of buying a new set. Shouldn't be too long I hope because I REALLY don't like the running boards.

When are you going to trade your Cayenne for an ML63? As u probably know I've owned two CTT's and this ML63 is a much better vehicle and a great attitude from the dealer too! Just had to ask
Old 10-11-2006, 11:36 PM

SL500 /Porsche 997S/Porsche Cayenne Turbo
Originally Posted by Rider1
Phil, the dealer told me that the stock rocker panel will be about 1/4" in from the fender flare. My plan is to have them remove one of the running boards and install the stock rocker panel and see how it looks. I think it'll be okay and I'll post photos once the swap is complete. I'm awaiting a take off set of rocker panels from a stock ML to save the $$ of buying a new set. Shouldn't be too long I hope because I REALLY don't like the running boards.

When are you going to trade your Cayenne for an ML63? As u probably know I've owned two CTT's and this ML63 is a much better vehicle and a great attitude from the dealer too! Just had to ask
I am very happy with my CTT. I had a deposit at my local MB dealership for an ML63 for over a year. When I saw it in person I decided I would pass. I am not crazy about tacked on fender flares and the running boards. I just like the image the Porsche projects over the image of the ML. I may be shallow, but that is my feeling. I haven't driven the ML63 so I can't directly compare the two. The M63 is a brand new design and the Cayenne first came out in 2003. They will probably go back and forth in out performing each other during their lives. The facelifted Cayenne Turbo that is due out in February is rumored to have 500 HP. What will the Turbo S have, 550 HP? Further rumors have said that the facelifted Cayenne might be slightly less heavy. That would make a heck of a difference.

And lastly, I have been following the ML forums for well over a year. There sure seems to have been a lot of problems with the ML 350's and ML 500's. Over at the Cayenne forum a potential buyer asked the forum members about their experiences.......the majority reported NO problems over the term of their ownership. The 2003/2004 Cayenne models had some problems. 2005 and beyond seem to be relatively trouble free. The ML's have had problems since they were introduced continuing into the 2006 model year. Neither my Cayenne or Carrera have ever been to the dealership for a repair.

Phil
Old 10-13-2006, 10:36 AM

ML63
Originally Posted by Rider1

Do show us pics when you remove the boards