Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-15-2006, 11:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2003 CLK55
Originally Posted by Rider1
True, and tire design. Maybe drive a little slower
True...I was driving too fast for the conditions.
Old 10-16-2006, 11:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Some tire places have a machine that will add sipes to yours tires (http://kaltire.com/retail/services/siping.php). This can improve your grip. However, it can also increase tire noise (traps more air) and may affect your warranty. I am not sure about the stock ML tires. Anyways, its cheap ($25 per tire) and makes a noticeable difference with grip on slippery surfaces.
Old 10-16-2006, 11:14 AM

ML63
ALL tires will Hydroplane at a select speed.......Period!
Old 10-16-2006, 11:18 AM

I don't know what you guys are talking about, I just drove with a friend into work in his ML63, and he drives fast and quick lane switches - its flooding in Houston right now, with VERY bad rain, and we were doing 90mph on the highway flinging in between cars and lanes, and we didn't have any problems...

Think you guys complaining should attend a driving school
Old 10-16-2006, 11:42 AM

ML63
Originally Posted by Mrdredd
I don't know what you guys are talking about, I just drove with a friend into work in his ML63, and he drives fast and quick lane switches - its flooding in Houston right now, with VERY bad rain, and we were doing 90mph on the highway flinging in between cars and lanes, and we didn't have any problems...

I am not talking RAIN...I am talking ponded water on highway...

It a fact of Physics, not my opinion....all cars will Hydroplane at speed on ponding.....unless of course you have razor blades for wheels.
My discussion is the wider a tire the less speed is required to HP
Old 10-16-2006, 11:51 AM

'08 CL63
If I remember correctly to calculate hydroplane speed you take the square root of the tire pressure and multiply that by 9 . i.e.: our tires are 36psi, so take 6 X 9 = 54 mph would be the hydroplane speed.

Also, it finally rained here in Las Vegas and I didn't notice anything unusual about handling in the rain. I'm used to a CTT and it felt the same with the usual large amount of water spraying up on the windshield after going thru standing water.
Old 10-17-2006, 12:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2003 CLK55
Originally Posted by Mrdredd

I hit a big puddle going fast....it wasn't just rain. I admit I was driving too fast for the conditions. The ML isn't bad in the rain....it just sucks when I hit big puddles going fast. LOL
Old 10-17-2006, 10:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

95 Audi urS6 Quattro
Yeah the ML loves to hydroplane, Those 285's really help it along..
Old 10-22-2006, 03:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

02 E55
all cars will hydroplane. it depends on LOT'S of factors though.
We have a very bad piece of highway in CO (hwy 6 around Colo Mills mall)
cars flip on that stretch all the time in the rain, last time I drove there in the rain I couldn't get over 40 in Murano, and there were 2 suvs on their roofs on the other side.
If you see puddle - slow down, no matter what you drive or how many wheels are being driven - when they don't touch the ground it doesn’t matter if it's awd or swd...although awd helps a lot before actual "take off".

You may consider some rain tires. I very much doubt that Mercedes and AMG didn't test it for wet traction...

ps. MSDLTD - how can you afford ML63 and make so many spelling mistakes at the same time ? ;-)
Old 10-23-2006, 08:53 AM

ML63
ps. MSDLTD - how can you afford ML63 and make so many spelling mistakes at the same time ? ;-)[/QUOTE]

I am an Artist by trade, My Art has helped me achieve my 10th Ferrari in the past 20 years.....

i notice by your profile you deal in Drugs and Gambling Referrals...
Sorry if I offended your decent nature.

Nothing good to say/Say nothing at all!

Last edited by MSDLTD; 10-23-2006 at 09:59 AM.
Old 10-24-2006, 12:58 AM

'08 CL63
I didn't see any spelling "mistakes" at all MSDLTD. Keep up the good work !! And congratulations on your 10th Ferrari !!!!

Dave
Old 10-29-2006, 02:57 PM
Almost a Member!

I have not run into any HP issues at all in my ML63.
The traction control seems to do a good job when I hit ruts of water and smaller bodies of water on the road.

I owned a Range Rover Sport SC before my ML63 and I have to say hands up the ML63 does alot better than the RR, and the RR is marketed as more of a rugged car.

I would expect that any car or tire however would HP if you run all 4 tires into a "pond" of water.

One thing that I find funny about the ML63 is the HUGE "stray" that it leaves behind it when driving on the highway in the rain. I think that it kicks up more rain and water of the road than a 18 wheeler does.
Old 10-29-2006, 02:58 PM
Almost a Member!

why are people complaining about "spelling" on this board anyway?
Its not think this is a "formal" setting or something where we are graded on grammer. Jez..
Old 10-30-2006, 12:55 AM

2016 CLA250 4matic
Exclamation

The speed at which a tire hydroplanes is a function of water depth, vehicle speed, vehicle weight, tire width, tread depth and tread design. It depends on how much water has to be removed, how much weight is pressing down on the tires and how efficient the tread design is at evacuating water. While deeper water, higher speeds, lighter vehicles, wider tires, less tread depth and less efficient tread designs will cause tires to hydroplane at lower speeds; all tires will be forced to hydroplane at some speed.

As a rule, tread design affects hydroplaning resistance at high speeds and in deep water
Old 10-30-2006, 04:04 AM

MBs
Originally Posted by myML350
As a rule, tread design affects hydroplaning resistance at high speeds and in deep water
Conti put up some animation how water shoots through the profile of their new winter tire, the CrossContactWinter:

http://www.conti-online.com/generato...etails_en.html

Also, the Nasa hydroplaning movies have been around for some trime:

http://lisar.larc.nasa.gov/BROWSE/hydroplaning.html