ML55 AMG, ML63 AMG (W163, W164) 1999 - 2011 Two Generations

Dead Battery

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-30-2006, 10:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'08 CL63
Dead Battery

After leaving my ML63 sit in a garage for 5 days I went to start it and .... no go.... dead/very very low battery.

Jump started it with no problems.

Reason for dead/low low battery: I left the key (keyless go) on top of the front left tire so apparently because the key was close to the vehicle it runs the vehicle battery down slowly. I had heard that this could happen from a friend of mine who has an S550 so I looked thru my owner's manual and couldn't find any warning of the sort so I thought it wouldn't happen to the ML. Wrong! I asked the dealer's service writer and he wasn't aware of it...although I didn't ask a service tech.

So bottom line is don't leave your key (if you have keyless go) in close proximity to your vehicle for a long period of time or......quite possibly you'll have a dead/low low battery.

Dave
Old 12-03-2006, 10:33 PM

Keyless go...

Yes, its true. Numerous times ive come into work in the morning and the car i had been working on the night before was stone dead. The key wasn't in the car(s) but on my toolbox a couple feet away. The distance varies from car to car but its safe to say about 30ft away is a safe point.
Old 12-04-2006, 10:22 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
ML 63
Wait... so even if the car is totally off you can't leave the key in the car? On my BMW with keyless you can leave the key in the car with no problems.

that sucks.
Old 12-05-2006, 10:10 AM

'08 CL63
Originally Posted by Fuzz
Wait... so even if the car is totally off you can't leave the key in the car? On my BMW with keyless you can leave the key in the car with no problems.

that sucks.
From what I've heard from other MBZ owners with keyless go is that you CAN leave the key in the car without car battery problems. But just don't leave it OUTSIDE the car within 20' or so like I did. To recap: inside the car okay outside within about 20' not okay.

Dave
Old 12-05-2006, 02:27 PM

WTF?!? That makes perfect sense.