C6 kill!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-01-2007, 05:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLS55 AMG
Originally Posted by Thericker
Excellent post Impro! I still find it odd how the described race goes into detail though about pulling said C6 at 90-100....The C6 would have had to cuaght up at 90 then somehow chocked?
Well, road tests for each show that these things are somewhere between a half second to a whole second apart in the 1/4, depending upon which two tests you compare, so let's say they were 0.7 apart just for this example.

So if C6 lost around 1.5 seconds between time AMG punched it, flew by, he reacted, shifted or stomped, car reacted, etc., he'd still be several lengths behind at the end of the 1/4...

Also, by 90 or so they'd be getting close enough to the merge that he may have let off by then, realizing that he wasn't going to close it in time, or for that matter out of a sense of self-preservation, realizing that in a collision between him and the ML, well, that's definitely one he *wouldn't* be winning!
Old 01-01-2007, 05:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
V12-Biturbo
Originally Posted by Improviz
Well, road tests for each show that these things are somewhere between a half second to a whole second apart in the 1/4, depending upon which two tests you compare, so let's say they were 0.7 apart just for this example.

So if C6 lost around 1.5 seconds between time AMG punched it, flew by, he reacted, shifted or stomped, car reacted, etc., he'd still be several lengths behind at the end of the 1/4...

Also, by 90 or so they'd be getting close enough to the merge that he may have let off by then, realizing that he wasn't going to close it in time, or for that matter out of a sense of self-preservation, realizing that in a collision between him and the ML, well, that's definitely one he *wouldn't* be winning!
Yeah I didn't think of that "Self preservation part" once again excellent rationaliztion
Old 01-01-2007, 05:37 PM

'08 CL63
Without causing any trouble .... what does "thericker" avatar mean?

Mine (Rider1) is my chocolate lab's dog's name...Rider....and he's number one with me. He's in the avatar picture.

Dave
Old 01-01-2007, 06:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

V12-Biturbo
Originally Posted by Rider1
Without causing any trouble .... what does "thericker" avatar mean?

Mine (Rider1) is my chocolate lab's dog's name...Rider....and he's number one with me. He's in the avatar picture.

Dave
It's a "Nick name" I used to be called when I was younger..
Old 01-03-2007, 06:03 AM
Almost a Member!

slk55 and c6 should be very close race... ml63 got 500 hp...corvette maybe faster from 0-100 but ml63 maybe faster from 100 to 150..just maybe due to the big power.. by the way...easy guys....ml63 win or c6 win are both ok.......ml63 got more power but more weight...c6 are more sports car,lighter.. maybe better power to weight... both has chance to win(stock)

btw ml63 got faster 0-200km time than slk55....check on google...
Old 01-03-2007, 08:45 AM

AMG ML63, M3 CSL, Z4M Coupe, New Audi TT, Audi R8 (coming)
It's all very interesting trying to post-rationalise eagleeye's story, but none of us will really know what happened since we weren't there.

There was a subtext within the story that (a) the ML63 was surprisingly fast and (b) not 'just' fast in SUV-terms.

Another hypothesis is that the surface could have been slippery/poor as the story below illustrates rather well...

Those of you with access to this week's Autocar might be interested in a story that involved the ML63. Last year a record was set for how fast a car could accelerate indoors. A Toyota F1 car was used and it reached 81 mph in a 384m indoor arena.

Autocar decided to see how close other cars could reach to this record and if any could beat it. This time they 'only' had use of a hall that was 220m long.

Cars assembled included Jaguar XKR, BMW M Coupe, Aston V8 Vantage, Shelby Daytona, Ford GT, Audi RS4 plus several lightweight sportscars and a few race cars.

Out of the road cars the ML63 came 3rd. Ahead of the RS4, and the Ford GT and the Jag, Aston, Shelby etc. It recorded a speed of 72.28mph and a 0-60 time of 4.62 secs. The surface wasn't great hence the slower times by the Ford GT and Shelby Cobra, but the RS4 seemed to find full traction and that only recorded 4.92 secs to 60mph.

To quote Autocar; "And with its super-fast shifting auto gearbox it was even faster than the RS4 inside the NEC. Look at the 0-60mph time: that's absolutely outrageous for such an enormous machine. Put it another way, this is an off-roader that could live with a Ford GT in a traffic light GP in the dry. And eat it for breakfast if it was wet."

Clearly the test was something of a gimmick, since the surface was so inappropriate for a proper comparison, but it illustrates the relative potential in less than ideal conditions. I bet it sounded pretty good (indoors) too.

Last edited by DoctorD; 01-03-2007 at 09:54 AM.
Old 01-03-2007, 11:48 AM

Whatever I feel like
Have you ever seen an ML63 actually tested in a standing-start km in 23 seconds flat?

Because, frankly, with 500 horsepower and weighing in at 5,000 pounds, well, that's a 10 pound per horsepower burden for the motor, which means it is a low-to-mid 13 second 1/4 mile car, which is exactly what we see in the road test data, including this test from Edmunds.com:
http://www.edmunds.com/new/2007/merc...ticleId=118931

0-60: 4.7
1/4: 13.3 @ 105.6

Now, this is about 7 to 10 mph off of the C6s I've seen tested, a pretty big margin. If Car A is pulling 7 to 10 mph faster than Car B at the end of a distance, it's kind of a stretch to project that Car B is going to be ahead, pulling away. Because, of course, it won't be.

The fact is that without exception, all of the publications cited in this thread have tested the C6 at a substantially higher 1/4 mile trap speed than the ML. If as you maintain the two accelerate at the same rate, it is flat-out impossible for the scientifically conducted tests from all of these publications to point in the opposite direction. If the ML were accelerating at an equal or faster rate, its trap would be measured at an equal or faster speed.

A well-driven C6 will win in a straightline race.

Having said all of that, the race, as described, is entirely possible. As described was:

1) vehicles round corner.

2) vette starts accelerating, certainly not at full throttle, to hit merge first. 'vette owner is probably exhibiting a tad bit of hubris here, thinking he doesn't need full throttle here, not knowing what he's up against.

3) ML owner jumps to full throttle. since 'vette owner is not at full throttle, ML blasts by.

4) C6 owner is shocked to find that this SUV has some serious grunt, then has to react, then has to take action: either by flooring it, with accompanying pause for downshift (if car is auto), or downshifting it and flooring it (if manual). Combined, this would chew up at least good second or so. Meanwhile, the ML is pulling away, hard.

5) C6 gets in gear and hits full throttle. Too late. With a huge head start, he can't close in that distance, would probably need closer to a full half mile to close distance lost by ML's head start.

And this assumes the C6 driver did everything perfectly once he got on it. If not, this would hurt him even more.

Perfectly plausible.
Good post. The ML63 is plenty fast to beat an unsuspecting C6 vette in a short race.
Old 01-03-2007, 06:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

mymbonline
Originally Posted by hekeke
corvette maybe faster from 0-100 but ml63 maybe faster from 100 to 150..just maybe due to the big power...
youre forgetting drag, ive taken a ml55 to 140+ and it takes a looooooong time.

it was full of fishing gear, 4 people on board and the elevation of more than 3500 ft or so didnt help
Old 01-04-2007, 12:29 PM

AMG ML63, M3 CSL, Z4M Coupe, New Audi TT, Audi R8 (coming)
Originally Posted by AMG_55

it was full of fishing gear, 4 people on board and the elevation of more than 3500 ft or so didnt help
The ML63 will not be Corvette quick above 120mph, but don't make the mistake of comparing the ML63 with the ML55.

There is no discernable slowing down of accelerating in the ML63 until well beyond 150mph, in fact it will accelerate from zero until the speed limiter intervenes in less than 35 seconds.
Old 01-05-2007, 01:42 PM

05 c55
This thread sucks.
Old 01-05-2007, 01:54 PM
Banned

Cobra/E55
VERY nice kill!!! I bet you surprised him.. lol
Old 01-10-2007, 12:23 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by acicchelli
Good post. The ML63 is plenty fast to beat an unsuspecting C6 vette in a short race.
It seems that delusions are contagious.
Old 01-10-2007, 01:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS55 AMG
Originally Posted by TT C6
It seems that delusions are contagious.
Perhaps a bit of simple subtraction might be of assistance.

Assume both cars are driven absolutely perfectly. If Car "V" is from about 0.5 to 0.7 seconds faster to the 1/4 mile than Car "M", then if the two vehicles are driven by perfect humans with zero second reaction times who do not make mistakes and leave the starting line at exactly the same time, then Car "V" will win.

HOWEVER, if Car "V" leaves the starting line a full second *after* Car "M", then at the end of the 1/4 mile, simple subtraction tells you that Car "M" will be 0.3 to 0.5 seconds ahead, because of the spot:

So, for example, if Car V runs a 12.7 and Car M runs a 13.3, but Car V leaves at 1.0 seconds, Car V's *total time* to run 1/4 would be 12.7 + 1.0 = 13.7, 0.4 seconds behind Car M. Which is why with good reaction time, you can beat a driver in a faster car in a short race.

And that is what is being described here, except that a human being with unknown reaction time and driving skills was piloting the Corvette. I covered all of this here:
https://mbworld.org/forums/showpost....0&postcount=47

Absolutely nothing delusional about it.

Last edited by Improviz; 01-10-2007 at 01:44 AM.
Old 01-10-2007, 01:49 AM

Enzo
2006 Marine Blue Cayenne Turbo S
2004 Yellow Porsche 911 Turbo Cabriolet
2007 Black ML63 Amg
2006 Lime Green Gallardo Egear
2004 Black SL600 Sport Renntech Upgrades
2005 Silver Infiniti FX45 (sold)
2005 Red Murcielago Egear (sold)
2004 Black Porsche Cayenne Turbo (sold)
2005 Red SRT-10 Viper (sold)
2005 Stealth Gray CTS-V (sold)
2005 Black Infiniti FX45 (sold)
2005 Black BMW Z4 (sold)
----------------------------------------------------------------------
<H3>LIAR!!!!!
Old 01-10-2007, 03:59 PM
Banned

Ok then.
A minivan can take a twin turbo viper if the viper doesn't know he is racing the minivan.

If I knock out a professional fighter that isn't expecting a punch while he's walking down the street;
it doesn't mean SQUAT!

Now if I posted on the internet about knocking the pro fighter out,
it would be assumed that I was claiming a victory.
I'd be willing to bet that the same pro-fighter would eventually find me and give me a reality check.

That's what I'm doing here.
Giving you guys a reality check.

(Without the pain or the hospital bills.)

Perhaps a bit of simple subtraction might be of assistance.

Assume both cars are driven absolutely perfectly. If Car "V" is from about 0.5 to 0.7 seconds faster to the 1/4 mile than Car "M", then if the two vehicles are driven by perfect humans with zero second reaction times who do not make mistakes and leave the starting line at exactly the same time, then Car "V" will win.

HOWEVER, if Car "V" leaves the starting line a full second *after* Car "M", then at the end of the 1/4 mile, simple subtraction tells you that Car "M" will be 0.3 to 0.5 seconds ahead, because of the spot:

So, for example, if Car V runs a 12.7 and Car M runs a 13.3, but Car V leaves at 1.0 seconds, Car V's *total time* to run 1/4 would be 12.7 + 1.0 = 13.7, 0.4 seconds behind Car M. Which is why with good reaction time, you can beat a driver in a faster car in a short race.

And that is what is being described here, except that a human being with unknown reaction time and driving skills was piloting the Corvette. I covered all of this here:
https://mbworld.org/forums/showpost....0&postcount=47

Absolutely nothing delusional about it.
Old 01-10-2007, 04:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I remember that, But dont compare the 55 with the 63, thats apples and oranges
Old 01-10-2007, 04:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS55 AMG
Ok then.
A minivan can take a twin turbo viper if the viper doesn't know he is racing the minivan.
Poor, and false, analogy. You've seen the test numbers for ML63's, friend, and they're running low 13's. 'vette's are testing in the mid-to-high 12's.

That's less than one second of difference. Know any minivans which run within a second of a Viper??

And don't you think it's just kinda, sorta impressive that a 5,000+ pound SUV is within a second or so of a Corvette? To me, that's impressive.

If I knock out a professional fighter that isn't expecting a punch while he's walking down the street;
it doesn't mean SQUAT!
Another poor analogy. The ML got on it, the 'vette got on it, i.e. the 'vette was fighting. And a win is a win. If I go to a strip, line up against a Viper, he blows his launch and runs a 13.6 @ 113 to my 13.2 @ 106, ya know what?

He lost the race, and it's me who'll be going home with the trophy.

I'd be willing to bet that the same pro-fighter would eventually find me and give me a reality check.

Not really. Reality is the ML won. Your ego can't handle the reality, and so are trying to ruin it for people with silly false analogies. If you race a faster car and you win, you win. Happens all the time. Doesn't change the fact that the C6 is faster (as I wrote in the post that I linked you to and that you obviously didn't bother to read), any more than your silly tirade changes the outcome of this encounter.
Old 01-10-2007, 06:32 PM

'08 CL63
Couldn't have said it better myself Improviz!

Great Job!

Dave
Old 01-10-2007, 07:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

V12-Biturbo
Ok then.

it doesn't mean SQUAT!

Great post!......Although Impro also has some good points....Your post mirorrs what goes on here daily, guys claiming victory over a known faster car, then we fight about the why? how? etc...

Most of the time I think the rational is to believe most these posts as truth, when we all know a lot of these guys exaggerate highly (hell we all do in certain situations, when your racing your amped! blood pressures up, mind is going a million miles a sec, doing multiple things at once, ie..racing, at dangerous speeds, checking rearviews if your the one winning etc..)

When in reality the Vette or ML could've never met up the way it was described, or Vette (or any car for that matter) could've had some catastrophic failure during the race, or could've seen some cop, or other danger a head and let off the gas, how many times have you seen a news report on TV and nearly all witnesses have a similar yet totally different view of what happened?

My point boils down to this, when anyone races a known faster vehicle, instead of posting "I just smoked the latest so n' so" why not put the disclaimer that some rational posters use..."I just raced and beat a faster car, he obviously couldn't drive, but still it was so much fun to catch him asleep at the wheel"

Flame on
Old 01-10-2007, 07:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS55 AMG
Well....

.....the thing is that not all drivers are magazine/track hounds, and therefore might not actually *know* that in a straightup encounter with no errors by either driver, the C6 is faster

So, for all we know the guy who posted this didn't realize this, didn't take reaction time, etc. into account; who knows?

I can promise you, though, that if two cars are within 0.5 or so of each other, it is *always* a drivers' race, and people can, and do, make mistakes!! I've got enough kills (or, sorry, "victories" if you prefer) of faster cars underneath my belt to verify this!!
Old 01-10-2007, 07:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

V12-Biturbo
.....the thing is that not all drivers are magazine/track hounds, and therefore might not actually *know* that in a straightup encounter with no errors by either driver, the C6 is faster

So, for all we know the guy who posted this didn't realize this, didn't take reaction time, etc. into account; who knows?

I can promise you, though, that if two cars are within 0.5 or so of each other, it is *always* a drivers' race, and people can, and do, make mistakes!! I've got enough kills (or, sorry, "victories" if you prefer) of faster cars underneath my belt to verify this!!
Hey bro! like I said "I agree w/some of your points" and yes anything can/will happen w/cars that are a sec apart... I just think a long w/this comes the usual exaggeration value that seems to be over looked continuously, for instance if this race had been w/say a newer 211 E55k there would be a lot more outrage and expletives being tossed around..

Infact I read Amgjerry's post on how he BEAT not one but 2 E55k in his modded C32, he also put the disclaimer though, that all things being perfect for both drivers, he would've lost...Hence no one gave it a second glance or How? Why? etc..

Guys don't do that here they make it sound like victory was inevitable

Jerry's heavily modded C32 has no more power than my STOCK C6, + C6 s lighter by 300+lbs, we've already compared rwhp rwto dyno sheets on another thread...

Last edited by Thericker; 01-10-2007 at 07:51 PM.
Old 01-10-2007, 08:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

mymbonline
Originally Posted by Blue_Monster
I remember that, But dont compare the 55 with the 63, thats apples and oranges
im not comparing
just giving an example

that was fun huh?

ahhhhh, that ****er shot me
Old 01-10-2007, 08:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
im not comparing
just giving an example

that was fun huh?

ahhhhh, that ****er shot me
oops...
Old 01-10-2007, 08:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG
Originally Posted by DoctorD
It's all very interesting trying to post-rationalise eagleeye's story, but none of us will really know what happened since we weren't there.

There was a subtext within the story that (a) the ML63 was surprisingly fast and (b) not 'just' fast in SUV-terms.

Another hypothesis is that the surface could have been slippery/poor as the story below illustrates rather well...

Those of you with access to this week's Autocar might be interested in a story that involved the ML63. Last year a record was set for how fast a car could accelerate indoors. A Toyota F1 car was used and it reached 81 mph in a 384m indoor arena.

Autocar decided to see how close other cars could reach to this record and if any could beat it. This time they 'only' had use of a hall that was 220m long.

Cars assembled included Jaguar XKR, BMW M Coupe, Aston V8 Vantage, Shelby Daytona, Ford GT, Audi RS4 plus several lightweight sportscars and a few race cars.

Out of the road cars the ML63 came 3rd. Ahead of the RS4, and the Ford GT and the Jag, Aston, Shelby etc. It recorded a speed of 72.28mph and a 0-60 time of 4.62 secs. The surface wasn't great hence the slower times by the Ford GT and Shelby Cobra, but the RS4 seemed to find full traction and that only recorded 4.92 secs to 60mph.

To quote Autocar; "And with its super-fast shifting auto gearbox it was even faster than the RS4 inside the NEC. Look at the 0-60mph time: that's absolutely outrageous for such an enormous machine. Put it another way, this is an off-roader that could live with a Ford GT in a traffic light GP in the dry. And eat it for breakfast if it was wet."

Clearly the test was something of a gimmick, since the surface was so inappropriate for a proper comparison, but it illustrates the relative potential in less than ideal conditions. I bet it sounded pretty good (indoors) too.

Wow intresting do you by any chance have the article on hand and can scan it? What issue is it in? I would love to see the video of that! Or at least indoor sound of ML63!
Old 01-10-2007, 08:57 PM

Here's a part of the story. Can't wait for 1/13!

http://www.autosport-international.c...ssId=pressRe47

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: C6 kill!