ML55 AMG, ML63 AMG (W163, W164) 1999 - 2011 Two Generations

ML63: about to pull the trigger, have a few Q's...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-14-2007, 02:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
audi mb bmw
ML63: about to pull the trigger, have a few Q's...

I'm planning on picking up an 07 ML63 soon but I have a few questions that I couldn't find answers to by searching the forums:

1) What kind of oem tires did all you US owners get on your ML63? I noticed on tirerack that both the Conti Cross contact (summer only) and Pirelli Scorpion (all season M+S) are oem for the ML63. So does this mean that it's a crapshoot? Or is MBUSA wise enough to actually equip the ML63's bound for the rocky mountain, midwest, northeast, and other states in the snowbelt to have the M+S Pirellis and the Cali, Fla, etc- bound cars to have the Contis? Or do we specify the type of tires we want to the dealer? Perhaps we should have a poll on this.

2) Are the rearview camera and power open/close rear liftgate standard? I can't see them as an option on the MBUSA build-your-own site so I'm assuming they are standard on the ML63. Correct me if I'm wrong.

3) I have yet to test drive this car but will soon. However, I still won't be able to test it to an extreme that I'd like to take it to and would be appropriate when a salesperson is in the passenger seat so what should I expect? I am coming from an X5 4.8iS (E53) and still consider that as one of the best handling truck/suv's out there. While I don't expect the ML63 to be as adept, something close should suffice. I just hope the ML63 is not only fun when you mash the go pedal in a straight line but also somewhat fun when you throw it into a corner (as fun as suv's get at least).

4) How does the Logic 7 stereo sound in the ML63? I have logic 7 i n my SLK55 and it sounds average but the logic 7 in my M5 sounds absolutely incredible (best sound I've ever had in a car).

5) Am I crazy for trading in my M5 for an ML63? I basically want something more comfortable as a daily driver. I know the ML63 won't handle nearly as well as an M5 but the straight line acceleration is close enough to the M5 to suit my tastes and the 7-speed auto will be far friendlier than the M5's somewhat sloppy SMG when driven under slower sane conditions.

Thanks.

Last edited by masmole; 01-14-2007 at 03:02 PM.
Old 01-15-2007, 11:14 AM

'08 CL63
I'm planning on picking up an 07 ML63 soon but I have a few questions that I couldn't find answers to by searching the forums:

1) What kind of oem tires did all you US owners get on your ML63? I noticed on tirerack that both the Conti Cross contact (summer only) and Pirelli Scorpion (all season M+S) are oem for the ML63. So does this mean that it's a crapshoot? Or is MBUSA wise enough to actually equip the ML63's bound for the rocky mountain, midwest, northeast, and other states in the snowbelt to have the M+S Pirellis and the Cali, Fla, etc- bound cars to have the Contis? Or do we specify the type of tires we want to the dealer? Perhaps we should have a poll on this.

My ML63 came with Continental Cross Contact, 295/40/20's.

2) Are the rearview camera and power open/close rear liftgate standard? I can't see them as an option on the MBUSA build-your-own site so I'm assuming they are standard on the ML63. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Yes, the rearview camera and power liftgate come standard on the ML63.

3) I have yet to test drive this car but will soon. However, I still won't be able to test it to an extreme that I'd like to take it to and would be appropriate when a salesperson is in the passenger seat so what should I expect? I am coming from an X5 4.8iS (E53) and still consider that as one of the best handling truck/suv's out there. While I don't expect the ML63 to be as adept, something close should suffice. I just hope the ML63 is not only fun when you mash the go pedal in a straight line but also somewhat fun when you throw it into a corner (as fun as suv's get at least).

I've owned an X5, 4.4i and it rode much stiffer than the ML63. That was the main reason I sold the X5. The ML63 won't outhandle the X5 but does a very good job in the corners. I like the combination of a comfortable but firm ride while still having fun in the corners. Just don't expect it to keep up with a 545 or something like it

4) How does the Logic 7 stereo sound in the ML63? I have logic 7 i n my SLK55 and it sounds average but the logic 7 in my M5 sounds absolutely incredible (best sound I've ever had in a car).

My last vehicle had a Bose and it sounded better than the ML63 system but not by much.

5) Am I crazy for trading in my M5 for an ML63? I basically want something more comfortable as a daily driver. I know the ML63 won't handle nearly as well as an M5 but the straight line acceleration is close enough to the M5 to suit my tastes and the 7-speed auto will be far friendlier than the M5's somewhat sloppy SMG when driven under slower sane conditions.

You'll really enjoy the instant power and immediate response of the 7 speed transmission. I don't think you're "crazy" for trading because you'll still have great performance with excellent utility and good use on dirt roads.

Enjoy the ML63 and be sure and post pics and updates here!

Dave
Old 01-15-2007, 11:39 AM

audi mb bmw
Wow. Thanks for the detailed response Dave! Much appreciated.

Did anyone else here get Pirelli scorpion all-seasons on their ML63? Perhaps those who live in the snow belt?
Old 01-15-2007, 06:39 PM

2007 ML350 w/ full AMG package
Are the Pirelli Scorpion Snow and Ice tires rated all-season is the US? Here in Europe they are strictly winter tires. I have them them on my ML and they have been fantastic so far – driven them once in about 2 inches of snow and they really proved themselves....or was it the car?
Old 01-15-2007, 10:48 PM

As far as the stereo goes... The Bose in my SL500 is much better than the logic 7 in the ML63. I had it replaced. Overall I love the truck, my favorite car to date, I came from a CLS500 (disliked) and now I could not be happier.
Old 01-16-2007, 12:18 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
06 CLS55, 07 997TT, 07 ML63, 10 X6M, 11 Alpina B7, 12 997TTS, 13 G63, 13 MP4-12C
Pirelli Scorpion Zero Asimmetrico is rated as all-season here in North America, it's one of the OE tires from MB.

Pirelli Scorpion Ice & Snow however is rated as a proper winter tire and I think it's one of the tires spec-ed by MB to be on the official snow tire list.

My ML63 came with the Continental's and so is all the ML63 that I have seen so far, my salesman told me he had only seen 1 car that came with the Pirelli, the rest are all Conti's.
Old 01-16-2007, 05:06 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
ML 63
I have both an E60 M5 and now we got an ML63 to replace the wife's Ml55...

The ML is still in break in but I'll do my best to compare them...

Handleing, as expected, there is no comparison. I really think BMW nailed the steering on the E60 and the ML just does not compare. That being said, the ML steering is excellent for an SUV. It is very direct feeling (maybe a touch too many turns to lock) but overall much better than the old ML55. Again compared to the M5 you lose on grip and adjustability, but I was shocked at how throttle adjustable the ML is and how much grip it seems to have. I bet if you lowered it a little bit, the ML would feel much more planted.

Power... I never thought I would say this, but I think the ML feels faster (even though its not). Even in break-in and part throttle it just gets up and goes... and then you look down and it did it all in 6th gear... I can't wait to get on in low gears up to redline. The power is definatly more accessible and the 7-speed tranny is a gem... you can't feel it shift at all and the shift speed is very good. Ultimately the M5 is faster, but you have to work more at it... ML = Stupid Speed

Comfort... the ML is much better comfort wise... wife likes it better... but she never really complained about the M5 either... so it just depends on what you want. The suspension on the ML is a bit of a mystery... it is adjustable in stiffness like the M5, but the differences between comfort and sport are not really very noticeable, unlike the M5 which tightens up a lot in sport.

Depending on your priorities I think an M5 to ML switch makes sense... Personally I would ultimately miss the involvemet of the M5 vs the dumb speed of the Ml, but if my commute was longer (or had more stop and go freeway) I might change my mind.

I am no audiophile, but to my ear the Logic 7 in the M sounds better, but the ML is still good.

Both are great cars, but I have to admit the ML really surprised me, I did not think I would like it as much as I did.
Old 01-16-2007, 05:46 PM

audi mb bmw
Thanks for the reply Fuzz! I'm very glad to hear an ML63 perspective from a fellow E60 M5 owner. It makes a good reference point since it seems we have similar tastes in cars. I definitely don't have any illusions as to the handling limitations the ML has compared to the M5 so the only thing left more me to do is test drive one to see if it really is the acceptable compromise I think it is in sacrificing some agility for comfort and utility. As for missing the involvement of the M5 when making the switch, the RS4 should more than fill the M5's shoes in the lateral thrills department, especially since it has an old school manual tranny that promises if anything, even more involvement. I do see myself missing the V10's wail at 8k rpm and the perfectly rev-matched smg downshifts. It's a bummer that the ML's logic7 isn't up to par with the M5's logic7 though. While I'm no audiophile myself, I thought the M5's system was one of the best I've ever heard short of the $7k Bang & Olufsen system in the new S8. Perhaps the larger cabin in the ML detracts from the potential of the logic7 system that was realized in the tighter space inside the M5.
Old 01-17-2007, 10:48 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
ML 63
Go drive the ML63 if you can... or if not, maybe give an E63 a run.

If you have an RS4 (nice car by the way) you probably won't miss much of what you lose going from the M5 to the 63.

FZ
Old 01-18-2007, 06:14 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2001 BMW Z8/2007 MB ML63
I traded in a 2002 E39 M5 for my 07 ML63. I find the 63 faster in every aspect, and it also handles just about as well as the older E39. I agree that if it were just a tad lower the handling would be greatly improved. The launch of the 63 is incredible when comparing it to either my M5 or my 2001 Z8. I no longer have the M5 but I definitely think that the 63 is quicker to 60 than it was and would give the Z8 a run for the money to 60 also.