ML55 AMG, ML63 AMG (W163, W164) 1999 - 2011 Two Generations

Several Practical Questions for ML63 Owners

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-07-2007 | 11:07 PM

1961 Mercedes-Benz 190SL and 2016 BMW X5M
Several Practical Questions for ML63 Owners

As a new MBWorld forum member (as of today), at home fighting a bad cold, I have read most of the threads pertaining to the ML63 here and appreciate the collective knowledge, creativity of the members and their willingness to share information, especially brt3, AMG 55 and Blue Monster, to recognize a few...

Having thoroughly enjoyed the power and build quality of my '04 E55, I have just placed my order for an Iridium Silver/Black Nappa ML63, anticipating a summer '07 delivery in NJ. It will be replacing my '04 BMW X5 4.4i w/sport pkg. It was a very nice cruiser, but alas without the thrilling acceleration ability of the E55. (If they only had put the M5's V-10 into the new model it would have been a tougher choice for me).

In any event, I have spent a number of questions for the group that I hope you can answer for me:

1. Has any ML63 Owner installed the stealth wireless (bluetooth) K40 CALIBRE radar/laser detector/diffuser system? I am curious to know if you had the blue LED's installed inside the instrument cluster and if your system works as advertised. At this point I am planning on having this system installed once I take delivery of the vehicle.

2. I like the optional wood steering wheel. (Ok, Ok, I know...., not the pure AMG effect or practical utility....) If I order that will it be a thicker wheel, (ala AMG thickness), with the paddle shifters on the back of it or will it just be the same version available on the other ML's?

3. Will the "solar windshield" provide enough clear (non-metallic glass) area/space near the interior rearview mirror to allow my E-ZPass to be installed on the inside of the windshield and work properly?

4. What do all of you recommend to secure a couple of small bags in the rear cargo area to prevent them from sliding around during rapid acceleration and sharp turns? Cargo nets or something else?

BTW: with as many compliments I get when driving my E55, it does not compare to the "thumbs up" and "nice car" shouts when I drive my 1961 M-B 190SL with the top down. Of course, it looks like it can go much faster than it does.... (Thanks for your help and assistance)
Old 03-07-2007 | 11:46 PM

Originally Posted by AVB-AMG
As a new MBWorld forum member (as of today), at home fighting a bad cold, I have read most of the threads pertaining to the ML63 here and appreciate the collective knowledge, creativity of the members and their willingness to share information, especially brt3, AMG 55 and Blue Monster, to recognize a few...

Having thoroughly enjoyed the power and build quality of my '04 E55, I have just placed my order for an Iridium Silver/Black Nappa ML63, anticipating a summer '07 delivery in NJ. It will be replacing my '04 BMW X5 4.4i w/sport pkg. It was a very nice cruiser, but alas without the thrilling acceleration ability of the E55. (If they only had put the M5's V-10 into the new model it would have been a tougher choice for me).

In any event, I have spent a number of questions for the group that I hope you can answer for me:

1. Has any ML63 Owner installed the stealth wireless (bluetooth) K40 CALIBRE radar/laser detector/diffuser system? I am curious to know if you had the blue LED's installed inside the instrument cluster and if your system works as advertised. At this point I am planning on having this system installed once I take delivery of the vehicle.

2. I like the optional wood steering wheel. (Ok, Ok, I know...., not the pure AMG effect or practical utility....) If I order that will it be a thicker wheel, (ala AMG thickness), with the paddle shifters on the back of it or will it just be the same version available on the other ML's?

3. Will the "solar windshield" provide enough clear (non-metallic glass) area/space near the interior rearview mirror to allow my E-ZPass to be installed on the inside of the windshield and work properly?

4. What do all of you recommend to secure a couple of small bags in the rear cargo area to prevent them from sliding around during rapid acceleration and sharp turns? Cargo nets or something else?

BTW: with as many compliments I get when driving my E55, it does not compare to the "thumbs up" and "nice car" shouts when I drive my 1961 M-B 190SL with the top down. Of course, it looks like it can go much faster than it does.... (Thanks for your help and assistance)

1. No but I did put a built in passport front/rear with the laser and it works ok. Falses a little too much but save my *** already.

https://mbworld.org/forums/ml55-amg-ml63-amg-w163-w164/171168-not-squeamish.html

2. I have had wood wheels on all my MB's I don't think it is any thicker on the ML. I had a ML 350 for a loner this weekend and the leather wheel is thicker than the wood wheel. There are also small imperfections on the wood I find myself playing with all the time (no jokes please) yes you get the same paddle shifters. Non AMG have a up/down rocker on each side of the wheel. AMGs have up on the right down on the left.

3. There are three spots ez pass will work two on either side of the mirror and one closer to the dash.

4. Haven't found anything yet.

My dad just sold his mint green 1961 190SL after 25 years. FUN CAR! That is if you can get the carburetors adjusted right.
Old 03-07-2007 | 11:59 PM

'08 CL63
[QUOTE=AVB-AMG;2063055]

I tried to post a link to the Accessories section of mbusa but it didn't work. So just go to www.mbusa.com and "build your own" ML63 . Then go to "step 3, accessories" and you'll find all kinds of options.

I bought (from MBZ dealer) a cargo tray with 4 dividers that is held in place securely with velcro straps and does a great job of securing all kinds of stuff. Cost: about $100

It's been a GREAT vehicle so far...no problems except for one recall of a V Belt and tensioner. Oh and an ECU update.

Dave

Last edited by Rider1; 03-08-2007 at 12:07 AM.
Old 03-08-2007 | 02:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Welcome
First off, you made a great chioce on your next vehicle. Youve got taste, my friend

As far as the steering wheel, They are the same ones that come on the regular ML.

BTW. I definitely recommend a powerchip.
Old 03-08-2007 | 08:32 AM

'08 SL550 Sport, '11 BMW 550ix M sport
Congrats on your purchase! The 4 tray cargo divider works great for all loose items. As you can see in the photo it straps securely to D rings in the floor. With all the acceleration it's an absolute must because otherwise things slide around way too much.

Old 03-08-2007 | 08:57 AM

'08 CL63
Thanks for posting the photo "Ex-Beemer", that's the exact cargo tray that I use and it works great!

Dave
Old 03-08-2007 | 09:05 AM

[QUOTE=Rider1;2063147]

I tried to post a link to the Accessories section of mbusa but it didn't work. So just go to www.mbusa.com and "build your own" ML63 . Then go to "step 3, accessories" and you'll find all kinds of options.

I bought (from MBZ dealer) a cargo tray with 4 dividers that is held in place securely with velcro straps and does a great job of securing all kinds of stuff. Cost: about $100

It's been a GREAT vehicle so far...no problems except for one recall of a V Belt and tensioner. Oh and an ECU update.

Dave
Dave I got my car in end of Sept. When I brought it to the dealer this week they told me there was no recall or an ECU update. Do you think they know what they are doing?
Old 03-08-2007 | 09:59 AM

'08 CL63
[QUOTE=Black&Tan-AMG;2063682]
Originally Posted by Rider1

Dave I got my car in end of Sept. When I brought it to the dealer this week they told me there was no recall or an ECU update. Do you think they know what they are doing?
The recall affects something like 800 vehicles according to an old post here. My VIN was included. It took about 45 minutes to change the V Belt and tensioner and another 45 minutes or so for the ECU update.

Here's the original link: https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...75#post2032075

Dave
Old 03-08-2007 | 06:10 PM

Thanks for good advice/suggestions - Add'l. Observations

I'm really excited about getting this hot truck, if you can really call it that. I need a 4-wheel drive vehicle for the approx. 2 weeks of the year we have to deal with snow covered roads. Plus, while it is only my wife and myself, we need the cargo space and height for all of our "stuff" for our road trip vacations, i.e. golf clubs, her clothes, cooler, etc. That is my justification for getting a SUV/SAV/whatever... But I want one that looks great and has the handling and ride as muck like a car as possible, along with the performance of the AMG tuning that I have become spoiled with. Did I consider the E63 AMG wagon? Yes, for a few seconds, but I am "old school" and it is still a station wagon, with all of the memories and conatatins from my childhood, although probably the hottest wagon available....

In any event, thanks guys for all the terrific suggestions! You all are obviously very familiar with the ML63 and other M-B vehicles and I apprectiate picking your collective brains and experience. So here are some more detail oriented questions, observations and comments, as well as how I will proceed based on what I have learned from you all so far:

- I will plan on getting the M-B plastic cargo bin w/dividers, as well as the plastic/rubberized protector tray for the rear cargo area. That appears to be a very practical solution. I had one in my BMW X5 and it was most practical by containing all spills allowing for easy clean up and keeping that area clean.

- I like the concept of the K40 CALIBRE radar and laser protection system and am also planning on having it installed by a local speciality shop once I take delivery from the M-B Dealer. While it is quite expensive, the test results I've read on the web indicate it is one of the best, if not the best systems currently available. One unknown to me is whether or not the bluetooth wireless connections will interfear with or be interfeared with by the M-B hands-free, voice-activated bluetooth cell phone system that is one of the M-B options I have selected. I hope not, but we will see.....

- M-B offers an optional "spoiler" rear window "eye brow". From the photos it looks interesting to me, similar to the X5' more pronounced rear spoiler. Don't know if it would truely help the aerodynamics and performance, but am sort of intrigued with it. I have never seen one on any ML. Have any of you? Do any of you have any thoughts or comments on this?

- BTW - My wife, who really prefers driving and parking much smaller cars, has just decided to order a 2007 BMW 335i turbo coupe, with sport pkg. and most available options. It will be monaco blue metalic with black dakota leather. She said she wants to try to keep up with me when I am driving the ML63. I told her "good luck..." (knowing full well that she will do just that once we are on the winding back roads instead of stretches of straight highway).

- One observation about BMW vs. Mercedes-Benz, as a result of these two very recent purchases/orders. BMW provides their "Assist" system (their version of M-B TeleAid free-of-charge for the first four (4) years of car ownership, whereas M-B TeleAid is free for just the 1st year then $240/year after that.

- Also, due to a FCC ruling, all the automobile mfgrs are now required to migrate on Jan. 1, 2008 to digital from analog service for OnStar (GM), Assist (BMW) and/or TeleAid(M-B). Those of us with pre-2007 model year vehicles, ('04 M-B E55 AMG), are just now receiving letters saying that if we want to continue with this vital (my opinion) safety and convenience feature we have to pay the dealer to convert our cars systems. This fee is $1,500!!! Now that was a real shocker!

- Also my wife's BMW will come with all of her regular maintenance/service covered free-of-charge for the first 4-years or 50,000 miles, whichever comes first. M-B used to have this program as well, (my '04 E55 is covered under it). Unfortunately, M-B decided last year to discontiue this program due to its high cost to them. Oh well... What is the cost of a typical 10,000-15,000 mile servicing at a M-B Dealer these days???

AVB-AMG
Old 03-09-2007 | 11:55 PM

07 ML63 Silver Dead at 85k, 14 RS5, 05 SL600
Black&Tan AMG-where is the readout

If you don't mind me asking where did you have the readout display mounted?
I have the passport remote with laser jammer on order, but Im not sure where to put the display. I am wondering if it can go in the slide-out storage compartment above the ashtray. It needs to be visible incase I can't hear it.
Old 03-10-2007 | 01:11 AM

K40 LED Lights Location on the ML63 Dash

Kokanee: I considered the Passport remote system, but they have not really changed their display unit in the past 4 years or so, whereas the K40 Calibre system is a completly upgraded system. The independent test of the K40 system indicates that it is one of the best, if not the best remote radar/laser detector system currently available. It's price reflects that as well. Check out the test results at the following website link to an Adobe pdf file:

http://k40.com/images/pdf/reviews/SML_2005_TEST.pdf

Well I have not had the K40 Calibre system installed yet since I will not be taking delivery of the ML63 until this summer. After speaking with the installer technician, he confirmed that he will remove the instrument cluster and drill two (2) 3/16" dia. holes for the blue LED lights. The left light for indicating a frontal radar/laser alert and the right light for rear radar alert, (laser can only effectively be used on vehicles that are moving towards the laser gun). The smaller audio speaker is mounted under the dash. the entire system has a wireless bluetoohth remote control unit that is used to turn the system on/off, change modes, etc. and can easily fit in the ML's pull out try in the dash central console. This type of installation is considered the most "stealth" and least disruptive on the vehicle's interior.

K40 also offers a second option of two surface-mounted hard-wired matte black colored "pods" that are a combination red LED light and small speaker. This option, while not as "stealth" as the first method, is quite subtle and probably is the preferable installation method for a leased vehicle.

I had the hardwired K40 radar/laser detector/diffuser system with the surface-mounted "pods" mounted on the horizontal shelf area of the instrument cluster on my '04 BMW X5 4.4i (Full Aero Kit, Sport Pkg.). The radar detectors worked quite well, but the laser diffuser was priceless! The entire system also uses advanced technology to make it invisible to most radar detector detectors used by most law enforcement agencies. It worked quite well and saved me many $$$ and points on many occasions, easily paying for itself. The best experience I had was while driving south on US Rt. 13 on Virginia's eastern shore. A Virginia State Police speed trap using Laser "zapped" me as I was cruising around 74-78 mph. As we know, laser detectors are worthless since the just light up like a christmas tree, screeching away, essentially saying "your busted!" The K40 laser diffuser apparently effectively did what it is advertised to do and caused a "non-reading" on the trooper's laser gun. As I slowed down to a speed of approx. 60 mph and approched the troopers, the one holding the laser gun kept aiming it at me then turning it sideways, looking rather quizically at it, doing this several times, as I drove past trying as hard as I could to surpress a smile. My wife sarcastically said then that I was one lucky x*#@! as we continued our trip southward.....

The following web links will take you to the K40 Calibre web site. They include a photo of a typical dash installation, as well as an Adobe PDF of the K40 CALIBRE installation instruction guide that illustrates both of these methods, as well as that for the rest of the radar dectectors and laser detector/diffuser units on the vehicle. For the ML63 I will have the LED indicator lights located on the lower center area of the instrument cluster, approx. 3" apart from each other.

http://k40.com/cali_stea.html

http://k40.com/images/pdf/tech/Calib...tion_Guide.pdf

http://k40.com/home_main.html

I hope this verbose response helps......
AVB-AMG
Old 03-10-2007 | 01:25 AM

LED Locations on Instrument Cluster

To clairify, I anticipate having the 3/16" holes drilled for the two (2) LED lights at the "4:00 o'clock" position for the left indicator light and at the "8:00 o'clock" position for the right indicator light, from the two large circular instrument dials on the center dash area that is flat and free space. This assumes that I have the 1" min. req'd. depth behind this surface, which we will determine once the instrument cluster has been removed. (Refer to the web link photo of the ML center dash instrument cluster for reference)

http://www4.mercedes-benz.com/e/cars...nstrument.html

AVB-AMG
Old 03-10-2007 | 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by kokanee
If you don't mind me asking where did you have the readout display mounted?
I have the passport remote with laser jammer on order, but Im not sure where to put the display. I am wondering if it can go in the slide-out storage compartment above the ashtray. It needs to be visible incase I can't hear it.

It's in the glove box under the CD Changer. We wired it into the center channel through the amp. It is very loud even with stereo turned up as loud as I can take it.
Attached Thumbnails Several Practical Questions for ML63 Owners-img_1496.jpg  
Old 03-11-2007 | 03:16 PM

07 ML63 Silver Dead at 85k, 14 RS5, 05 SL600
Good ideas Thanks AVB and Black&Tan

Your responses do help and are appreciated. I am going to see if it's not to late to switch to the K40. My supplier may have already bought the passport on my behalf. I have the passport in another vehicle (three year old version) and I'm not so happy with where the led is nor the fact I can't hear it with the stereo up. Black&Tan If the reciever is in the glove box but I can still hear it it would be great. Probably with either unit. The location shown for the LED's is excellent too. Perhaps I may be able to let you know how the dash mount works out on the ML. I will print the pictures and take it into the installer.

Can you tell me if with the K40 you get a confirmation that it is working each time you start up? Also I hope there would be no interference with the Bluetooth for the phone.

AVB I think you wil be very happy with the ML. On a couple of occasions I have allowed myself to be goaded into some silly behavior. I can tell you that this vehicle is quite controllable at the limit when unexpected things happen. It stops amazingly well and is quite forgiving. In day to day driving you will find others upset with you because they are trying to get past you, yet they can't, and you aren't even aware until they pull in behind with a scowl on their face. There is something very satisfying about waiting until someone doing a brake stand in front of you hooks up and then passing them. The stunned look on their faces as you go by is so worth the price of this vehicle.
Old 03-11-2007 | 04:46 PM

There is an external speaker and we did not use it, instead wired it through the amp into the center channel of the existing MB stereo. It work well, I just wish it would not false so much. In fact I leave it off most of the time. I now only use it on longer trips.
Old 03-11-2007 | 10:36 PM

Second Thoughts.....

kokanee: I am having some second thoughts on the K40 Caliber system. Both you and Black&Tan-AMG motivated me to do some additional research on the current options for concealed/stealth radar and laser detectors w/laser jamming, referred to by the different mfgrs. as either "blocking/shifting/diffusing". When we are paying around $2,000 for the electronics hardware + installation I for one want to make sure that I have selected the best current technology. I read a test of the three current systems that appears to be objective. To read the entire test results go to this web site link:

http://www.radartest.com/article.asp?articleID=7776

The remote-mounted radar/laser detectors/jammers included in this test were:
1. BEL Pro Remote Plus (Model RX75 Plus)
2. Escort Passport SR7
3. K40 2000P

The current top-of-the-line system from Escort is the Passport SRX and from K40 the Calibre system. Unfortunately this test from early 2004 included the hard wired K40 system that I had on my BMW X5, as opposed to the newer K40 Caliber system. The important point from this review is that detection and jamming of laser is better accomplished by the use of two front-mounted transceivers instead of one. Both the BEL and Escort systems, those tested as well as the newer top-of-the-line units use two transceivers while the K40 Caliber system still only uses one.

I believe that most state police departments are migrating and upgrading to the use of laser as they can afford to, phasing out their radar units. Also, I agree with this review that 95% of the speed traps use radar and laser aimed at oncoming traffic as opposed to a patrol car running up on you from behind. Therefore the superior advantage of the rear dector sensitivity on the K40 system is not that important. Finally, being able to understand the frequency and thus the type of radar being detected is a real advantage that both the BEL and Escort systems afford. The K40 premise that their clients don't want to have too much "stuff" cluttering their vehicles dashboard may be true, but their systems greater vulnerabilty to laser aimed at a headlight area instead of the front license plate could mean the difference of an expensive (both $ & points) ticket.

Like Black&Tan-AMG, I will most likely turn the system off or have it set to "city mode" most of the time. It is when we do our long, multi-state road trips that I want the fullest protection available. Therefore, I think that Black&Tan AMG made the correct choice and your initial instincts are valid regarding the Escort system. I am going to price the Escort Passport SRX system for installation into my new ML63, and assume it will be about the same as the K40. Escort's web site states that the starting price is around $1,600, depending on the type of vehicle it will be installed in. I like Black&Tan AMG's solution for the audio for the Escort system but am not so sure about the choice of installing the Display Controller inside the glove compartment. I think I would like to consider an alternative location, if feasible. Is there room enought on top of the steering console for it or not? What about on the underside of the dash, above where one's right leg would be? What do you guys think?

AVB-AMG
Old 03-12-2007 | 12:36 AM

AVB: I have three vehicles that I drive daily and all three including my ML63 have the RX75 plus installed. I have not had a ticket since I had them installed. I can honestly say that the false alarms are few and far between. The system has never let me down and I think it is worth every penny.

Install on the ML was about 8 hours though...

Three RX75's in three vehicles that have collective 1500hp + NO Tickets = worth the money
Old 03-15-2007 | 04:07 PM

2007 S600. 2005 Carrera GT. 2007 Range Rover SC. 2008 BMW X5. 1967 SS Chevelle.
I have the K40 wireless installed and the installers used my actual directional blinkers that will blink blue. Left blinker for rear radar and right blinker for front. Why would your intsallers want to drill holes as opposed to using the existing blinkers? BTW: my installation was performed by the mercedes Benz intallation shop.

I forgot to mention that my car is the GL not the ML.

To clairify, I anticipate having the 3/16" holes drilled for the two (2) LED lights at the "4:00 o'clock" position for the left indicator light and at the "8:00 o'clock" position for the right indicator light, from the two large circular instrument dials on the center dash area that is flat and free space. This assumes that I have the 1" min. req'd. depth behind this surface, which we will determine once the instrument cluster has been removed. (Refer to the web link photo of the ML center dash instrument cluster for reference)

http://www4.mercedes-benz.com/e/cars...nstrument.html

AVB-AMG

Last edited by cmcjo; 03-15-2007 at 04:09 PM.