YIKES rust spots on my ML63 paint !

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-06-2007, 01:30 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2007 ML63 ///AMG
YIKES rust spots on my ML63 paint !

My 2007 ML63 has rust colored spots in the paint on my drivers door and a tiny bit in other places. They are very small, but stand out against my light silver paint. This just started - didnt always have these.

Tried to have it buffed, but no luck - its in the paint. any ideas?
Old 07-06-2007, 03:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
'05 A4 1.8TQM6
Try clay bar.
Old 07-06-2007, 04:23 PM
Almost a Member!

06 C55
Originally Posted by Zack305
My 2007 ML63 has rust colored spots in the paint on my drivers door and a tiny bit in other places. They are very small, but stand out against my light silver paint. This just started - didnt always have these.

Tried to have it buffed, but no luck - its in the paint. any ideas?
they call it rail dust....front the train it traveled on little hot pieces of metal dust sticks to the clear coat and when it gets wets it starts to rust. and if it was taking off at the dealer like it should have been then it's from the brakes and is pretty common on cars with big or performance brakes. Clay bar and some good wax and it's perfect again. with those brakes plan on keeping your vehicle clean or you will be a pro at using the clay bar really quick

mark
Old 07-06-2007, 04:23 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
00 MB ML55, 91 Toyota Supra Turbo(sold), 06 E500(gone), 03 BMW M3
clay bar and give it a real detailing...
Old 07-30-2007, 09:49 PM
Almost a Member!

2007 ML63 ///AMG
Thanks for your help, I appreciate it.

but... none of that worked, clay or wax. we also tried buffing, and my detailer also tried some type of quick acid thing...

well nothing is helping at all, and i am now noticing it on other panels as well.

(btw, i do live on the ocean and my bldg's garage is open and right by the sea... could this have been to blame? - but even if it is the cars only about 8 months old...)

give me some advice plz
Old 08-01-2007, 08:24 AM

Originally Posted by Zack305
Thanks for your help, I appreciate it.

but... none of that worked, clay or wax. we also tried buffing, and my detailer also tried some type of quick acid thing...

well nothing is helping at all, and i am now noticing it on other panels as well.

(btw, i do live on the ocean and my bldg's garage is open and right by the sea... could this have been to blame? - but even if it is the cars only about 8 months old...)

give me some advice plz
get into a REALLY GOOD DETAILING SHOP and tell them to USE CLAY BAR. That is the only way you can remove that. The tiny small rust spots are also known as "PIN RUST". Also, those rust might have started long before you bought it. The reason why I said this was that I have a friend who works for Land Rover and told me that sometimes during the shipping of the car, salt water gets in somewhere in the car then starts to rust. Once it arrives at the dealership, even the dealership themselves don't notice that at all.

To protect your car since you live near the ocean, I would suggest that you get your car detailed every 6 mos and get that small gadget that minimizes the rust from forming too fast. I forgot what it's called but I guess its a good thing to have that one.