ML55 AMG, ML63 AMG (W163, W164) 1999 - 2011 Two Generations

ML-55 Cooalnt Leaking

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-05-2007, 10:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ML-55 Cooalnt Leaking

I have been noticing a puddle of coolant on my garage floor just below the pasenger side engine. Looking closely I see coolant dripping down from the passenger side wheel well...

I'm also having a high pitched squeal (not-ebox or idler guide pulley) when I pull in to the garage occasionally.
What could possibly be wrong.Not sure where to look/begin Please advise...
Tom
Old 10-05-2007, 11:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
01 ML55, 91 Supra Turbo, 05 Audi S4
Originally Posted by sstomcat
I have been noticing a puddle of coolant on my garage floor just below the pasenger side engine. Looking closely I see coolant dripping down from the passenger side wheel well...

I'm also having a high pitched squeal (not-ebox or idler guide pulley) when I pull in to the garage occasionally.
What could possibly be wrong.Not sure where to look/begin Please advise...
Tom

The coolant overflow is next to the passenger side wheelwell, so it may be that, is it overheating or is it burning coolant? white smoke out the tail pipes? Squeal could be the brakes..
Old 10-06-2007, 01:47 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
00 MB ML55, 91 Toyota Supra Turbo(sold), 06 E500(gone), 03 BMW M3
hannie the over flow is over the middle of the engine... at least in my 00 it is, I dunno if they changed it for the 01s? There shouldnt really be any liquid leaks from the passenger side... the only thing found on the left side is the oil drain plug which even that would drip into your skid plate...

Check you oil level to verify you have enough oil...

And the whine you hear, is it when you turn your steering wheel? If so, you need power steering fluid
Old 10-06-2007, 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by 55fanatic
hannie the over flow is over the middle of the engine... at least in my 00 it is, I dunno if they changed it for the 01s? There shouldnt really be any liquid leaks from the passenger side... the only thing found on the left side is the oil drain plug which even that would drip into your skid plate...

And the whine you hear, is it when you turn your steering wheel? If so, you need power steering fluid
Yes the oil level is fine, and its not the steering whine.
The drippage is of coolant,and definitely from my passenger side...Mine isa ML-55 2000, 60K miles. Any opinions is appreciated. The occasional squeal, I hear it only when I pull in to the garage seems to be coming from the passenger side front as well. Guessing it could be the idler I went ahead and replaced it..but the squeal remains?Thanks
Old 10-06-2007, 09:50 AM

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
2024 AMG G63, 2023 Bentley GTC Speed
I remember a passenger-side leak of blue-green fluid in mine that turned out to be from either the washer fluid tank or the headlight washer. Are you sure it's coolant and not washer fluid?
Old 10-06-2007, 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by v8plus4
I remember a passenger-side leak of blue-green fluid in mine that turned out to be from either the washer fluid tank or the headlight washer. Are you sure it's coolant and not washer fluid?
What makes me guess its the coolant is it has a squishy feeling like the anitifreeze...but i guess there is no way for me to be absolutely sure...thanks anyways
Old 10-06-2007, 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by 55fanatic

I just double checked and My overflow comes out behind my the air filter housing and is mounted above the passenger side wheel well. so any coolant would run down the inside of the wheel well. you're right should not be any leaks period! Antifreeze has a sickly sweet smell...
Old 10-06-2007, 04:48 PM

1965 Chevy C-10
What color is the fluid? If you have benz antifreeze in it, it should be either orange or red.
Old 10-06-2007, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by hanniep
I just double checked and My overflow comes out behind my the air filter housing and is mounted above the passenger side wheel well. so any coolant would run down the inside of the wheel well. you're right should not be any leaks period! Antifreeze has a sickly sweet smell...
After the coolant flush I did put in the antifreeze slightly above the cold level mark, could that be an issue?
If it is the overflow, what may cause the coolant to overflow?Is it Ok or this si a potential problem?thanks
Old 10-08-2007, 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by sstomcat
After the coolant flush I did put in the antifreeze slightly above the cold level mark, could that be an issue?
If it is the overflow, what may cause the coolant to overflow?Is it Ok or this si a potential problem?thanks
That should not make it overflow, Check the reservoir itself it might have a crack in it, I had mine replaced last year because it cracked and was leaking all over the motor. Coolant overflow can be a malfunction with the thermostat also. Or a blown head gasket! as was my case...
Old 10-09-2007, 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by MAJBOB01
What color is the fluid? If you have benz antifreeze in it, it should be either orange or red.
You are right itthe overflow in in vehicle is also on the passenger side just behind the Air Filter.

My leak was from the lower hose clamp...replaced and now it is fine. The squeal is also lot less and I'm hearing it occasionally.
My question is has the damage been done and I should go ahead and replace the belt or the coolant in the belt(I'm guessing ) may dry out by itself? thanks