Out Of Control!!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
00 MB ML55, 91 Toyota Supra Turbo(sold), 06 E500(gone), 03 BMW M3
seafoaming my ML55

Links to pictures and video... and write up
Old 01-19-2008, 03:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
All of them!
I applied the Seafoam crap directly to the carboned engine parts in my ML55 over an entire day and watched for any action. It did NOTHING, not even softing or removing staining. Maybe get yourself a dyno next time to prove it does something, carbon removal it does perform as it claimed.
It smells of acetone and alchohol, even though it claims not to contain alchohol. I wouldn't run it, especially when there are good chemicals available for these tasks that will actually perform well the intended tasks.

Here's a link to the thread where an expert suggested I should have just used the seafoam, so being of an open mind, I did.
http://www.benzworld.org/forums/show...=1#post2068009
Old 01-19-2008, 07:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
not stock.
hmm..not convinced on doing all this work...
Old 01-20-2008, 04:09 AM
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by mbenzman
I applied the Seafoam crap directly to the carboned engine parts in my ML55 over an entire day and watched for any action. It did NOTHING, not even softing or removing staining. Maybe get yourself a dyno next time to prove it does something, carbon removal it does perform as it claimed.
It smells of acetone and alchohol, even though it claims not to contain alchohol. I wouldn't run it, especially when there are good chemicals available for these tasks that will actually perform well the intended tasks.

Here's a link to the thread where an expert suggested I should have just used the seafoam, so being of an open mind, I did.
http://www.benzworld.org/forums/show...=1#post2068009
Mbenzman, I know you have done a fair amount of work on your engines yourself, but I do have to say via my own experiences... this works amazing, at least on my ML55... I have done it two times now and honestly for a vehicle with 132k miles the engine certainly does not feel it... after running seafoam through my crankcase(oil) and through my intake manifold, my engine at idle, runs smoother and SIGNIFICANTLY quieter then my E500 with 19k miles on it.

Instead of applying it directly I think you may want to try the recomended way... I would bet it works similar to an alcohol injection system on beefed up engines. I was very skeptical at first... my family owns a repair shop that sees a large number of vehicles a year, anything from early 90s honda civics to antiques to the newest releases from BMW and MB... I figured I would run it through my ML for ****s and giggles the first time, and honestly was blown away by the results...

If you're ever in the boston area and want to experience it first hand I will be glad to show you... it by no means replaces the work you have done to your vehicles for cleaning them out but for 30min worth of work before an oil change I am floored by the results...

this last time(my second time doing it) I used three bottles total... 1 in the manifold, 1 in the crank case(oil), and 1 in my tank of gas... not only do I notice an increase in gas mileage, but as stated my engine runs smoother, more powerful and quieter then ever before. Now the W163 ML is not quiet by any means but just after the service I was able to keep my radio off, and heat off, and I didnt hear the engine running, while the idle remained between 500 and 750 RPMS
Old 01-20-2008, 11:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
98 Black C43 , 08' ML320 CDI ,11 E63
Pete , I give you credit for having the ***** to put this in your motor.I don't know what it would cost to replace the motor in the ML , but I know it can't be cheap.Thanx for the write-up.I might try it in the 420 - it has 205k on it.What do you think ?
Old 01-20-2008, 11:39 AM

All of them!
Originally Posted by 55fanatic
Mbenzman, I know you have done a fair amount of work on your engines yourself, but I do have to say via my own experiences... this works amazing, at least on my ML55...
Let me let you in on a little secret, I do my own work because I am a Mercedes factory trained mechanic/shop owner/car enthusiast/car owner with over 25 years experience and very well known around Atlanta to say the least. Nuff said?

this works amazing, at least on my ML55... I have done it two times now and honestly for a vehicle with 132k miles the engine certainly does not feel it... after running seafoam through my crankcase(oil) and through my intake manifold, my engine at idle, runs smoother and SIGNIFICANTLY quieter then my E500 with 19k miles on it.
this last time(my second time doing it) I used three bottles total... 1 in the manifold, 1 in the crank case(oil), and 1 in my tank of gas... not only do I notice an increase in gas mileage, but as stated my engine runs smoother, more powerful and quieter then ever before. Now the W163 ML is not quiet by any means but just after the service I was able to keep my radio off, and heat off, and I didnt hear the engine running, while the idle remained between 500 and 750 RPMS
I haven't run Seafoam in my ML55 with 127K miles and I can't hear or feel the engine at idle either and I have a resonator delete. My idle doesn't vary around between 500 and 750 rpm either, you might want to check into that!
I've used BG products in mine, sorry the seafoam didn't touch the sludge in the intake or even soften the hard carbon on the intake valves, but the BG did take care of it.

Instead of applying it directly I think you may want to try the recomended way... I would bet it works similar to an alcohol injection system on beefed up engines.
I can't imagine that this would make a positive difference to intake manifold sludge removal as they would be applying less of it over a shorter period of time. The only difference I can imagine is that YOU just wouldn't SEE that it did nothing to the sludge it claimed to remove. It probably has the same crap in it that guaranteed to pass additive had in it.

I was very skeptical at first...
I was skeptical and have changed that to convinced that seafoam is garbage. Let's see your intake pics before and after if you want to even try to convince me to try it another way. I can tell you the BG product for example WILL dissolve the sludge on contact and make cars run better immediately including pass smog tests that they failed and this is all I did to make them pass.
I will not put the seafoam in my tank especially when they won't even tell you what's in it, except to state there's no alchohol when it smells of it and acetone. Talk about snake oil, you can put it anywhere, I have no one product in the shop aimed at every purpose.
The alchohol could give you a performance boost, but the acetone is something you won't catch me adding to my or any one of my customers engines. I have products that provide results that are felt and seen as well plus, they actually state what they have in them!!!

If you're ever in the boston area and want to experience it first hand I will be glad to show you...
I used to drive around Boston on the bypass on my way up to N.S., or fly into Logan transferring planes to a Halifax flight, but it's been three years and I'm unsure of when I'll be going again, but I doubt that a $8 bottle of Seafoam is worth the trip, Now, if your going to bribe me, the clam chowder is worth it. Even better, N.S. beer (Keith's) and clam chowder.
You would want to be carefull not to add non-approved products to your car as you may give the dealer a way to void your warranty should a problem arise, and big brother is watching the forums.
Old 01-21-2008, 08:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I've used BG products in mine, sorry the seafoam didn't touch the sludge in the intake or even soften the hard carbon on the intake valves, but the BG did take care of it.

I can tell you the BG product for example WILL dissolve the sludge on contact and make cars run better immediately including pass smog tests that they failed and this is all I did to make them pass.
Please post link to this/these products !
Old 01-21-2008, 08:56 AM

All of them!
Originally Posted by C43AMG
Please post link to this/these products !
http://www.bgprod.com/home.html
Bg products are professional use only and can require some specialized equipment to use. However you seem to be able to find someone who will sell anything on the web so search ebay for 44k for example.
Be aware that these aren't factory approved either, but have an outstanding reputation among the service professionals including some M.B. dealers have/do use them.
Old 01-21-2008, 12:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

http://www.bgprod.com/home.html
Bg products are professional use only and can require some specialized equipment to use. However you seem to be able to find someone who will sell anything on the web so search ebay for 44k for example.
Be aware that these aren't factory approved either, but have an outstanding reputation among the service professionals including some M.B. dealers have/do use them.
Thanx for the info !
Old 01-22-2008, 09:27 AM
Out Of Control!!

Let me let you in on a little secret, I do my own work because I am a Mercedes factory trained mechanic/shop owner/car enthusiast/car owner with over 25 years experience and very well known around Atlanta to say the least. Nuff said?

I haven't run Seafoam in my ML55 with 127K miles and I can't hear or feel the engine at idle either and I have a resonator delete. My idle doesn't vary around between 500 and 750 rpm either, you might want to check into that!

I can't imagine that this would make a positive difference to intake manifold sludge removal as they would be applying less of it over a shorter period of time. The only difference I can imagine is that YOU just wouldn't SEE that it did nothing to the sludge it claimed to remove. It probably has the same crap in it that guaranteed to pass additive had in it.

I was skeptical and have changed that to convinced that seafoam is garbage. Let's see your intake pics before and after if you want to even try to convince me to try it another way. I can tell you the BG product for example WILL dissolve the sludge on contact and make cars run better immediately including pass smog tests that they failed and this is all I did to make them pass.
I will not put the seafoam in my tank especially when they won't even tell you what's in it, except to state there's no alchohol when it smells of it and acetone. Talk about snake oil, you can put it anywhere, I have no one product in the shop aimed at every purpose.
The alchohol could give you a performance boost, but the acetone is something you won't catch me adding to my or any one of my customers engines. I have products that provide results that are felt and seen as well plus, they actually state what they have in them!!!

I used to drive around Boston on the bypass on my way up to N.S., or fly into Logan transferring planes to a Halifax flight, but it's been three years and I'm unsure of when I'll be going again, but I doubt that a $8 bottle of Seafoam is worth the trip, Now, if your going to bribe me, the clam chowder is worth it. Even better, N.S. beer (Keith's) and clam chowder.
You would want to be carefull not to add non-approved products to your car as you may give the dealer a way to void your warranty should a problem arise, and big brother is watching the forums.
I dont have near the experience of you on removing my engine or intake manifold for that matter but I will see if I can dig up the pictures I saw of a Mk3 supra owner who had done it and dissasembled the engine...

And you let me know the time and the place... Im always ready for a beer and a clam chowder!!!
-Pete
Old 01-22-2008, 10:22 AM

All of them!
I dont have near the experience of you on removing my engine or intake manifold for that matter but I will see if I can dig up the pictures I saw of a Mk3 supra owner who had done it and dissasembled the engine...

And you let me know the time and the place... Im always ready for a beer and a clam chowder!!!
-Pete
The real problem is that you need to see it before and after, which is why I did it this way. My experience is that you could use the same after pics as the before.

I'll swap you a can of the Seafoam snake oil that's just clogging up shelf space for that proven N.E. chowder!
We've gotten a little snow and crappy cold 16 deg. weather here in Atlanta this past week, it would kinda be nice to take jr. up to see some family and play in some "real" snow.
Old 01-22-2008, 12:51 PM
Out Of Control!!

haha I wont be seafoaming the ML for a while but I would still grab some chowder!!! Are you originally from Canada? And speaking of snow, we are getting a few inches up here tonight

Maybe Ill look into doing it with my E30 BMW... I think its pretty easy to remove the manifold, Ill take it off, perform the service, and take it off again to see the results...
Old 01-22-2008, 02:15 PM

All of them!
haha I wont be seafoaming the ML for a while but I would still grab some chowder!!! Are you originally from Canada? And speaking of snow, we are getting a few inches up here tonight

Maybe Ill look into doing it with my E30 BMW... I think its pretty easy to remove the manifold, Ill take it off, perform the service, and take it off again to see the results...

I grew up in N.S. where I have a lot of family/friends. My parents moved there from N.J. after coming from Germany where a lot of my relatives still are, along with a lot of other family which a bunch are still around there. I moved down to Ga. after grad, as there was more family here.
We're expecting sleet here, we'll see if it comes or not. Been cold here for a week, I'd rather the weather dump on us or get warm!
Old 01-22-2008, 11:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1999 C280
Where can you get BG products?
Old 01-22-2008, 11:37 PM

All of them!
Originally Posted by NdnMbLova
Where can you get BG products?
Look at the bg website for a dealer near you or try ebay. They are supposed to be dealer/professional use only, but as I said earlier, you can find anything on the web.
The air induction system cleaner is three parts, and you need equipment to apply it. But the 44K is awesome in the tank.
I've been using their products for at least twenty years, I carry them in my shop and rely on them to do what they claim.
Old 01-23-2008, 09:33 AM

All of them!
Here's a previous thread on Seafoam.

https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/212519-seafoam.html
Old 01-23-2008, 10:55 PM
Out Of Control!!

when it gets a little warmer out I will try it on my 1986 BMW 325e with 193k miles on the clock... The intake manifold is fairly easy to remove, so Ill take it off, take pictures of it, run the seafoam and take pictures again... it will either debunk the myth or it will show some progress... I traded the car for some audio equipment so if it dies, i can just send it to the junk yard...
Old 02-03-2008, 10:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1999 C280
Look at the bg website for a dealer near you or try ebay. They are supposed to be dealer/professional use only, but as I said earlier, you can find anything on the web.
The air induction system cleaner is three parts, and you need equipment to apply it. But the 44K is awesome in the tank.
I've been using their products for at least twenty years, I carry them in my shop and rely on them to do what they claim.
If you have it, can you "sell" it to us?
Old 02-09-2008, 01:04 PM

All of them!
Originally Posted by NdnMbLova
If you have it, can you "sell" it to us?
Like I had previously stated you can find it (44K) all over ebay, for i.e. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/4-can...em290203588085
The air induction cleaner chemicals need specialized equipment to apply, so you'd have to buy that to use the chemicals, but you can find them too on there.
I would just ask your mechanic what he uses for that.
To answer your question and clarify further, I previously stated that we (BG dealers) are not supposed to be selling the stuff, but using it on vehicles and I've never sold a can over the counter, I always install it! I will not ever lose my account this way.

Old 02-20-2008, 03:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts
AMG
Where can I find this....how you say.....see-foam?
Old 02-22-2008, 09:02 AM
Out Of Control!!

http://www.seafoamsales.com/buy.htm
Old 02-22-2008, 09:29 AM

All of them!
Here's an inside picture from their factory, where they're brewing up a fresh batch.

Old 08-14-2011, 08:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2003 CLK55
Did we ever put an end to this debate? I'm starting to get the itch to seafoam the ML soon!
Old 01-10-2013, 07:22 PM
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by Stiggs
Did we ever put an end to this debate? I'm starting to get the itch to seafoam the ML soon!
did you ever re-seafoam it, stiggsy?