ML55 AMG, ML63 AMG (W163, W164) 1999 - 2011 Two Generations

What do you guys think of the new X5M and X6M?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-07-2009, 03:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'05 SL 55 Black/Black w/mods from Eurocharged/Kleemann/BuckheadImports
Post What do you guys think of the new X5M and X6M?

The new X5 and X6M editions are out as of today now and they have a 555 HP twin-turbo 4.4 liter direct-injection V-8 with full M-specific body/wheels/brakes/trans/interior/etc..

Has 15.6" brakes, 20" wheels, M body... and about $40,000 cheaper than a Cayenne Turbo S..... do you guys think its a competitor against an ML63 and a Cayenne Turbo S?

And will Benz retaliate with that all-new 5.0 liter or 6.3 liter twin-turbo DI V-8 that we've all been hearing rumors about that they've been working on for a few years now?

Supposedly the retaliation will come in the form of maybe a 5.0 liter tt DI v-8 with somewhere over 580 HP... but maybe not for another year or two or three?

These twin-turbo engines are gonna make everyone so happy with their ability to be ECU'd for huge gains for not too much cash.

http://www.leftlanenews.com/bmw-x6-m.html
Old 04-07-2009, 08:55 PM

'08 SL550 Sport, '11 BMW 550ix M sport
I'm not feeling the large air intakes on the front bumpers of both vehicles. They may be functional but, they're all you see when the car's coming at you.

I like the change to engines that have more torque at lower RPM's, rather than the high reving V-10's that need to be pushed to the limit to fully produce.

The X6M is still an odd looking duck but I like the overall look of the X5M... (not as much as my ML63 though...)
Old 04-29-2009, 05:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1961 Mercedes-Benz 190SL and 2016 BMW X5M
ML63 AMG vs. BMW X5 M

I share EX-BEEMER's opinion about our first thoughts / gut reaction to the new BMW X5 M. The extremely large air intake grills on the front are almost cartoonish and make the vehicle appear to have some form of after-market aero kit that was just very well thought out. Yes, it is certainly functional and all but IMHO, it looks rather silly and not very elegant or sleek, like my '07 AMG ML63 AMG, which I prefer greatly over the front end modifications made to the '09 model. Other than that, I really do like the side and rear views of the new BMW X5 M, as well as the new wheel design. Having owned two BMW X5's prior to the ML63, I appreciate what BMW has finally done with this new X5 by finally providing enough HP and torque from this new engine to make the vehicle competitive with the ML63 and Prosche Cayenne. I am looking forward to driving one in the next 6 months to see what I think of it, since my 3-year lease comes due in 6/10. So far, I have been extremely happy with the vehicle, having had minor problems that the M-B Dealer has been able to fix for me to my complete satisfaction, (i.e. A.C. coolant leak, rear hatch latch not locking consistently, Rear Entertainment System malfunction of one LCD video screen).

Regarding what to do at the end of my lease, one thought would be just to re-up the lease for another 2-3 years if MB Financial gives me a residual value that is reduced from what is stated on my lease agreement, (which I assume will be the case), as well as offering me the same extended mfgr. warranty that would be offered to any customer buying the vehicle as a used car from a M-B Dealer. The cost reduction of that deal will make my ML63 even more attractive financially compared to a lease of a new '10 MB ML63 or '10 BMW X5 M. With this sour economy still in deep recession, I think that at this point, I am leaning toward the sober practicality of going with the less expensive direction, even if the appeal of trying a new vehicle such at the X5 M has a real tempting appeal. Will that appeal be worth double the cost for my monthly payments??? Hmmmm.

Anyone here have similar ideas or thoughts...?

AVB-AMG
Old 04-29-2009, 06:57 PM

2007 ML 63
Regarding what to do at the end of my lease, one thought would be just to re-up the lease for another 2-3 years if MB Financial gives me a residual value that is reduced from what is stated on my lease agreement, (which I assume will be the case), as well as offering me the same extended mfgr. warranty that would be offered to any customer buying the vehicle as a used car from a M-B Dealer.

AVB-AMG
[/QUOTE]

I dont think MB dealer will do this re-up deal of reducing residual and extending the warranty. I think you may do better getting a new lease on an ML63 for 3 years, though these cars generally dont lease well in terms of discounts. Keep us posted, even in a challenging economy the dealer has to make a little money. No need to wait until the end of the lease to try to negotiate this deal. They may discuss within 4 months of termination.
Old 02-25-2010, 08:35 AM

1961 Mercedes-Benz 190SL and 2016 BMW X5M
Purchased my '07 ML63 AMG at end of lease

After test driving and crunching the numbers on leasing a new 2010 BMW X5 M and comparing it to keeping my 2007 ML63 AMG, currently with 37,000 miles and in excellent shape, both mechanically and physically, I decided to buy the ML63 at the end of my 33 month lease, which expires in March 2010. The cost savings were just too staggering for even someone like me who can rationalize just about anything concerning automobiles.

The cost of a fully loaded BMW X5 M spec's the way I would want it would be around $100,000. My negotiated discount from my local BMW Dealer (who I have leased 4 vehicles from in the past), would bring it down to around $90,000.

I am not really interested in leasing a new, 2010 ML63 AMG since I do not really care for some of the face-lift tweaks that MB performed on the vehicle, (see my previous posts on this....)

I recently contacted Mercedes-Benz Financial whom I leased my ML63 from and discussed my end-of-lease options, which were:

1. Extend my Lease - They are willing to do this but were not willing to reduce my residual value or adjust my lease APR %rate to reflect the current lower market rates. So my monthly payments would remain the same as they had been. Obviously, MBF is not interested in doing this, and hence, there is no incentive to us, their customers. I realize that MBUSA wants to sell/lease new vehicles, first and foremost!
2. Buy the vehicle at end of lease and finance through MBF - They are willing to do this and they would give me just under $2,000 discount below my lease-stated residual value, which brings my cost, before adding in my State's sales tax, at around $49,000. The kicker is that they were offering a finance APR rate of 7%! Not competitve at all with current bank auto loan rates.
3. Buy the vehicle at end of lease and finance via a bank loan - This is the option I chose. My bank gave me an auto loan for the full cost of acquiring the vehicle from MBF, ($49,000 + 7% State Sales Tax), at an APR of 4.19%.

We have always used the ML63 for our long weekend / vacation road trips and weekend driving where we need the addional space. Most of the miles on the vehicle are highway miles and the ML63 has been an excellent and comfortable cruiser. With this type of driving, I anticipate that I will reach the end of the original Mfgrs. Waranty period in the spring of 2011, (4 years or 50,000 miles). So sometime in Feb. 2011, I will shop around various M-B Dealers nationwide and purchase a Mercedes-Benz Extended Limited Warranty (ELW). I do not have to purchase the ELW from the MB Dealer I leased the vehcile from but can get it from any US MB Dealer for the lowest possible cost and can do that over the internet/phone. The "ballpark" cost quoted me at this time, for this ELW will probably be around $3,200 - $3,800 for 2-years or 75,000 miles (12,000 miles / year), whichever comes first. We all know and appreciate the importance of having this type of continued coverage on any AMG vehicle since the repair/replacement costs without it can become quite prohibitive.

My goal is to get another 3 years of use from this excellent vehicle, that is in great shape, where I have all of the necssary "extras" for it already, while having the added benefit and security of the vehicle still being covered under the original Mfgrs. warranty. My costs for this vehcle that essentially has all of the same features, for the most part as the BMW X5 M or a new 2010 M-B ML63 AMG, is just over half the cost of leasing or buying either new vehicle.

In 2013, I think I will finally be ready to get something new and enjoy whatever upgrades and refinements will be available from either Mercedes-Benz or BMW at that time. Then again, if my '07 ML63 is running fine in 2013.... hmmmm.

Anyone else here make a similar choice or not? Curious to hear your stories...

AVB-AMG
Old 03-04-2010, 03:43 PM

1992 500E, 2006 E500, 2007 GL 450
Bought an X5M in December. Went to the BMW dealer to look at the GT but the manager asked me to take a new X5M home for one night and tell him what I thought. The X5M in M sport mode was truly amazing to drive with fabulous acceleration and handling, seemingly impossible for a 5300 lb SUV. In normal settings the the ride is supple but well controlled. Ride was better than any ML 550 I've driven as well as the '07 GL which I traded in. The ride is far superior to a X5 4.8 which has always seemed flinty, bordering on harsh, to me. The effect of fender flairs and intercooler intakes is a bit "cartoonish" but I like it. Guys not into BMW's have told me that the M looks far nicer than a stock X5. IMO anyone looking at performance SUV's in the M price range should take an extended test drive in the X5M.
Old 03-24-2010, 03:27 PM

'07 CLS550, '10 BMW X5M, '10 Avalanche LTZ, '06 F-150 FX-4
Originally Posted by nantucketsleigh
The X5M in M sport mode was truly amazing to drive with fabulous acceleration and handling, seemingly impossible for a 5300 lb SUV. In normal settings the the ride is supple but well controlled.
I just got one last week (love it already!) and agree with you on those points.
Old 03-24-2010, 08:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

EFF YOU JACKIE
You guys mind discussing your M deals? Rates, pricing, and payment? ML's lease is up and looking at another SUV. Was liking the X5M..