ML55 AMG, ML63 AMG (W163, W164) 1999 - 2011 Two Generations

Whats Up Guys? Kickin The ML55 Idea Around...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-14-2011, 10:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
86 190E 2.3-16v, 92 500E, 03 CL55 AMG, 08 E3504M Brabus
Whats Up Guys? Kickin The ML55 Idea Around...

I'm kinda sorta looking at an 02 ML55 w/ 130k on the clock.

I don't know too much about it yet, but it seems 02's are better than 00-01's from what I've read, is that safe enough to rely on?

I know I'm bound for tranny problems, or at least that is what it looks like again based on reading some threads -- based on the miles alone, is this a problem waiting to happen?

I'm going to try to get the VIN and history - cosmetically the car looks pretty good -- I think I could get in the mid 7's, would that be a good deal if the car is in good shape?

Thanks
A
Old 02-16-2011, 01:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 ML55
Be ready to spend money on brakes, tires and motor mounts. I drive mine very hard and need to replace the brakes and motor mounts once a year. The truck is tons of fun and very fast. Triple check the service history and I don't recommend getting from a dealership.
The '02 interior was updated and they have the climate control. From what I understand, they also weigh a couple 100lbs more than the '00-'01.
I did have a problem with the head gaskets blowing, but never a problem with the tranny. As long as you change the fluids in the tranny once a year, you shouldn't have a problem.
Also, the resale is crap. Mid $7k sounds about right.
Old 03-18-2011, 08:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
PLAID
Originally Posted by AMGTestDriverNJ
I'm kinda sorta looking at an 02 ML55 w/ 130k on the clock.

I don't know too much about it yet, but it seems 02's are better than 00-01's from what I've read, is that safe enough to rely on?

I know I'm bound for tranny problems, or at least that is what it looks like again based on reading some threads -- based on the miles alone, is this a problem waiting to happen?

I'm going to try to get the VIN and history - cosmetically the car looks pretty good -- I think I could get in the mid 7's, would that be a good deal if the car is in good shape?

Thanks
A
Did you ever pick the ML55 up??