ML63 vs ML500(550)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-31-2012, 12:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Audi A4
ML63 vs ML500(550)

Hi guys,

First time writing a post at AMG discussion forum.
I have ordered 2013 ML500 (I'm in Australia) and will be built in late January. So I still have time to change my order.
I chose ML500 simply because ML350 was too slow for me and its price was good for V8 biturbo vehicle.

I have never driven any AMG vehicle until last week (I have been on my friend's 2010 E63 once though) when I test drove ML63. It was a beautiful car indeed!

Here in Australia, vehicles are more expensive than US. You pay around $130-140K for ML500 and ML63 costs around $180-$190K.

Many of my frineds were telling me to get ML63 simply because it's a great car and I will get much more out of it. I can afford to buy ML63 although it's more than what I budgeted for. I wouldn't call myself a big fan of fast vehicles but I enjoy driving good quality vehicles...

One side of me is telling me not to spend extra $40K for ML63 but then the other side of me is telling me that it's a great chance to buy an AMG vehicle. At the moment the finance interest rate is relatively low in Australia and ML is the one of only 3 AMGs(along wtih C63 and SLK55) which I can get for under $200K here in Australia so it's a good deal I guess.

For those of you driving ML63... Can I please ask what are your main reasons to buy this vehicle instead of ML500? What's so good about it? (I know that it's fast and fantastic but anything else that non-AMG owners will not understand/realize?)

Would you buy it again? Worth extra money?
Also... apart from the performance, are AMG vehicles better quality and more reliable?

Thank you!
Old 01-03-2013, 10:44 AM

ML63 AMG W166, CLK200K, ML320CDI
Originally Posted by otagomed
Hi guys,

First time writing a post at AMG discussion forum.
I have ordered 2013 ML500 (I'm in Australia) and will be built in late January. So I still have time to change my order.
I chose ML500 simply because ML350 was too slow for me and its price was good for V8 biturbo vehicle.

I have never driven any AMG vehicle until last week (I have been on my friend's 2010 E63 once though) when I test drove ML63. It was a beautiful car indeed!

Here in Australia, vehicles are more expensive than US. You pay around $130-140K for ML500 and ML63 costs around $180-$190K.

Many of my frineds were telling me to get ML63 simply because it's a great car and I will get much more out of it. I can afford to buy ML63 although it's more than what I budgeted for. I wouldn't call myself a big fan of fast vehicles but I enjoy driving good quality vehicles...

One side of me is telling me not to spend extra $40K for ML63 but then the other side of me is telling me that it's a great chance to buy an AMG vehicle. At the moment the finance interest rate is relatively low in Australia and ML is the one of only 3 AMGs(along wtih C63 and SLK55) which I can get for under $200K here in Australia so it's a good deal I guess.

For those of you driving ML63... Can I please ask what are your main reasons to buy this vehicle instead of ML500? What's so good about it? (I know that it's fast and fantastic but anything else that non-AMG owners will not understand/realize?)

Would you buy it again? Worth extra money?
Also... apart from the performance, are AMG vehicles better quality and more reliable?

Thank you!
I bought my first AMG (ML63 AMG) this year. I was looking to replace by current ML320 CDI and CLK with a new ML350 Diesel and another coupe, and then the ML63 AMG was announced. While where I live large engined cars are heavily taxed (the tax on the ML63 was the equivalent of a brand new E250 Coupe, or put it another way it was almost the same as ordering two ML350s) and did not even have a chance to drive one first (at the time I ordered in February 2012, RHD production did not even start), I nonetheless decided to go ahead with the ML63 so that I could combine "business with pleasure". I use the car both for work and family duties, and realised that what I wanted was a car happy to play the role of the comfy limo/family hold all when duties call, and characterful sports car when time allows. Took delivery 9 months later and have not regretted it for a moment. Brilliantly smooth and comfortable in town and on motorway, roaring fun on mountain passes and back roads. Manages to look discreet but purposeful at the same time. A true "Dr Jekyll & Mr Hyde" car. I tried it last weekend in Sport+ and it was simply brilliant. Rock solid, flat through the curves with a nice rear-biased set up but compliant suspension, brilliant engine and gearbox, it could not have been better. Puts a smile on your face every time and, most importantly, makes you feel good/ that you are driving something special.
Old 01-03-2013, 11:52 AM

Audi A4
Thank you for your comments.
Same here about tax. The tax I am paying for this vehicle will be almost same as C180 or something similar!

It's good to hear that ML63 is suitable for both business and pleasure because that is exactly a car I want!

Can I please ask you what colour you've chosen for paint and interior leather?
I am thinking of diamond white with porcelain designo leather.
I am seeing my dealer tomorrow and will discuss more about ml500 vs ml63 and make thr decision!

Thanks again for your comments!

Originally Posted by clk200
I bought my first AMG (ML63 AMG) this year. I was looking to replace by current ML320 CDI and CLK with a new ML350 Diesel and another coupe, and then the ML63 AMG was announced. While where I live large engined cars are heavily taxed (the tax on the ML63 was the equivalent of a brand new E250 Coupe, or put it another way it was almost the same as ordering two ML350s) and did not even have a chance to drive one first (at the time I ordered in February 2012, RHD production did not even start), I nonetheless decided to go ahead with the ML63 so that I could combine "business with pleasure". I use the car both for work and family duties, and realised that what I wanted was a car happy to play the role of the comfy limo/family hold all when duties call, and characterful sports car when time allows. Took delivery 9 months later and have not regretted it for a moment. Brilliantly smooth and comfortable in town and on motorway, roaring fun on mountain passes and back roads. Manages to look discreet but purposeful at the same time. A true "Dr Jekyll & Mr Hyde" car. I tried it last weekend in Sport+ and it was simply brilliant. Rock solid, flat through the curves with a nice rear-biased set up but compliant suspension, brilliant engine and gearbox, it could not have been better. Puts a smile on your face every time and, most importantly, makes you feel good/ that you are driving something special.
Old 01-03-2013, 11:58 AM

Audi A4
Just read what colour you've chosen from other posts lol.

How do you find porcelain designo leather?
Old 01-03-2013, 12:27 PM

997tt, ML63
The powertrain on the new ML63 is astounding. The transmission behavior is actually more astounding than the engine itself. It's nearly telepathic in its ability to upshift and downshift. The manual mode is lame but you would never use it other than to get out of snow (for those in Australia, it's a kind of a cold white matter that causes you to slide and not being able to brake on summer tires).

The new ML63 is a wonderful marriage of German engineering, Italian fit and finish, and Scandinavian practicality. It's well engineered, beautifully crafted, and easy to use. Just perfect for an SUV.

I would recommend you order AMG powerpack, black designo leather, black lacquer and black suede headliner. Skip all other options.

P.S. The 21" wheels are beautiful and the ride is actually very comfortable on them but they are very heavy and hide those awesomely massive brakes. I will address that with lighter HRE TR45 wheels.

Last edited by Alex.M; 01-03-2013 at 12:32 PM.
Old 01-03-2013, 02:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts
99 ML430, 01 CLK55, 07 R63, 15 E63 Wagon
The difference between the top line V8 and an AMG is quite large. The drive responsiveness and dynamics behind the wheel really make it a driver's car compared to a non AMG which is more like a regular car. The AMGs just have so much more personality to it. The exhaust note is also another big plus to the AMGs if you're into that sort of thing.

Other additional appointments on previous gen AMGs is that you couldn't get on non AMG models were Nappa Leather which is far superior to the regular leather AMG offers- but that's not something you have to worry about any more since you can get the Designo package on non AMGs.

In regards to cost, even over here in the states an AMG is pretty much double the price of the base car. We just get the luxury of no luxury tax.

I guess the question is, if you do order the ML500, do you think you'll be having buyer's remorse wishing you had more car. If you think you'll be perfectly content with the 500, then why not. But if you have that itch or that want to explore the AMG then go for it.
Old 01-03-2013, 03:27 PM
GMW

2013 ML63 AMG PP
I was pretty much in the same boat deciding on whether an ML500 will do as I wanted more power than the already brilliant ML350, which i drove for a month. However my soon to be gone :-( C63 spoiled me in the power AND sound department making me long for a replacement vehicle that would be both practical and very sporty (like the C63) hence my decision to go all the way with the ML63.

I've come to realize that once one starts driving AMGs you get hooked. It really takes the whole driving experience to another level! I hope to receive it before Easter and will post a super long review and pics once I do. Sorry I can't comment on its drive but at least you get a glimpse into my thought process to select it.
Old 01-04-2013, 06:26 AM

ML63 AMG W166, CLK200K, ML320CDI
Originally Posted by otagomed
Just read what colour you've chosen from other posts lol.

How do you find porcelain designo leather?
I have two boys (7 and 9 years old) and I have no problem keeping it clean, which says a lot!
Old 01-06-2013, 03:35 AM

Audi A4
Thanks everyone.
After reading your comments, I decided to buy ML63 AMG.
There is one coming to Australia later this month which has same options as I requested. (Diamond white painting and panoramic sunroof) Most other itmes are standard on ML63 in Australia.

The vehicle will have black designo leather. I wanted to try porcelain white but that means I have to wait extra 4-5 months plus pay extra $2000 as this will be a new order and 2013 pricing applies.

I never thought about buying AMG vehicle until recently but I feel that I should be driving AMG at some stage in my life and this is probably the best time to buy this vehicle as the interest rate on financing is relatively low at the moment.

Thanks again everyone. Your comments convinced me to choose ML63. You guys should get some commission from MB Australia!
Old 01-06-2013, 05:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Great! Please share your experiences once it comes.

Do you already have a cool license plate lined up?
Old 01-06-2013, 06:58 AM

Audi A4
Haven't even thought about that yet!
I thought that it's all over now and don't need to think about the vehicle at least for now but you're giving me another thing to think about.

Originally Posted by xxGenericSNxx
Great! Please share your experiences once it comes.

Do you already have a cool license plate lined up?
Old 01-06-2013, 03:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I only brought it up because when I went to Australia I remember seeing so many nice cars with cool plates. Now you've got a cool car, you've got to get a cool plate!
Old 01-07-2013, 03:01 AM

Audi A4
Yeah. There are some nice looking plates here in Victoria, Australia.
One that I like is euro-plate. Similar design to what they use in Europe obviously.

They also have many other types of plates including US style plates.
Try the link below if you want to have a look.

http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/Home/...Custom+Plates/
I only brought it up because when I went to Australia I remember seeing so many nice cars with cool plates. Now you've got a cool car, you've got to get a cool plate!
Old 01-07-2013, 05:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I'm quite jealous that you Aussies get so many different styles of plates. I love the newer European ones that recently got introduced there and I like the standard black ones that are very small.
Old 01-08-2013, 05:40 AM

Audi A4
I thought America also got many stylish plates.
Well... at the end of the day... you guys get vehicles at such a low price!
I will rather have that than our stylish plates!

I'm quite jealous that you Aussies get so
many different styles of plates. I love the newer European ones that recently got introduced there and I like the standard black ones that are very small.