ML55 AMG, ML63 AMG (W163, W164) 1999 - 2011 Two Generations

"Check Engine" went off....baffled.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-20-2013, 06:07 PM

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts
New, old Mercedes and REAL AMG's.
"Check Engine" went off....baffled.

So I'm enjoying my ML63 thru the tweasties of the NC Blue Ridge Parkway, chasing BMW bikes and laughing like a maniac as they unsuccsefully try to get rid of this black MB SUV loaded to the roof with luggage and mountain bikes.....

....suddenly, the white line on my right dissapears (a washout due to heavy rain probably) and the entire right side of my ML falls in the ditch....my wife screaming with the edge of the cliff getting closer as I struggle to keep The Beast (my car, not the wife) in line while everything shakes like a m....well you get the idea.

We came out of the ditch in one piece, still running at 65mph right on the tail of the BMW bikes (credits to the stability of our cars).

Kept chasing those bikes for another 15 minutes and the "Check Engine" light went off! So I let them go and stopped Immediately. Check the undrrcarriage and could not find any scrapes or signs of any type of leaks.

Radiator fluid was topped off (just got service B done at stealership two weeks ago). I did notice my oil level was slightly low but as I understand, it is quite normal. Since the service was done 1300 miles ago right before we left Florida, I added an extra quarter of Mobil 1 but the light would not go away.

Kept checking for leaks but nothing was observed.

Finally, I took the car to the carwash as it was extremely muddy as a result of us getting lost in the mountains looking for mountain bike trails.

As I drive away in my shiny Benz, the light dissapeared!

Any idea of what could have triggered it? Was my car just telling me that it needed a good scrub?

I'm baffled....

OTHER THAN THAT, THIS CAR IS AWESOME!!! I have seen ML's kicking butt at the drag strip but this beast has so much potential.

YES, tires are not really for offroading, but if you take it easy, it feels like the ML63 can take you to the end of the world....while chasing the hell of BMW bikes.
Old 06-20-2013, 09:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 ML63 AMG
Nice story! Sounds like a fun adventure with the mtn. bike trails and then the twisties. I totally agree that these things are awesome. I've taken this wheeling down into my steep vineyard properties and over some decent rocky sections with no problems and then race up the twisty mountain roads with ease. Always amazes my friends when I step on it and it stays level and secure on the tight turns, etc. Handles very well for a big car.

Regarding your CEL. Not sure what could have caused that. Could have been sensors going crazy with a number of systems. Who knows, maybe your oil jumping around caused a drop in pressure or maybe your gas moving around too much due to the drop caused your pump to suck up nothing but air momentarily? Could be a million different things. It should have a stored code if it threw a CEL. Good thing you guys were safe and the ESP nannies did their job. Been there done that, its a scary couple of seconds when you hit loose gravel at high speeds.

My CEL pops on and off every couple of weeks and I'm always driving hard on mountain roads. But I attribute it to the charcoal filter delete and aFe air filters. Dealer kept saying it was from an intake manifold leak and maybe someday I'll get that repaired but for now it drives fine and keeps going away so I'm not too concerned just yet.
Old 06-20-2013, 10:15 PM

Originally Posted by Rippin'AV
Nice story! Sounds like a fun adventure with the mtn. bike trails and then the twisties. I totally agree that these things are awesome. I've taken this wheeling down into my steep vineyard properties and over some decent rocky sections with no problems and then race up the twisty mountain roads with ease. Always amazes my friends when I step on it and it stays level and secure on the tight turns, etc. Handles very well for a big car.

Regarding your CEL. Not sure what could have caused that. Could have been sensors going crazy with a number of systems. Who knows, maybe your oil jumping around caused a drop in pressure or maybe your gas moving around too much due to the drop caused your pump to suck up nothing but air momentarily? Could be a million different things. It should have a stored code if it threw a CEL. Good thing you guys were safe and the ESP nannies did their job. Been there done that, its a scary couple of seconds when you hit loose gravel at high speeds.

My CEL pops on and off every couple of weeks and I'm always driving hard on mountain roads. But I attribute it to the charcoal filter delete and aFe air filters. Dealer kept saying it was from an intake manifold leak and maybe someday I'll get that repaired but for now it drives fine and keeps going away so I'm not too concerned just yet.
Thank you for the input! You're right about the beauty of these cars, they invite you to push the limits, while at the same time, taking care of you if things get hairy. I seriously hope they fix that hole before someone gets hurt or worse.

A couple of good points with the sensors getting possibly nervous after the "two seconds of terror" we experienced this morning. I will keep an eye on it and will have the dealer look into it if it ever comes back.

Just came back from the parking lot of the B&B where we're staying. No leaks and oil continues to be topped off. As it looks, we are ready for the long drive back to FL tomorrow morning.

It should be "cruising" mode....unless of course, my foot gets heavier again....oh well....
Old 06-21-2013, 04:48 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Mercedes Evo II
Really awesome story thanks for sharing!!

What year is your ml? Is your ml engine modified?
Old 06-21-2013, 05:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2010 C63 Estate
I will say one thing. Ever since i installed K&N Filters, i get the CEL periodically. Stays on for a day or so, then turns off for weeks.
I plugged it up to Star, and the stored code was 0745-
Self Adaption of mixture formation for enrichment at idle for the right cylinder bank is above permissible limit (P2187)

But it comes & goes.

I can say its only happened since installing hi flow air filters
Old 06-21-2013, 06:31 AM

Originally Posted by EVOII_Racer
Really awesome story thanks for sharing!!

What year is your ml? Is your ml engine modified?
Thanks EVO!

Mine is a 2010 with 25k miles on it (it had 23k a week ago). Completely stock, although seriously tempted to do an ECU upgrade in the future (maybe Renntech? Not sure). A resonator delete is also in my near future plans.

I must say however, that this car has started to sound much meaner since I've taken it on the roadtrip. It is like the engine is more "alive". It is not a daily driver, so I guess the open road and the motorcycle chasing games have ARGUABLY woken her up from her weekend go-to-the-mall duties.

I got some cool pictures that I would like to post. As soon as I figure out how to.
Old 06-21-2013, 06:34 AM

Originally Posted by AMG893
I will say one thing. Ever since i installed K&N Filters, i get the CEL periodically. Stays on for a day or so, then turns off for weeks.
I plugged it up to Star, and the stored code was 0745-
Self Adaption of mixture formation for enrichment at idle for the right cylinder bank is above permissible limit (P2187)

But it comes & goes.

I can say its only happened since installing hi flow air filters
For what I have read in this forum, aftermarket filters can do that sometimes, specially the "wet" ones such as KN.
Old 06-24-2013, 05:12 AM

Mercedes Evo II
Originally Posted by MercsDude
For what I have read in this forum, aftermarket filters can do that sometimes, specially the "wet" ones such as KN.
Yup very good point...
Does happen on my heavy modifed c55
Old 06-24-2013, 12:28 PM

Well, I drove her back to SW Florida and never saw the CEL again. Total of 1300 miles in this last leg without a single issue.....well, other than my wife calling me out in regards to the weight of my right foot. God this car is fun!
Old 06-25-2013, 05:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 ML63 AMG
Originally Posted by MercsDude
Mine goes on for a few days then is off for a while. I have aFe DRY filters but I think its from the charcoal delete. Some are more sensitive than others.

OP, glad you're enjoying the ML and keeping your "heavy" right foot busyI'm pretty sure I suffer from the same condition.

Cheers,
AV
Old 06-25-2013, 07:47 PM

Mercedes Evo II
Cool

My friends bought a machine that can Read the error codes...
Did you guys ever tried that?

Btw the error message stays inside th computer for a while...it might be worth checking next time you go for a service..
Old 06-25-2013, 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by Rippin'AV

OP, glad you're enjoying the ML and keeping your "heavy" right foot busyI'm pretty sure I suffer from the same condition.

Cheers,
AV
I believe that this so called "condition" is very common around here....SPECIALLY with AMG folks.

As they say "pictures or it never happened" I will post a few of the roadtrip on a different thread, hope I can figure this thing out.

Originally Posted by EVOII_Racer
My friends bought a machine that can Read the error codes...
Did you guys ever tried that?

Btw the error message stays inside th computer for a while...it might be worth checking next time you go for a service..
I have not tried hooking her up to anything yet, although I do plan to have the dealer look into it on the next service (which happen to be "F", which I believe it stands up or F**ckng Expensive, ...we will see).