Front Diff bearing failure 3rd time

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-01-2023, 04:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2006 R350, 2011 S550
Front Diff bearing failure 3rd time

Hi,
This issue concerns 2006 R350. Since it is also applicable to the larger population ML, I hope I am okay to post here.
I owned the car in 2017. I rebuilt the front diff bearing with ones purchased over Ebay from USA from a vendor on this forum. I thought this fix is for life. However, after about 4 years in 2021 (25k km), I started hearing the diff humming noise at low speed. I replaced the bearing in summer 2023 after about (40k km and 6 years on the bearing). I replaced with Timken bearing from UK this time. And now after less than 6 month, I started hearing the diff humming noise at low speed and it seems I have to go though this fix a third time.
I am looking for expertise opinion on this. Should I rebuilt the front diff again or buy a used one. If to go with a used one, any specific model/year to avoid. Is their a good or bad batch of front diff like the engine harmonic balance issue? Also, what is the failure rate of these diff, like all R or ML or GL will have to go through this fix in their lifetime?
your thoughts are appreciated.
Old 12-02-2023, 08:35 PM

Received 148 Likes on 96 Posts
ML 63 AMG
Originally Posted by Fares;[url=tel:8885896
8885896[/url]]Hi,
This issue concerns 2006 R350. Since it is also applicable to the larger population ML, I hope I am okay to post here.
I owned the car in 2017. I rebuilt the front diff bearing with ones purchased over Ebay from USA from a vendor on this forum. I thought this fix is for life. However, after about 4 years in 2021 (25k km), I started hearing the diff humming noise at low speed. I replaced the bearing in summer 2023 after about (40k km and 6 years on the bearing). I replaced with Timken bearing from UK this time. And now after less than 6 month, I started hearing the diff humming noise at low speed and it seems I have to go though this fix a third time.
I am looking for expertise opinion on this. Should I rebuilt the front diff again or buy a used one. If to go with a used one, any specific model/year to avoid. Is their a good or bad batch of front diff like the engine harmonic balance issue? Also, what is the failure rate of these diff, like all R or ML or GL will have to go through this fix in their lifetime?
your thoughts are appreciated.
Are the defective bearings heavily pitted or any other signs of damage? I’m assuming you’re running the OEM diff fluid (or one that meats spec). I’d tend towards thinking your installation of the new bearings might have not been spot on…excessive preload can cause issues I believe.
Old 12-02-2023, 09:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2006 R350, 2011 S550
The rebuild was completed by my mechanic. We only replaced the two carrier bearings as pinion bearing are still good. He mentioned that one was pretty destroyed and other was bad as well. We used Royal Purple 75w90 as recommended in a post in this forum.
Would you think a new used diff is better to eliminate any past mistakes during installation?

Last edited by Fares; 12-02-2023 at 09:28 PM.
Old 12-02-2023, 09:59 PM

Received 148 Likes on 96 Posts
ML 63 AMG
Originally Posted by Fares;[url=tel:8886470
8886470]The rebuild was completed by my mechanic. We only replaced the two carrier bearings as pinion bearing are still good. He mentioned that one was pretty destroyed and other was bad as well. We used Royal Purple 75w90 as recommended in a post in this forum.
Would you think a new used diff is better to eliminate any past mistakes during installation?
I’ve used Royal Purple 75w90 in other non-MB diffs and it was great. Agree that it’s not likely a fluid issue and RP does indeed recommend it for our vehicles according to the selection tool on their website.

So certain mechanics are better at some things than others. Guys that know fuel injection systems might not be able to fab an exhaust system. So on that note, I’d guess I’d be curious how good at setting up diffs your mechanic is. If he’s not checking preload and backlash then I suspect that’s why you’re having issues. And I’m not knocking him…I’m not any good at it either…but I have access to people that are…so I pay them lol So I guess my advice is to find a guy who KNOWS how to setup a diff. If your mechanic is a good dude and generally does good work, but maybe isn’t a diff expert, then find a good used one and have him swap that in.

Hope that helps.
The following 2 users liked this post by Joshinator99:
C43 Fun Haver (12-09-2023), Jeeped60 (12-27-2023)