ML63 AMG (W166) 2011 -2015 (Replaced by GLE63)

New 2013 ml63 owner mixed emotions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-04-2018, 01:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ml63 2013
New 2013 ml63 owner mixed emotions

On the upside, super happy about my first amg vehicle, the ml 63 is a beast.
Think I got a good deal, bought a 2013 ml 63 amg in December 2017 as certified pre owned from mb dealer with 80000km. Previous owner had got the extended warranty so still have 2 years of warranty, 1year almost full and last year motor and transmission, ohh and I didn’t need to pay for it.

On the down side, I already had to use the warranty.

1st problem- Car would not shift into gear, and the turn signal would not always work, they changed some control parts, all is good now for the shifting.
2nd problem- Car seemed unstable, they changed some sensors and some tie rods.

3rd problem- didn’t go to the dealer yet, but would like to get the opinion of others before I go.
There seems to be some, mild jerking feeling when the car down shift from 3rd to 2nd gear.

4th problem- don’t know if it’s actually a problem, but I find that on a cold start it revs loud for about 20 secs, before calming down to a normal rev.

Also, all this makes me think that certified pre owned, means nothing, I have had the car flow about 1month with almost equal time in the shop.

not to mention my customer service from the salesman was horrible.

Any thoughts or advice?
Thanks! Also will try to post some pics of the car as soon as I can get it clean, not an easy task with winter.

Old 02-05-2018, 05:45 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
W213 E63s
Originally Posted by BillClap

3rd problem- didn’t go to the dealer yet, but would like to get the opinion of others before I go.
There seems to be some, mild jerking feeling when the car down shift from 3rd to 2nd gear.

4th problem- don’t know if it’s actually a problem, but I find that on a cold start it revs loud for about 20 secs, before calming down to a normal rev.

Also, all this makes me think that certified pre owned, means nothing, I have had the car flow about 1month with almost equal time in the shop.

Any thoughts or advice?
Thanks! Also will try to post some pics of the car as soon as I can get it clean, not an easy task with winter.

First, congrats. Its an amazingly well-engineered vehicle, and full throttle will bring a smile to anyone's face.

Harsh 3 --> 2 downshifts seem somewhat common. When I was looking to purcahse, quite a few I drove had a similar issue. Question, is it only harsh in comfort mode? Mine is a bit harsh in comfort but smooth in sport mode. A dealer told me its normal...
I assume since the vehicle has a new trans, you don't yet need a service. Do you know how many miles on the trans?

Cold starts usually result in raised idle for 20ish seconds, completely normal.
Old 02-11-2018, 09:58 AM

Received 106 Likes on 90 Posts
2014 Mercedes-Benz GL63 AMG
3rd and 4th issue are normal. The 7 speed isn’t the smoothest but used to handle the extra power and torque.

Think I got a good deal, bought a 2013 ml 63 amg in December 2017 as certified pre owned from mb dealer with 80000km. Previous owner had got the extended warranty so still have 2 years of warranty, 1year almost full and last year motor and transmission, ohh and I didn’t need to pay for it.

1st problem- Car would not shift into gear, and the turn signal would not always work, they changed some control parts, all is good now for the shifting.

Any thoughts or advice?

Old 02-12-2018, 12:49 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2019 GLC63 and 2018 Jeep Trackhawk

Any thoughts or advice?

So I just bought a 2014, the on the cold start does rev and what you are experiencing is normal. I actually wish that it was that loud always. They sell a downpipe with high flow cats that will increase the rev volume dramatically. the mild jerking could be caused by your lane keeping assist. I had to shut it off because it was annoying.
Old 02-12-2018, 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by scottiekay
So I just bought a 2014, the on the cold start does rev and what you are experiencing is normal. I actually wish that it was that loud always. They sell a downpipe with high flow cats that will increase the rev volume dramatically. the mild jerking could be caused by your lane keeping assist. I had to shut it off because it was annoying.
I have a supersprint midpipe that removes the resonators and that improves the sound a lot with no drone.

I also have a Brabus exhaust that improves the sound even further - I recommend both!
Old 02-12-2018, 02:56 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2019 GLC63 and 2018 Jeep Trackhawk
quick question where did you get the super sprint mid pipe from, looks like there website is not in us dollars? also, the resonator delete is something I want to do. If I just do that only how much better is the sound and would there be drone with the stock exhaust?
Old 02-12-2018, 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by scottiekay
quick question where did you get the super sprint mid pipe from, looks like there website is not in us dollars? also, the resonator delete is something I want to do. If I just do that only how much better is the sound and would there be drone with the stock exhaust?
You have to call and special order from https://www.ecstuning.com/ they are the official supplier in the USA. It took me a few weeks to get from Italy.

No drone. How much better is subjective, but for me, it's 2x better than with resonator. The cheaper option is just cut out the resonator and replace with straight pipes, but I didn't want to do any cutting. Any exhaust shop can do that in 1-2 hours. Just be sure they use stainless steel tubing.
Old 02-15-2018, 09:39 PM

2012 ML63 with P30 package

Any thoughts or advice?

your 3rd and 4th concerns are normal. i had my ML63 for a little over a week before it spent 5 weeks at the dealer getting new cam sensors, engine wiring harness, O2 sensors and a passenger side turbo.....all covered under my extended warranty!!!
Old 02-16-2018, 08:30 AM

Ml63 2013
Originally Posted by NickTheStick
First, congrats. Its an amazingly well-engineered vehicle, and full throttle will bring a smile to anyone's face.

Harsh 3 --> 2 downshifts seem somewhat common. When I was looking to purcahse, quite a few I drove had a similar issue. Question, is it only harsh in comfort mode? Mine is a bit harsh in comfort but smooth in sport mode. A dealer told me its normal...
I assume since the vehicle has a new trans, you don't yet need a service. Do you know how many miles on the trans?

Cold starts usually result in raised idle for 20ish seconds, completely normal.
Thanks for the reply!
The trans is still the original, it now has 84000km
I finally, brought it to the dealer to see what they could do about it, they updated the software for the transmission, it help for a 2 days, then it started to do it again.
Old 02-16-2018, 08:32 AM

Ml63 2013
Originally Posted by Kayos77
your 3rd and 4th concerns are normal. i had my ML63 for a little over a week before it spent 5 weeks at the dealer getting new cam sensors, engine wiring harness, O2 sensors and a passenger side turbo.....all covered under my extended warranty!!!
What where they symptoms you had to get all that changed, and did it help?
Old 02-16-2018, 08:35 AM

Ml63 2013
Originally Posted by Chedman13
I have a supersprint midpipe that removes the resonators and that improves the sound a lot with no drone.

I also have a Brabus exhaust that improves the sound even further - I recommend both!
Nice, if you don’t mind me asking, what is the rough total price for the mods?

And do you think you can send a sound link?
Old 02-17-2018, 07:42 PM

2012 ML63 with P30 package

What where they symptoms you had to get all that changed, and did it help?
my check engine light came on. code was for an O2 sensor. when they looked into it more, it was oil migration through the cam sensors and harness and it shorted out the ECU. they had to drop the motor to get part of the harness out and thats when they noticed the turbo fan blades were damaged. after all was said and done, extended warranty paid just under $11,000 for repairs!!