ML63 AMG (W166) 2011 -2015 (Replaced by GLE63)

M157 Driver (US) Side Intake Cam Magnet Replacement SOLVED

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-30-2022, 07:51 PM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
2008 S63
M157 Driver Side (US) Intake Cam Magnet Replacement SOLVED

As some of you may know, the cam magnet replacement on the M157 doesn't seem too difficult until you get to the Left Driver (US) side and you'll find the intake magnet is almost impossible to remove. This is due to the AMG oil filter housing and oil lines in the way. This is not the case for the M278. I was told this job was booked at several hours than one would expect due to all the disassembly involved which included the oil filter housing and possibly the thermostat. After weeks of looking at it i gathered my tools and took a crack at it. I hope this helps anyone who has also ran into this problem.

I first grabbed an E Torx wrench which i ground down until very thin and flat to fit in between the oil lines and sensor.

I removed the oil filter. Then I carefully disconnected the oil lines from the oil filter housing and lifted them out ever so slightly. Then after getting the bottom bolt out i was able to tug on the sensor itself with some needle nose and it popped out. Replacing it was a different story. The sensor would simply not slide into place. I then figured id have to shave away just a little of material from the bottom outer section of the oil lines. i covered up any exposure and began to grind way only needing to remove a tiny bit of material in order for the sensor to slip in.

The final issue was getting the bottom bolt back in. So i decided to grind it down about halfway and it was placed into the bottom bolt location with ease. "Torqued" them all down 4NM and continued to the other side.

Last edited by Zerocarpileup; 03-30-2022 at 09:11 PM.
Old 04-07-2022, 07:56 PM

Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts
W203 C230, W210 E350, W166 ML63
Originally Posted by Zerocarpileup
As some of you may know, the cam magnet replacement on the M157 doesn't seem too difficult until you get to the Left Driver (US) side and you'll find the intake magnet is almost impossible to remove. This is due to the AMG oil filter housing and oil lines in the way. This is not the case for the M278. I was told this job was booked at several hours than one would expect due to all the disassembly involved which included the oil filter housing and possibly the thermostat. After weeks of looking at it i gathered my tools and took a crack at it. I hope this helps anyone who has also ran into this problem.

I first grabbed an E Torx wrench which i ground down until very thin and flat to fit in between the oil lines and sensor.

I removed the oil filter. Then I carefully disconnected the oil lines from the oil filter housing and lifted them out ever so slightly. Then after getting the bottom bolt out i was able to tug on the sensor itself with some needle nose and it popped out. Replacing it was a different story. The sensor would simply not slide into place. I then figured id have to shave away just a little of material from the bottom outer section of the oil lines. i covered up any exposure and began to grind way only needing to remove a tiny bit of material in order for the sensor to slip in.

The final issue was getting the bottom bolt back in. So i decided to grind it down about halfway and it was placed into the bottom bolt location with ease. "Torqued" them all down 4NM and continued to the other side.
Great work, but I wonder what the WIS says for replacement. I imagine that it would not say to shave material from oil lines and cam mag bolts.

Last edited by PeteyV; 04-07-2022 at 07:59 PM.
Old 04-07-2022, 07:58 PM

@chassis Can you enlighten us and provide the WIS for cam magnet replacement on the W166 M157 when you get a chance?
The following users liked this post:
chassis (04-07-2022)
Old 04-07-2022, 09:09 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 3,930 Likes on 3,095 Posts
2017 GLE350 4MATIC
@PeteyV sadly my WIS is not running since the change to Apple M1 silicon. I haven't found a workaround yet other than a new Windows laptop. I'm not against that but haven't had the time for it.

Maybe ​​​​​​@konigstiger or @S. Madman or @ghlkal can help.

I would have removed the oil filter housing, but whatever gets the job done, gets the job done.
PeteyV (04-11-2022)
Old 04-11-2022, 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by chassis
@PeteyV sadly my WIS is not running since the change to Apple M1 silicon. I haven't found a workaround yet other than a new Windows laptop. I'm not against that but haven't had the time for it.

Maybe ​​​​​​@konigstiger or @S. Madman or @ghlkal can help.

I would have removed the oil filter housing, but whatever gets the job done, gets the job done.
No worries my friend! Thanks for following up and asking some other guys if they have it.
chassis (04-11-2022)