ML63 AMG (W166) 2011 -2015 (Replaced by GLE63)

1 year ownership update

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-13-2023, 01:46 AM

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts
2015 ML63
1 year ownership update

Have owned my 2015 ML63 (stock, 59k miles) for one year now and no major issues encountered so far. Awesome vehicle, I absolutely love it, but as expected they are not cheap cars to own and maintain to a reasonable standard. Here's my list of repairs for the last year with only 3k miles traveled:

Engine struggling to crank
Replaced main battery

Check engine light on
Replaced O2 sensor

Coolant leak #1
Replaced thermostat, water pump, coolant flush and replaced related seals/gaskets

Coolant leak #2 and minor oil sump leak
Replaced lower timing cover, all turbo coolant lines, coolant, engine oil/filter, active curve oil, resealed sump and all timing covers, any related seals/gaskets replaced

(Coolant leak #2 is the same as point 3 described here: https://tuningpro.co/the-5-most-comm...gine-problems/)

Steering column height adjustment stopped working
Lubricated height adjustment shaft

Preventative maintenance
Replaced both air intake hoses (fabric starting to fall apart)
Replaced all cam position sensors (found oil in all four connectors)
Added cam solenoid/magnet sacrificial harnesses (connectors not leaking yet)
Replaced front differential fluid (rear replaced 25k miles ago)
Replaced transfer case fluid

Regular maintenance
Replaced brake fluid
Replaced air intake filters
Replaced all cabin air filters
Replaced front/rear rotors and pads
Replaced front/rear wiper blades
Replaced key fob battery

Next year spark plugs are due, I'll probably replace the coils and boots at the same time. Apart from another oil/filter change I'm hoping not much else requires attention!
The following 3 users liked this post by jcarsnz:
AMG1312 (08-15-2023), C43 Fun Haver (06-13-2023), chassis (06-13-2023)
Old 06-13-2023, 05:17 AM

Received 292 Likes on 232 Posts
2010 ML550 VIN WDC1641722A564750, 2010 B180
Your maintenance schedule looks very much like mine. Youmight want to add to the list your PCV setup to ensure its not leaking oil into your intake. Other than that, looks like you've got it nailed.
The following users liked this post:
chassis (06-13-2023)
Old 06-16-2023, 04:19 AM

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts
Too many to list
Mine is also a 2015 but has 65K miles w/ a stage 2 + TCU tune. Since ownership, in which I've driven 25K miles in the 5 years I've own, my repair/maintenance list is almost a duplicate of yours. The only 2 things I replaced that are not on your list is the radiator and spark plugs. And surprisingly, I'm still on the original batteries (main/auxiliary) that came with car from the factory. I've gone through a set of continental DW06 and michelin ps a/s tires as well. Now, on michelin ps 4s tires but they're wearing down fast so another $2k coming soon. Other than those mentioned, solid vehicle so far.
The following users liked this post:
chassis (06-16-2023)
Old 06-17-2023, 11:27 PM

2015 ML63
Thanks for the tip @BlackML550.

I also had the recall done recently for water intrusion into the wheel well, no issues found, water drain grommet was retrofitted.

I replaced the four CPS's and added the magnet pigtails about a month ago but didn't get around to checking the ECU plugs. Had a look today and discovered the larger of the two plugs had traces of oil and on the pins of the ECU, wouldn't say it was soaked (unlike the CPS connectors) but clearly engine oil was visible everywhere. Kind of crazy to see first hand. Applied CRC contact cleaner liberally to both sides then blew out with compressed air.
Old 06-27-2023, 11:29 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
‘14 ML63, ‘11 E63, ‘05 M3
Sounds like my experience at 100K miles. In addition, I replaced the Oil filter housing due to pressure valve cap leaking oil.
Old 08-15-2023, 11:16 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
W204 c300 4matic cdi
Originally Posted by jcarsnz
Have owned my 2015 ML63 (stock, 59k miles) for one year now and no major issues encountered so far. Awesome vehicle, I absolutely love it, but as expected they are not cheap cars to own and maintain to a reasonable standard. Here's my list of repairs for the last year with only 3k miles traveled:

Engine struggling to crank
Replaced main battery

Check engine light on
Replaced O2 sensor

Coolant leak #1
Replaced thermostat, water pump, coolant flush and replaced related seals/gaskets

Coolant leak #2 and minor oil sump leak
Replaced lower timing cover, all turbo coolant lines, coolant, engine oil/filter, active curve oil, resealed sump and all timing covers, any related seals/gaskets replaced

(Coolant leak #2 is the same as point 3 described here: https://tuningpro.co/the-5-most-comm...gine-problems/)

Steering column height adjustment stopped working
Lubricated height adjustment shaft

Preventative maintenance
Replaced both air intake hoses (fabric starting to fall apart)
Replaced all cam position sensors (found oil in all four connectors)
Added cam solenoid/magnet sacrificial harnesses (connectors not leaking yet)
Replaced front differential fluid (rear replaced 25k miles ago)
Replaced transfer case fluid

Regular maintenance
Replaced brake fluid
Replaced air intake filters
Replaced all cabin air filters
Replaced front/rear rotors and pads
Replaced front/rear wiper blades
Replaced key fob battery

Next year spark plugs are due, I'll probably replace the coils and boots at the same time. Apart from another oil/filter change I'm hoping not much else requires attention!
Hey bro!
Im planning on bying that model (w166 ml63 year 2013l
so i wanted to know a few things.

How much did all those thing cost? (All the maintenance that you listed in the 1st year)
and what is the real fuel economy in city if you do 50/50
(50 % kick downs 50 % normal calm driving)

Last edited by AMG1312; 08-15-2023 at 11:30 PM.
Old 08-16-2023, 06:11 AM

2015 ML63
Hey, I assume you are US based? I'm in New Zealand so might be hard to compare prices between countries due to so many variables involved. Our exchange rate is horrible at the moment, and your parts will be cheaper compared to what we have to pay, but our hourly labor rates might be better.

The big ticket job was replacing the lower timing cover, luckily it was covered by the dealer. That was roughly $4500 USD and completed by the local MB dealer - not a quick job and involved a number of additional parts replaced at the same time (e.g. turbo coolant lines).

Replacing the thermostat/water pump/O2 sensor was also covered by the dealer, I think that was about $2k USD.

I had all rotors/pads (Brembo) replaced at my local indy for $1.8k USD. That's probably a horrible price for the US, but much cheaper than the local MB quote I received.

Everything else was rather inexpensive, I did a lot myself with parts from FCP Euro (e.g. Cam Sensors, Air Filters, Intake Hoses etc).

Can't really comment on fuel economy, I don't daily my ML63, I have no idea what mileage I'm getting but compared to other V8's I've owned (e.g. LS1's) I don't think it's bad at all. The tank is huge, and obviously demands the best premium fuel.
The following 2 users liked this post by jcarsnz:
C43 Fun Haver (08-16-2023), chassis (08-16-2023)
Old 08-16-2023, 12:40 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
W204 c300 4matic cdi
Originally Posted by jcarsnz
Hey, I assume you are US based? I'm in New Zealand so might be hard to compare prices between countries due to so many variables involved. Our exchange rate is horrible at the moment, and your parts will be cheaper compared to what we have to pay, but our hourly labor rates might be better.

The big ticket job was replacing the lower timing cover, luckily it was covered by the dealer. That was roughly $4500 USD and completed by the local MB dealer - not a quick job and involved a number of additional parts replaced at the same time (e.g. turbo coolant lines).

Replacing the thermostat/water pump/O2 sensor was also covered by the dealer, I think that was about $2k USD.

I had all rotors/pads (Brembo) replaced at my local indy for $1.8k USD. That's probably a horrible price for the US, but much cheaper than the local MB quote I received.

Everything else was rather inexpensive, I did a lot myself with parts from FCP Euro (e.g. Cam Sensors, Air Filters, Intake Hoses etc).

Can't really comment on fuel economy, I don't daily my ML63, I have no idea what mileage I'm getting but compared to other V8's I've owned (e.g. LS1's) I don't think it's bad at all. The tank is huge, and obviously demands the best premium fuel.

Thank you very much for the information!!!

Well ,i live in Bulgaria so basically all the prices are very different at the local dealer.
I was asking because i plan on maintaining the car only in Mercedes official dealer.
Yeah... it is going to be pricey but i don't know any good indie workshops around here and i do not want to take the risk.

I have a w204 c300 cdi 4matic with the OM642 engine and at first the car was okay.

But duuuude now i have to replace hydralic pump,carrier bearing and a bunch of other things
1 year and 3 months ago when i bough it it had 219 000km
It is at 250 000 km now and i serviced it only in the official dealer but dude for this one year i had a VERY serious problem with the injectors,suspension some other ****ty stuff as well
i was planning on tunning it but man.....
im just gonna buy ML63 w166 and drive both cars equally 50/50 throughout the week

Im gonna see if im even going to fix this w204 cause honestly im a bit tired of only going to the official dealer
It takes A LOT of damn time with the official dealers in our country.....
and for the hydralic steering wheel pump and for the carrier bearings they want 3347 USD

I mean dude id rather pay that money for a ML 63 not a 230 hp C-class you know

Last edited by AMG1312; 08-16-2023 at 12:43 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by AMG1312:
C43 Fun Haver (08-17-2023), jcarsnz (08-16-2023)