Notices
New Members Check In! If you're new to MBworld!, please take a moment to check in, introduce yourself and show us your Benz!!

Just joined, 1st MB owned since my old "66" 200.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-10-2014, 04:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1986 300 E
Just joined, 1st MB owned since my old "66" 200.

Title pretty much says it all. Just joined to see what help I can get with my latest wheels. Just bought a 1986 300 E. Decent shape, but has some very basic MB problems to be be cured.

I restored my last MB back around the mid 80's. It was a 1966 200 four door that had been bought in Europe and brought back by a GI. Was unusual in that it had the M129 2.5 L 6 cylinder with a 4 on the column manual shifter, even though it was labeled "200" on the back. Either some model only available in Europe, or an engine swap was done prior to my buying it. Served as a family car for some years, but unfortunately went with my ex in the divorce! Cruised at highway speeds giving 30 mpg on regular gas and seated 6 quite comfortably.

This past week I found a nice 86 300 E on Craig's list and after a little discussion about the dealer/owner fixing a few things like putting in an ignition, (had a switch instead of a key!) replacing a cracked windshield and replacing the injector seals, I took possession of it.

Pretty in Champagne color and most things like the sun roof work well. (I'll post picts when I get a chance to take some.)

Glitches I see so far are:

1. A little hard to start, but haven't given it a tank of premium yet. Still running on the little fuel left in the tank, age and octane unknown. A new fuel filter is in the immediate future, along with oil and air maintenance.

2. Driver's door lock doesn't work from the outside. Key goes in and turns a bit, but nothing else happens. I thought it might have been replaced at one time and need a different key, (which I don't have) but It feels like the key turns enough to make contact with a non-functional power lock assembly. The button locks the door nicely from the inside and I don't believe it has power locks on any other door. The fuel door and trunk are manual operation and the door key works well on the passenger side, glove box and trunk. The rear doors work well with their respective buttons.

3. Driver side rear door window inoperative from console and door switch. I assume that is a window motor bad.

4. El cheapo Sony after market stereo works when it wants to, but I've got a nice unit begging to be swapped in. Power antenna naturally has been broken off, but a replacement isn't very much at AutoZone. Actually pulls in most stations as is, but not the low powered Classical Music Station my wife prefers!

5. A/C system has been "worked on". I traced the wires from a switch hanging from the center console to the A/C low pressure switch under the hood. Looks like perhaps an over ride for something, but haven't taken the time to troubleshoot it as I'll need to pump in some freon first.

I'll be perusing the forums to see if i can find answers to my questions, but any advice (especially about the lock problem) is much appreciated.

Thanks all
D. P. Allen
"Sin City", NV

Last edited by dall89115a; 04-10-2014 at 05:02 PM.